Straight Razor Shave of the Day

SoTd
Just had the perfect shave with my Koraat it’s such a nice shaver..the Zingari man no1 was very enjoyable makes a lovely slick almost dripping lather just the way I like it with the straights and both the post shave splash and balm are very nourishing ! Feeling super smooth and refreshed can’t beat that feeling...
2C837903-B349-4933-AE8F-6F63BCDDBD64.jpeg

SoTd
First run out with the Men-u limited edition Uber shaving brush and shave cream..I must say the brush did not disappoint super soft. The loft is a little higher than some knots of this size that makes it very good for painting but also no issues splaying the brush to face lather either ! The cream was a really good performer..easy to lather and had a nice fresh minty scent with a slight cooling, I’m not usually one to go for menthol in a soap or cream but this was really quite pleasant and I would certainly buy again. Overall I’m really happy with my purchases from men-u...the cream paired really well with the Nivea 2 phase ! I’ve been playing around somewhat with my Koraat lately and taking it to the paste gradually to get a feel for my preference on the edge..so far it’s going really well and I’m quite enjoying experimenting a little. Feeling super smooth and very refreshed !A8847D4C-6B4C-4AE8-8619-5BB01D01F4E0.jpeg

Nice. Your Koraats are quite lovely! What paste? CrOx? I've been maintaining my recently acquired vintage Baurmann with 0.5/0.25/0.1um diamond on balsa. Can't decide what to think, its not as good as when I got it, but better than it would have been had I relied solely on my linen and leather strop. It's a weird feeling, it's so 'comfortable' I start to wonder whether it's sharp enough, yet it seems to get the job done and shows little mercy if you lose concentration.

Nice. Your Koraats are quite lovely! What paste? CrOx? I've been maintaining my recently acquired vintage Baurmann with 0.5/0.25/0.1um diamond on balsa. Can't decide what to think, its not as good as when I got it, but better than it would have been had I relied solely on my linen and leather strop. It's a weird feeling, it's so 'comfortable' I start to wonder whether it's sharp enough, yet it seems to get the job done and shows little mercy if you lose concentration.
Thank you he makes some lovely razors..I have been using the CrOx and I really quite like it with just a few strokes on a sprung paddle but I also picked up some Iron Ox a little while back but only just given it a go again only a few strokes and I really like it..I haven’t tried any diamond pastes I did think about ordering some a while ago just for some variation to try but to be honest this seems to be working really well for me and as they say if it ain’t broke don’t try fix it..I have heard a number of people say they find the diamond a bit too harsh but others seem to really like it

Yep, and a dedicated strop with a rub of green is still cheaper than £60 on acrylic bars, £10 on balsa, and probably the same on diamond sprays (I have 1 mic diamond too, which I used to successfully sort out a ding on my Bracht Tennis). OK so CrOx has a wider particle size distribution but people have been using it for years with good results. In all honesty I probably should have got another strop and some green Dialux and kept the rest for when I think I am ready to try honing on a Naniwa 12k but I naïvely thought the diamond strop would be easier (hey maybe it is, but easier isn't the same as easy...). I want a vorpal blade and I want it now! As Lewis Carroll never wrote, or maybe his publisher edited that bit out...

Last edited:
Yep, and a dedicated strop with a rub of green is still cheaper than £60 on acrylic bars, £10 on balsa, and probably the same on diamond sprays (I have 1 mic diamond too, which I used to successfully sort out a ding on my Bracht Tennis). OK so CrOx has a wider particle size distribution but people have been using it for years with good results. In all honesty I probably should have got another strop and some green Dialux and kept the rest for when I think I am ready to try honing on a Naniwa 12k but I naively thought the diamond strop would be easier (hey maybe it is, but easier isn't the same as easy...).
Yeh I’m not saying I would never try the diamond maybe further down the line I will give it a go. Again I have heard some people say they find the CrOx a little harsh too and I believe it’s used more so for coming off the stones or perhaps very sparsely between shaves. I believe the Iron Ox is more for keeping and edge sharp between shaves and CrOx for refreshing and edge that’s gone off a little between honing before taking it back to a finisher or at least that’s my understanding but I’m fairly new to it all myself. The balsa would be fine I guess with the Iron Ox to save costs..I just use a paddle strop with interchangeable beds purely because I find it really nice to use but it’s certainly not a necessity. The Iron ox is lovely and smooth to shave from I really like it..I will put a link I was given for it

SoTd
Just had a lovely shave..had another go on the finishing stone today with the little gold dollar, been rewatching a video that was recommended to me of a Japanese style of honing that I really quite liked the look of so watched it through again and gave it a try today.

It was nice and simple and it just suited me I really started to get the hang of it, taking it very slow still but felt as though I was getting somewhere think this will be the style I stick to I really like it. Not sure I’m confident enough to take an expensive razor to the stone yet but in time with more practice..in no rush !

The shave itself was quite nice smooth and sharp..really enjoyed the SV not used it in a while feeling nice and smooth and refreshed
0A80D4E3-60F8-482E-B4A1-BD780AA8DE3B.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom