Straw Hat's

The most famous straw hat's are Panama's, but there are others:

Panama
Made in Ecuador from Toquilla Palm, a palm-like plant rather than a true palm.
Available in different weaves and different styles.

Tamsui
Originally from Formosa, now Taiwan. Produced from the Fragrant/Tahitian Screw-Pine. At beginning of the 20th Century competed with the Panama.

Buntal
Originally from the Philippines, production moved to Hong Kong from the 1920's to 1960's. Made from Buri Palm. Mis sold as as the Panama.

Toya Straw
Rice paper straw originally from Japan.

Sisal Straw from a type of Agave.

Sinamay
Made from Abacá, a Banana plant from the Philippines. Introduced to the millinery world in the 90's for ladies head wear.

Milan Braid Straw hats from wheat originally in China.

Last edited:
The most famous straw hat's are Panama's, but there are others:

Panama
Made in Ecuador from Toquilla Palm, a palm-like plant rather than a true palm.
Available in different weaves and different styles.

Tamsui
Originally from Formosa, now Taiwan. Produced from the Fragrant/Tahitian Screw-Pine. At beginning of the 20th Century competed with the Panama.

Buntal
Originally from the Philippines, production moved to Hong Kong from the 1920's to 1960's. Made from Buri Palm. Mis sold as as the Panama.

Toya Straw
Rice paper straw originally from Japan.

Sinamay
Made from Abacá, a Banana plant from the Philippines. Introduced to the millinery world in the 90's for ladies head wear.
Very interesting, for someone like me who feels naked if I go out without a hat! :) P.

There are more straw hats than you can shake a stick at ! :) P.
Well I have been a Panama hat owner since attending Goodwood at age 16. I have read the articles and watched the video at Gentleman's Gazette. The Wikipedia page references Tamsui hats. Today I bought a genuine Toya hat. That caught my interest, what's genuine Toya? And your correct there are too many so here's a pretty comprehensive thread from FL.

I used to have a palm leaf sombrero I used for historical stuff. Great hat and at the end of the day I simply hosed it down outside with water & dish soap and then rolled it back into shape to air dry.

Unable to open above link?

Unable to open above link?

If you Google Straw types Fedora lounge you will find the thread.

Back
Top Bottom