sticking with it but not making great progress

I shaved with the razor I received from Neil tonight and I was a little disappointed that despite this razor being appreciably sharper than the one I've been using the shave wasn't much better.

So, that means its down to technique! Practice, practice, practice.

So what would you straight shaves say are the most important things to concentrate on?

Jeltz said:
I shaved with the razor I received from Neil tonight and I was a little disappointed that despite this razor being appreciably sharper than the one I've been using the shave wasn't much better.

So, that means its down to technique! Practice, practice, practice.

So what would you straight shaves say are the most important things to concentrate on?

I hold the notion that this form of shaving is so totally technique dependant, in meaning you need to have practiced until you can constantly angle the blade and manoeuvre/manipulate said blade without having to concentrate to the extent that it spoils the shave.

Nearly all the people I’ve spoken to, or read about who have paid to have a straight shave, mainly comment on how close the shave wasn’t, compared to a shave by their own hand. (Plenty of absolute horror stories as well).

So it really boils down to practice, practice, and practice.
Good luck.

I would say approx. 20 shaves will get you to the point where you "know" your face and razor well enough for getting a descent shave. Of course it depends on how your face is constructed and how many problem areas you have, but I wouldn´t concentrating on them - try and get an even shave without over working it and then you´ll be on the way :shave . Just my two pennies though.

Thanks all!

I shall get it sorted, I know that 100 years ago straight shaving was the rule not the exception so I know that I can get it sorted with practice.

Back
Top Bottom