Stropping query?

The first consideration with strops is how good at stropping are you? If you are a novice then don’t use an expensive strop - use a cheaper one until you have the rhythm and rotation well rehearsed. There are a couple of points worth remembering - firstly, try and get a rotation where the spine never leaves the strop. So, starting at the bottom of the strop, move upwards with spine leading then rotate the edge over the spine before starting the downward movement - then bring the blade down and rotate the spine again.

Secondly, you need a reasonable speed - there’s no point moving the edge too slowly across the leather. If the spine is leading and you are keeping both spine and edge flat you will not cut the leather no matter how fast you go. However, you will cut your strop if you try and change direction without having full control of the blade. So, when learning, make an exaggerated stop and rotation before and after each stroke.

There are plenty of strops available - first of all try the want to buy section as plenty of people have tried but given up on straight razors. EBay has some very affordable makers or even second hand strops. A couple of makers of bette4 qualit6 are Westholme in UK and Scrupleworks in Scandinavia.

Last edited:
@UKRob I acquired an Alex Westholme Strop way before I got my razor! Having done some research into straight razor shaving and the tools needed, I soon learnt that a Westholme Strop was somewhat of a prize!?! That and they are rarely available these last couple of years, my wife managed to get in contact with him and it was the last time he has made any strops. As I wanted one with D Ring ends he gave me first choice of the x4 he had made. I feel very lucky and privileged to own one of these strops and yes it really is a thing of beauty!!!..... Once a week I get it (The Westholme strop) out and stroke it, with my hand NOT the razor!!! I ain't THAT stupid (the wife's arguing this point in the background)! I have a much lesser expensive strop that I put the blade on whilst learning the art.
Oh and just to brag I picked up an Edwardian Shaving stand off the Bay for 50 quid, dark green tiled top, towel rails either side, draw and locker plus an adjustable height mirror! May as well look the part even if I have no idea!?! ;)

Back
Top Bottom