SS Flare my new fav razor

I'm fairly new to DE shaving. Started using a High street jobbie around Xmas. Plumped for a vintage razor back in April as I couldn't wait for my birthday when I was getting a new razor.

The SS Flaretip was bought via another forum and was a world apart from the cheapo that I started with. Bitten by the bug I found a birthyear Slim adjustable and then not long after got a new EJ 86.

I've tried different blades and stuck mainly with the Slim and the EJ. Although each shave is good, I always manage to get a weeper and some irritation on the neck. I suspect my technique is to blame. Tonight I thought I give the SS a go, put in a new blade and had a super shave. No irritation and no nicks.

The razor does feel lighter than the other two, so maybe I'm using too much pressure, but I really enjoyed tonights shave more than any I've had recently. I think the SS is my new fav, go-to razor. Perhaps I'll seek out a birth-year version!

It is a fantastic all-rounder. A bit milder than the EJ...

Might be obvious but have you used your slim adjustable on low settings? I thought it would be ineffective but my friend had only ever used one DE - the Merkur "1904" replica - and while he loved most aspects of the shave he said it could sometimes leave him a bit sore. Since he wouldn't try other blades I lent him a Tech and he loves it and hasn't had any problems since. Seting 3 or even 2 might be the answer, if only till you get all the other elements right?

I might turn it down a notch. It's set to 4 at the mo, so maybe go lower until my technique is better might be the answer.

Still doesn't take away from the fact the shave was just great and the handling of the SS felt good.

yep - I'm struggling with the Slim. I want to like it, but it's not feeling the same. I guess I need to use it more and be patient.

Back
Top Bottom