Stropping

I bought two shave ready razors, and used each one around three times each without stropping and without issue. I enjoyed the experience, it was really easy too. However on B&B someone has stated I can't gave possibly shaved without stropping between shaves? Do you agree? I have put off stropping, so I just won't use my straights until I am in the mood to strop.

Do you need to strop between shaves?

There are many experts on here with regards to this, when I first started using straights I was absolutely useless at stropping, I didn't find any difference but once my stropping technique improved I stropped after and strangely before every use. I would recommend it now after every use. I'm not sure on your experience but it's worthwhile buying a cheap strop to practice on.

There are several variables. Steels vary in hardness. A larger bevel angle means a thicker piece of metal which should last longer than a very thin edge. How thick and tough your hair it is.

But everybody seems to unanimously recommend stropping every shave. Sometimes before AND after. If you let the edge degrade too much you might need to do more work in the long run ie a full-blown honing session instead of just stropping.

The Purpose of stropping is to realign and polish the edge that gets damaged while you shave. General wisdom says you should strop before each shave the idea being that you keep the edge maintained and repair the little bit of damage after each shave, rather than waiting until it gets too bad and needs to be honed. There is no doubt you could go several shaves without stropping and not really notice any deterioration in the edge.

It would be a good idea to get a strop , and the best advice I was given when I started was it is not a race so take your time and don't try to do the super fast stropping you see in videos, as when you are starting out you may cut or nick the strop. Which is why people often recommend you start out with a decent but inexpensive strop.

Most Folks Including Me..Strop a Razor for around 100 Sets or Between Shaves.. You Can Do Say 60 Sets After a Shave & Say 40 Before..Or 100 Sets in Total After a Shave..No Rights & Wrongs..I Would NOT Recommend Not Stropping Between Shaves..The Razors Edge will Get Blunt & Need Taken Back to a Refresh Hone in Jig Time.. :cool:

A Properly Honed Razor with Correct Stropping & a Touch Up on Pastes Here & There..Can Last for Many Months Depending on Shaving Skills, Light/Heavy Beards Etc..Yeah..I Could Get a Number of Shaves without Stropping But Hey..Its Nout Clever Never Mind a Matter of Mood..(y)

Billy

Back
Top Bottom