Straight Newbie question.

Hey Guys,

Im sure you've heard this before so I'll keep it short.

Im thinking about trying a straight, should I use a shavette first (which I already have) or get a proper straight and strop and start there?

Cheers

Andy

As I understand it a shavette is very unforgiving of any mistakes, DE blades tend to be sharper than straight.

I've chosen to stick with learning how to use a "proper" straight, but if I had a shavette I think I would certainly have a go with it but not be disheartened if I ended up with a few cuts. Just make sure you have a styptic pencil or some Proraso cut cream!

It may not be considered the wisest thing to do, but if I had a shavette I'd give it a go. There must be plenty of tips you could turn up which should help you get the best out of it. Like this:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://shaveblog.com/?p=12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://shaveblog.com/?p=12</a><!-- m -->

I'd go for a proper straight. Otherwise it's like learning to ride a motorbike so that you can drive a car, they're different things.

Having said that, I've never shaved with a shavette, so I could be talking out of my bum.

Yea I probably should shoot for a straight but it's the cost outlay for something that may not work for me............. but then again I might be great at it ;)

It's a much steeper learning curve and a straight is much less forgiving, but ah man can't you feel your cojones growing every time you shave?

cheese_dave said:
<not expurgated just shortened:> ... but ah man can't you feel your cojones growing every time you shave?

I guess it must be all the blood shifting from one head t'other what makes it more dangerous, rather than just the big, exposed, blade a mere nerve spasm away from severing arteries and veins and such ...

I started straight shaving with a shavette and it is a diffrent animal from a real straight.
It depends on the the holder you are using for the blade the one closest to a real straight is the green one that takes the longer hair shaper blades.

PS. learning with a shavette is a bloody affair. The sharps ends of the blades will bite you :mrgreen:

Give it shot, you can get them dirt cheap.

If you like it then you'll probably like a straight, if you don't like it you might still like a proper straight though.

Careful they're bloody dangerous, see what I did there?

I already have a shavette which I bought years ago with the intention of trying however this was pre-TSR and pre-DE days and I tried it and realised I didn't have a bloody clue what I was doing.

I know more now from what I've learnt on here about blade angles and zero pressure so Im gonna give the shavette a college try. Time and a light hand and I'll see where I get.

Go for a straight. Do it 'poperly', but don't expect good shaves quickly. It's hard work.

Have a word with Neil Miller. He knows his stuff and he's a proper Gent.

Ian

I picked up a cheap shavette for travel use when I was already using a straight, gr8 shaves with the "proper" razor, never did get a decent result with the shavette & constantly cut myself. If you try the shavette & don't like it, don't let it put you off the real thing. I found the straight way easier to handle and come to terms with.
JohnnyO.

Back
Top Bottom