Straight Razor Shave of the Day

Sun 18 SR Shave-Off SOTD
Soap B&M Cheshire
Brush Yaqi 26mm Rainbow
Razor 1 ZY430 Left Side
Razor 2 GD 208 Right Side
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Stirling Witchhazel MitA + Hyaluronic + B&M Cheshire AS Balm
This is one of my favorite soaps and scent! The performance is outstanding. Nice aromatic scent with a creamy and slick lather...
Today's shave-off was after assembling my 3 diamond pasted balsa strop accordingly to this forum method. The ZY430 was after the 3rd shave on a jnat edge while the GD 208 was supposed to be shave-ready from a vendor in Canada.
Both SRs was given the same laps on the 3 balsa strop then leather and wow...I finally know what's TTT...and it was between TTT-3 to TTT-4 (all according to a site where I found better with pictorials guidance)
After 3passes, my initial (inexperience) feel was the edge on both SRs is noticeably sharper & crispier but still as smooth but...more bite to it. The GD felt better...and the ZY is just a tad behind...not sure if my hand skills play a part. For sure both are sharper...2 weepers on ZY and 1 on GD but a better result...between ccs to as. Great stuff...!!
20210718_111340.jpg

In case anyone else is wondering what the definition of the various levels of treetop test are...
Hey, thanks for showing!
That's the site I refer to for these balsa strops and treetop tests. Mine recently jnat honed SRs can only give me TTT-1 and barely TTT-2. On the other hand, those jnat edge feels really comfy & smooth but just not removing much of my tough whiskers sufficiently...maybe due to my skills...

Hey, thanks for showing!
That's the site I refer to for these balsa strops and treetop tests. Mine recently jnat honed SRs can only give me TTT-1 and barely TTT-2. On the other hand, those jnat edge feels really comfy & smooth but just not removing much of my tough whiskers sufficiently...maybe due to my skills...
It could well be down to technique..if it’s the the same honer that’s put the edges on for you ! Different steels can have a different feel though. I found using different techniques and swapping hands until I had the angles dialled in helped tremendously with getting BBS irritation free every shave. The right side of my neck is a pain I found using a combination of both hands on this side to get those angles just right was the ticket to perfection every time

It could well be down to technique..if it’s the the same honer that’s put the edges on for you ! Different steels can have a different feel though. I found using different techniques and swapping hands until I had the angles dialled in helped tremendously with getting BBS irritation free every shave. The right side of my neck is a pain I found using a combination of both hands on this side to get those angles just right was the ticket to perfection every time
Hey, thanks for your feedback, appreciate it! I believe it is my techniques too that need to improve but as usual, there's some sorta impatience for better results. I am only just past 30 odd SR shaves since 2019... :LOL: I hope to be better with more. I had a long discussion with the local honer and he explains it quite well...to me at least regarding smooth vs sharp and natural vs synthetic stones vs pasted strop. It's all to own preference after all.
To summarize, I understand it as such, smooth may not be as sharp, while too sharp can be harsh (for some faces).
YMMV I guess. I just gotta find and get used to which edge/razor types for better enjoyment...

Hey, thanks for your feedback, appreciate it! I believe it is my techniques too that need to improve but as usual, there's some sorta impatience for better results. I am only just past 30 odd SR shaves since 2019... :LOL: I hope to be better with more. I had a long discussion with the local honer and he explains it quite well...to me at least regarding smooth vs sharp and natural vs synthetic stones vs pasted strop. It's all to own preference after all.
To summarize, I understand it as such, smooth may not be as sharp, while too sharp can be harsh (for some faces).
YMMV I guess. I just gotta find and get used to which edge/razor types for better enjoyment...
Totally agree with that a smoother edge doesn’t mean a shave not as close either it’s all about technique and sharper isn’t necessarily better.. it’s about patience with the straights it’s takes time but it’s worth it when you do find that sweet spot

Filarmonica 13P 13/16 Full Hollow Novodur
Grooming Dept Unscented Preshave
Eleven Amber,Patchouli and Oak Shave Soap
Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
Eleven Amber, Patchouli and Oak Aftershave
Eleven Amber, Patchouli and Oak Balm

Elite Razor Amboyna Burl Handle 24mm Silver Tip Badger Brush
32B204CD-26FD-4CEF-AFE6-7CCD9FFAE892.jpeg85BBFC8F-C365-48A2-BB4D-24D68F5DC267.jpegC5593069-4989-46D8-977A-5899780132A9.jpeg

Tue 20 SR SOTD
Soap La Toja Stick
Brush Yaqi 24mm Ruby Tuxedo
Razor Gold Dollar 208
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Alum + Stirling Witchhazel Orange Chill + Hyaluronic + Aqua Velva Musk
Another simple & budget soap that excels. Pleasant scent, easy to lather, nicely creamy, and very slick...
This is a shave with the razor after going thru the pasted balsa strop. Still smooth but noticeably sharper. Managed 3passes for sas++ results but with some creepers. My main area to improve is the atg stroke on the neck, it's too tentative...
20210720_092641.jpg

Back
Top Bottom