Storm Eunice

There's been people killed by trees falling on their cars. I've lost a tile off the roof, but my missus has been driving around London all day in it. She told the boss it wasn't safe on the roads and the greedy idiot gave her extra appointments to teach her how to be subordinate. I wanna slap him.
She needs to own the word "no", no job is worth dying for.

Unfortunately not. Thank you for your concern though Tony. I'm pretty wound up too. She made it home safe and is looking for a new job as a matter of urgency.

And it's widespread. We've just had another lass get signed off for 3 weeks with stress. No word from management, they didn't acknowledge it or even come on the 9am micromanagement meeting to tell us we're going to have more to do, never mind reassure us. When I flagged that I was suffering from tachycardia and raised blood pressure and lack of sleep, he said "welcome to 2021". He won't read this, too much facial hair! But they're merciless gits. I'm looking around too. They may not take it too well if I quit, but I shall just say "welcome to 2022". Gotta find something else myself first though!

Last edited:
I have seen it happen, its real hard to stand up, however that's the background I came from. It was easy for me a skill set of manual and managerial techniques taught by my Dad - n best mate.
My teams always respected me as I took the time to try to get to know them and their needs, they made me.
These days, instead of wanting to work for your bosses out if friendships and loyalty. They expect kissass because they did it to get there.
No no.no.

Our house has emerged relatively unscathed and the garden furniture has returned following its adventure. The fence held the line but has permanently settled itself at a 60 Deg angle - need to make a plan for repair as both my garden and next door's are used by each others children. Need it safe. Both neighbours either side have sustained roof damage (one reasonably significant). No injuries though - that's the most important thing.

@hotmetal - sorry to hear about the situation your missus was put in. Completely unnecessary.

I was a small child during the 1987 storm - I don't recall anything about it - but yesterday had the strongest winds I've ever seen. My thought go out to those that have had their lives significantly impacted by Eunice. I consider our household very lucky.

Last edited:
I remember 1987 reasonably well. It was indeed a surprise, not least because our pretty much once a day forecast told us it wasn't going to amount to much. When a town called Seven Oaks loses six of them, it really wasn't nothing.

Today, we have much better and clearer information. Not only the forecasters, but us ... we can look at our local weather, we can use peer-validated data from the likes of DarkSky or look to Windy.com for a clear picture of what's going on. Whether all that gives us a clearer picture is one thing, whether it puts our minds at rest is another ... the more data, the more uncertainly.

Sad to read of the loss of life yesterday. Four people, apparently. On raw data, compare to 1987 with 18 lives lost. Back to the data - forewarned is forearmed and I do think we took way more precautions than strictly necessary yesterday, but it was a one-off and I think the calls that were made were right.

Keep safe, folks ...

I see strong winds (relatively) are still in place today for many of yesterday's affected areas and continues into tomorrow. Our part of the country is due "heavy snow" and then 45-50 mph for about 20 hours starting tomorrow. I guess that'll blow off the fields and fill all the roads in again.

-LPU41-4luC6YqECXyj48vtEfIw5-WQsPEbw-qIM3pv_U2h5TQB2xVb-ktIoO8wOlZyMOipJQBKbBhUMR-QCOLHrz7YKKcUi7yc-DquvafjRyNFuIjkEKUlJlGlMWOKyRYOyRym8OW8Sn4xVZ3bIXfD3E5-hr7sS8eYpy0j-wEw_msck_G8SjCJIGTwYZsROaFcm7Lse0QmvzX1aXsVQ7rvs6QEdT3Qgkw9LFLj-QBWodxKrgR4qLRw019Wr9zj6FlTcFzp50z8ng8-vCFQdAbWq_6v6CJnSEMbhP7ZzEPGYujJmnJ43RRYAiIENiquXAz5AFIi_b_CGrpMJuPma1qU2QSIyPNYyAd0sFx2hZew4EIac2ODF6MHXrfTsU89wpOuOZO91cqM9klGupc5r9HUOBo_raVGjdk-lQ2NwUUnGwrEVI5atVS-b76cPys6uxgFm4innkEGkm07czuBgdZK6h900r0HZkMtMILo55UtdqTQOu7ybZI2449TcU5ohQ6SH9ifWZuiXqH0YbsqCbj2QYu56tvPPAk-Zlvyz5Gy3hEOk2XKBkVRl1_A96EFRb_F8W4xi9witdIMNTM5IaHR9YZ8Gr47Bfwm0r8oblInbyQn-S-YrgnV8rbRkcO_iKTGlZODO3OtS-hEjgUx3U6s6hEb2PeuPXRixn6gDJYJVmdCdlEfqP08nbMMnLTAcmWPLhBtlyLXdJfv2-AUK06nC=w1600-h1200-no

^ from 2013 when we had snow and sideways winds.

Back
Top Bottom