Straight Razor - Opinions/Input

Crossan

Supporter
Supporter
Hi All,

Don't know whether this is necessarily appropriate but I've been offered the below 6/8 razor. It looks to be in decent nick but I don't know much about this particular one so I don't whether it's worth bothering with. It's an aside to the one I actually want from the guy I'm dealing with.

Does anyone have any experience with these to say whether they're any good or even what they might be worth?

Any input would be most welcome!

Cheers

Marc
popo2-1-of-1.jpgpopo3-1-of-1.jpgpopo4-1-of-1.jpgpopo5-1-of-1.jpg

Oh and the fella said it was 'near NOS', so there shouldn't be any hidden damage or at least any really flaws. I have no reason to doubt his description, all my dealings with him to date have been flawless.

So It is Japanese and in truth I have not seen a bad Japanese Razor I have a real soft spot for them , generally the steel has a harder feel against the face will be a little harder than your German Razors. If the price is good I would say it is definitely a good razor , and will shave extremely well.

So It is Japanese and in truth I have not seen a bad Japanese Razor I have a real soft spot for them , generally the steel has a harder feel against the face will be a little harder than your German Razors. If the price is good I would say it is definitely a good razor , and will shave extremely well.
Just out of interest Russ how would you say the steel on the Japanese razors compare with the steel on the TI’s ? I quite enjoy that hard feel of the steel !

Nice one, I was tempted anyway just for the look of it. He's asking €50, so roughly £40 at the moment with exchange rates, which I didn't think unreasonable considering I've just chucked that and a bit more at some soap that I don't need!

It's going to come hand in hand with another Friodur (I really love those razors!) so it's an added extra.

Does that sound a fair price?

Nice one, I was tempted anyway just for the look of it. He's asking €50, so roughly £40 at the moment with exchange rates, which I didn't think unreasonable considering I've just chucked that and a bit more at some soap that I don't need!

It's going to come hand in hand with another Friodur (I really love those razors!) so it's an added extra.

Does that sound a fair price?
That price is extremely reasonable.

That price is extremely reasonable.
Grand thank you, it seemed like it would be but just wasn't sure as I couldn't find all that much info on it.

Like I said the guy has been grand, looks like I'm going to be getting another 2 incoming. I'm going to have another gander at the 'sneaking in shaving tackle' thread!

Grand thank you, it seemed like it would be but just wasn't sure as I couldn't find all that much info on it.

Like I said the guy has been grand, looks like I'm going to be getting another 2 incoming. I'm going to have another gander at the 'sneaking in shaving tackle' thread!
Once you’ve learnt how to hone you can just claim it’s somebody else’s and they’ve sent it to you for honing..should work a treat lol

Very Strange....I just bought one, a near wedge as I think yours is, it arrived last week but just got it on the stones tonight, a few wee micro chips that honed out easily and the steel is indeed hard but it glides over the stones, the resulting edge really was very sharp, I gave it 20 laps on crox and 50 on latigo and it is superbly sharp, looking forward to shave with it tomorrow.
I also got a 4/8 No:10 Puma to add to my other two Pumas, this will need to be put to the buffer before I hone it, but the edge looks good with no damage, I think I'm gonna like these two razors, but I really need to move some on and I hate selling them

Very Strange....I just bought one, a near wedge as I think yours is, it arrived last week but just got it on the stones tonight, a few wee micro chips that honed out easily and the steel is indeed hard but it glides over the stones, the resulting edge really was very sharp, I gave it 20 laps on crox and 50 on latigo and it is superbly sharp, looking forward to shave with it tomorrow.
I also got a 4/8 No:10 Puma to add to my other two Pumas, this will need to be put to the buffer before I hone it, but the edge looks good with no damage, I think I'm gonna like these two razors, but I really need to move some on and I hate selling them
I hadn't really paid attention to be fair, just seemed like a bargain. But looking at it, it doesn't seem as chunky as my 72-V but not as fine as some of my others. Happy medium perhaps (forgive the terrible pictures, my phone has its limits).

20210623_160446.jpg

It is a nice shaver though, the couple of outings it's had have been no nonsense clean shaves! Hope you got on well with yours as well!

Back
Top Bottom