Straight Razor Shave of the Day

edge refreshed on the pasted balsa & buffalo strop...felt smooth and sharp...perhaps too sharp.
I am thinking that when you come off the diamond pasted balsa it is too sharp or harsh. Needs twice the passes on leather that I've normally given it, and even then, the second shave is better than the first after a refresh. I normally go 1mic /half /qtr/0.1um then 25 on linen and 50 on bovine but it's too much I think. I might try just using the 0.5um and then 100 laps on leather.

I've got a Welsh slate to try for my next hone, but I need to set aside some time to get to grips with it. The balsa is a quick fix for tired edges that I can do instead of sending the razors out, but I believe I'll get a better smoother edge if I get the time to learn the slate. I will try to go down to see John June at some point and see if he can show me the best way.

I am thinking that when you come off the diamond pasted balsa it is too sharp or harsh. Needs twice the passes on leather that I've normally given it, and even then, the second shave is better than the first after a refresh. I normally go 1mic /half /qtr/0.1um then 25 on linen and 50 on bovine but it's too much I think. I might try just using the 0.5um and then 100 laps on leather.

I've got a Welsh slate to try for my next hone, but I need to set aside some time to get to grips with it. The balsa is a quick fix for tired edges that I can do instead of sending the razors out, but I believe I'll get a better smoother edge if I get the time to learn the slate. I will try to go down to see John June at some point and see if he can show me the best way.
Hey, thanks for your comments!
Hmmm...sharp or harsh...that's something I'm trying to differentiate...
I only have issues on the neck areas...I am unable to cut efficiently below the jawline and hence I might have try too hard..
The final pasted balsa strop is on the 0.1um...
OTH, using the AC blades Shavette...I have no issues and I can get very efficient results...
Currently all my SRs are honed by a honemeister using Jnats and I am only maintaining using the pasted balsa strops. I do have the Naniwa 12k but find it's just ok...perhaps my skills are not good.
I am trying to reach the balance between smooth and sharp = comfortable & efficient.
I am very interested to get the La Lune stones from France...just waiting for sufficient budget for just the small size stone. The shipping is half the price of the stone...hahahaha.
Your Welsh slate sounds good. Try it and let me know...always interested in how others maintain their edge...within a reasonable budget...hahaha

Back
Top Bottom