Stropping a Gem blade

This is a bit too long for the SOTD thread and not quite a review so I thought I'd open a new thread.

I was chatting to Dick about Streamlines some time ago and he sent me a couple of carbon blades to try out - unfortunately I used one at the same time as first use of the Streamline and was not impressed - it was nowhere near as smooth as the coated version.

However, knowing that Dick quite likes them we discussed whether stropping might help so now that I have the strop to go with the machine I tried it out this morning. Unfortunately it didn't seem to make a great deal of difference - the shave was tuggy and again, nowhere near as comfortable as the coated blade.

Now for the strange part - after two passes and some Mysol Emulsion, it felt reasonably close and my skin was calm. Now some 13 hours later, I feel the same as when I have a very close shave whereas I expected to be a bit scruffy by now.

I don't think I'll be using the strop on a regular basis, it just doesn't seem worth it when the coated blades last a reasonable time but I wondered if anyone else had tried something similar.

Back
Top Bottom