Stupid Question?

Not wishing to high jack the thread, but on a similar note.
All the guys who have used both American and English Flare tips, do they shave the same or are they completely different animals. I have a US flare tip and fancy giving an English one ago but don't see the point if they shave the same. I don't seem to get as comfortable shaves from the flare tip as i do with my HD rocket.
Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

dodgy wrote
Hi there,

Those are some good questions. Yeah, there's differences between vintage and new razors, but there's also differences between various new ones and various older versions. How's that?

How the razor is set up as far as weight, balance, and the head and handle design is gonna determine how it'll fit you. All those things add to the performance, pro or con.

Heh, this whole goofy 'hobby' is trial and error, and you gotta try more than one model razor to figure out what's up. The thing about razors and blades is it's all about comparisons. Right now you have zero reference point, and you can pick most of the razors out there to start with. My advice is to get one on the milder side, and stay away from slants or open combs for the moment.

The more popular vintage Gillettes are the various Tech and superspeed types. There's also some adjustables, and also there's other fixed head types that are well received and get very good reviews. All of those would be fine to start with.

The EJ DE89 is extremely popular if you wanna buy new. Yeah, you can see by the other posts that members love that head design.

Whatever one you get, don't change it for a month or so. You want to improve your technique so you can accurately judge the next razor you try. Keep using the same type blade for two weeks, so that when you switch you'll actually notice a difference between the two.

Ok, that's plenty for now. I hope some of what I typed will help somehow.

Martin
Cheers for that Martin,I'm actually out of breath reading that but as usual some great advice.

Scotty

I was kind of tempted to tell you to ignore all of the above and just get yourself a Merkur Futur, but half the fun is in trying out different razors and blades to find the combination you prefer. We all have our own preferences and you will get conflicting advice, however if you read a few posts you will see that some combinations come up as recommended again and again - those are a good starting point. Good luck with your quest :)

heroblob said:
All the guys who have used both American and English Flare tips, do they shave the same or are they completely different animals.
I can't compare flare tips, but I do have a 40s Superspeed and a 50s (flare tip) Rocket. Both are excellent shavers, not exactly mild but far from aggressive ... if anything the British razor has a touch more bite and it's a little heavier, but they're quite similar really. There's far more difference between the SS and my Aristocrat Junior which will be closer to your HD.

Back
Top Bottom