Straight Razor vs Shavette

I know most people start the other way round, but I started with the straight and have just bought a half DE blade Shavette , for those of you who use both is there much difference in the technique ?

My technique is simple. Hold the shavette firmly in your left hand and remove the half DE blade. Replace with one of the milder types of Feather AC-style blade and continue ;)

Otherwise, just be extra careful. It will probably be much sharper than your straights.

I tend to use long/er strokes with a real straight versus a DE shavette. The latter seems to benefit from short buffing strokes.

Vintage Weck shavettes (yeah, yeah ... change the record, mate) do feel more like straights and I use that same technique with longer strokes. I also enjoy a nape shaper with those thinner eyebrow blades from FEATHER or Cloud. Those have a real sing, like vintage framebacks.

Yea i agree Russel, I started with a Straight Razor,but with not much gear to maintain the Straight Razor i went and Bought Dovo Shavette (holds the Red Plastic Holder), Now i got Three Shavett's my latest one being A Dark Stag Kamisori Shavette that i am using. (Not much Mainanance required) As for technique well i aint really got one i just take my time and give the Weapon i'm using the respect it deserves
I also agree with the Post by Merkurologist above My Go To Razor Now

Attachments

• Dark Stag Kamisori Shavette.jpg
    Dark Stag Kamisori Shavette.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Focus Slim Al + Dove Shavette's.jpg
    Focus Slim Al + Dove Shavette's.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Now that Dark Stag is pretty! Since replying I have dug out a shavette and it is perfectly ok - where it really wins is during the shave I can get the whole thing wet (but not my straights) and afterwards I can chuck the blade (into the DE blade bucket) and a quick wipe dry, no need to spend a few minutes on the leather.

Back
Top Bottom