Storm Eunice

Storm Eunice brings provisionally highest gust ever recorded in England​

The wind gust of 122mph at the Needles on the Isle of Wight is provisionally the highest gust ever recorded in England, the Met Office has said.

0e3de39e25b34f6641380cc10f792c58.gif

Storm Eunice brings provisionally highest gust ever recorded in England​

The wind gust of 122mph at the Needles on the Isle of Wight is provisionally the highest gust ever recorded in England, the Met Office has said.
Yikes, that’s too close for comfort: My wife’s family is from Yarmouth, which is a short distance from The Needles. Haven’t heard anything yet, but hope all is well. On the other side of the Solent, our families are a short distance from Southampton and they report that two very old large trees have come down across the way; fortunately no one hurt and little other damage.

Good to hear that the worst is past now. I do hope folks are safe and that they get their properties and lives back into order.

It certainly looked a bad one down there. We got it quite easy in our part of the world with the highest hourly average I saw on the BBC Weather website for our postcode being 65 mph today. Jokingly, we call it "big coat weather" as in "you'll need your big coat". I kept an eye on Cornwall and South Wales today and saw one or two hourly averages running over 80 mph. Gusts, of course were higher. Crazy!

I suppose one of the comforts we have in our part of the country is that strong winds are quite commonplace and so anything that could blow away already has. It's always fun putting up something new like a shed and wondering if it'll still be there after the next high winds.

Back
Top Bottom