Strops In the UK

Hi all,

I have set myself a challenge for the year of only using a straight razor and was wondering (for the future shopping list) what are generally regarded as the best locally made (or assembled) strops in the UK?

I would prefer not to import from the US or Japan as I think it is nice to support local artisans at the moment.. but only if the quality is good enough!

I currently have a custom made one that I had made in South Africa when I lived for a few year which was superb but I took a terrible nick out of the face a few years ago and am currently using a cheap (but very servicable jobby) from the Invisible Edge whilst I get my technique down again that has served well for the last month or so and would be a nice back up.... but I like shiny things ;).

Cheers!

Not local, not shell cordovan, but a beauty from Poland.
If you like a long strop I can recommend Malevski strops. You can find him on etsy. Nice guy and good communication. I wanted a strop without linen and he made me one at a reduced price. Strop arrived within two weeks if I remember correctly and he didn't charge much for postage.

1609943660265.png

Hi all,

I have set myself a challenge for the year of only using a straight razor and was wondering (for the future shopping list) what are generally regarded as the best locally made (or assembled) strops in the UK?

I would prefer not to import from the US or Japan as I think it is nice to support local artisans at the moment.. but only if the quality is good enough!

I currently have a custom made one that I had made in South Africa when I lived for a few year which was superb but I took a terrible nick out of the face a few years ago and am currently using a cheap (but very servicable jobby) from the Invisible Edge whilst I get my technique down again that has served well for the last month or so and would be a nice back up.... but I like shiny things ;).

Cheers!
Alastair at Westholme has, hopefully, sent mine out today and from all I've heard it will be gorgeous.
I bought a rather (very very) expensive Japanese set last year, which is fantastic to strop with but the quality leaves a lot to be desired.
If your interested I'll post my thoughts once it has been used for a few weeks.

The Invisible Edge UK has some locally made strops as well as some awesome paddle strops imported from France including the Supex 77 modular paddle strop which I bought from them and is awesome.

Back
Top Bottom