Straight users - I salute you

Rik

Ok, up until now I've totally ignored the whole straight razor thing. Yes, they look great. Yes, it's as manly as wrestling a Grizzly bear; bare chested. But, the whole care and maintenance puts me off.

I happened across a Parker shavette on the Shaving Shack website. Yes, I know it's not a straight but I thought, 'Hmmm, not a bad price' and it would let me know whether I'd be remotely interested in graduating at a later date.

Well, I tried a shave on Sunday and blimey, it's difficult. OK I didn't cut myself but then again I only really did my cheeks and a little bit of my neck. I was just so aware of this naked blade against my bare skin. Perhaps the lack of weight in it and my shaky hands made it seem more dangerous than it was. ;-)

I finished off with a DE (overall a good finish) but it made me glad I hadn't spent money on the real deal just yet.

I think this is something that I'll continue to experiment with but fair play to you if you use one of these regularly.

Time to check a few threads out on technique!

antdad said:
Actually Rik I salute you. I found a shavette more difficult to use than the real thing.

+1 If you carry on with the shavette you´ll be a pro sooner rather than later. If you´re slightly off with the angel with a straight you don´t get punished as fast as with a shavette. I´m impressed you didn´t get a nick.

I think that 2 days growth and abject terror prevented me from getting a nick - it was like shaving in slow motion. :)

Rik,

They say that Shavette is not as forgiving as straight. I've never tried Shavette so I can't speak to its performance. I've never incurred anything more than just nick.

Have you given much thought about sticking with Shavette?

I have used it a few times since Ivan, normally at the weekend when I have a bit of extra time. I enjoy the experience but still need to finish with a DE. Using it right-handed is fine but I struggle a bit when I need to swap over to do the other side of my face.

Indeed does take a little getting used to. Even though I'm lefty, I'm predominantly right-handed but for whatever reason was able to do so with the left. Hang in there my friend you'll get it! May you have excellent shaves!

Back
Top Bottom