Storm Eunice

I remember 1987 reasonably well. It was indeed a surprise, not least because our pretty much once a day forecast told us it wasn't going to amount to much. When a town called Seven Oaks loses six of them, it really wasn't nothing.

Today, we have much better and clearer information. Not only the forecasters, but us ... we can look at our local weather, we can use peer-validated data from the likes of DarkSky or look to Windy.com for a clear picture of what's going on. Whether all that gives us a clearer picture is one thing, whether it puts our minds at rest is another ... the more data, the more uncertainly.

Sad to read of the loss of life yesterday. Four people, apparently. On raw data, compare to 1987 with 18 lives lost. Back to the data - forewarned is forearmed and I do think we took way more precautions than strictly necessary yesterday, but it was a one-off and I think the calls that were made were right.

Keep safe, folks ...

I see strong winds (relatively) are still in place today for many of yesterday's affected areas and continues into tomorrow. Our part of the country is due "heavy snow" and then 45-50 mph for about 20 hours starting tomorrow. I guess that'll blow off the fields and fill all the roads in again.

-LPU41-4luC6YqECXyj48vtEfIw5-WQsPEbw-qIM3pv_U2h5TQB2xVb-ktIoO8wOlZyMOipJQBKbBhUMR-QCOLHrz7YKKcUi7yc-DquvafjRyNFuIjkEKUlJlGlMWOKyRYOyRym8OW8Sn4xVZ3bIXfD3E5-hr7sS8eYpy0j-wEw_msck_G8SjCJIGTwYZsROaFcm7Lse0QmvzX1aXsVQ7rvs6QEdT3Qgkw9LFLj-QBWodxKrgR4qLRw019Wr9zj6FlTcFzp50z8ng8-vCFQdAbWq_6v6CJnSEMbhP7ZzEPGYujJmnJ43RRYAiIENiquXAz5AFIi_b_CGrpMJuPma1qU2QSIyPNYyAd0sFx2hZew4EIac2ODF6MHXrfTsU89wpOuOZO91cqM9klGupc5r9HUOBo_raVGjdk-lQ2NwUUnGwrEVI5atVS-b76cPys6uxgFm4innkEGkm07czuBgdZK6h900r0HZkMtMILo55UtdqTQOu7ybZI2449TcU5ohQ6SH9ifWZuiXqH0YbsqCbj2QYu56tvPPAk-Zlvyz5Gy3hEOk2XKBkVRl1_A96EFRb_F8W4xi9witdIMNTM5IaHR9YZ8Gr47Bfwm0r8oblInbyQn-S-YrgnV8rbRkcO_iKTGlZODO3OtS-hEjgUx3U6s6hEb2PeuPXRixn6gDJYJVmdCdlEfqP08nbMMnLTAcmWPLhBtlyLXdJfv2-AUK06nC=w1600-h1200-no

^ from 2013 when we had snow and sideways winds.
thats bad mate, had to look close to realise that was the top of a car!

dont remember where but in pakistan a certain place had really had snow and people died stuck i their cars, think even the pakistani army had to intervene to help people out, i dont really know the in'7s and outs though

I remember the 87 storm. "it might be a bit breezy". Classic British understatement! Poor old Michael Fish. Actually I think a lot of people lost faith in the Wet Office after that. But that was before they had all the tech and satellite data and modelling etc. Even so, its not going to be 100% accurate. Sevenoaks actually has 8 now, cos when the 6 were blown down and the 7th damaged, they planted another 7. But the damaged one survived. Still one cannot go about willy nilly renaming places every time the number of trees changes can one?!

Last edited:
Blimey! The little paved strip at the front of my house is now a paddling pool! I can see actual torrents of water running down the fields - the poor folks at the valley bottom are going to get some flash-flooding. That was some sustained downpour!
I'm not too far from Halifax & I think today's weather is the worse so far from the recent storms. The rain in this corner of Yorkshire is absolutely torrential. Backed up with some stonking wind :oops:

I Remember 87 very well, was in TA Royal Engineers in East Anglia ,and scheduled to do Battle Fitness runs! Instead we went out with chainsaws and plant to assist in clearance of local roads.
Meanwhile wife and sons at home in Kent where the Storm also raged.

Wickes completely sold out of fence panels.
Need 3 so far
One side of mine is fencing, newly put up to a high standard by the chap next door. It's a holiday home . On the other side, I have a high hedge of yellow and red plums, with rather a lot of ivy in it, and which requires regular trimming, on both sides, from a stepladder. The neighbour that side constantly complained about this, and wanted me to put up fencing instead. I pointed out that, in this rather windy coastal area, fences had a nasty habit of flying off in the general direction of Holland, but I'd not seen any 6 foot high and 60 yard long hedges heading in that direction.

Back
Top Bottom