SR Rotation

I have seen that 7 day SR sets exist and have seen an article mentioning a requirement to rotate razors in order that the edge is given time to realign.

Is there any actual basis upon which rotation is beneficial, if so what we be the miminum rotation set required.. For the moment I have 2 SRs, an Aust and an Ebay special and several DE's so rotation would not be a problem amongst differing razors but I have now gained the preference for the SRs.

Is it really worh acquiring another quality SR?

The old saw about razor needing a rest to re-align was dismissed years ago. Most users simply strop after use and then again immediately before.
I’ve always assumed that seven day sets were designed with travelling or military manoeuvres in mind so that you were assured of a decent edge even if you were away from home for a long time. From a practical point of view, using the same razor each day poses no problems - the desire to buy more razors is just to experiment and try different designs. I certainly like to use a different razor - straights and SE - each time I shave in the same way that I vary shaving soaps. It’s just part of the enjoyment I guess.

Ok thanks Rob, that clears up the myth part of things for me..

Agreed about trying other razors and stuff.. I am currently looking at the Koraats but they are kinda pricey....

I think if you're good at honing you could get away with 1 razor. Having 2 means you've one still to hand while the other is away being re-honed. More than that is probably early symptoms of RAD! I currently have 3, because I'm curious about different shapes and sizes. Those 7 day sets are impressive, as collectors pieces, but anachronistic in terms of practical necessity. If I were to have 7 I'd want 7 different ones. Different shaped points, different widths, different grinds, different scale designs etc.

@UKRob , your are a wicked man for providing me that link ;) . I ended up making a new order... Had some great contact with Sergej, and finally went for a 22-23mm, (I think that this translates to roughly 7/8") , transparent orange scaled, 1/4 hollow ground, hand crafted piece of Latvian artisanry.... ( 167€ postage included for my version).. I already own a Ralf Aust 5/8" so this will afford me a new experience.. I am interested to see the difference with this larger blade.

@hotmetal, I have the necessary equipment now, in terms of the stones, and have already began honing for myself, so I can avoid the problem associated with sending a razor away for honing . However, I wholeheartedly agree with you that if I had a set of 7, I to would have preferred to have different blade widths, grinds, materials etc in order to benefit from the choice.

It's a strange thing but now that I am become accustomed to using a straight razor I seldom use a DE. Now when I use a DE it feels almost too easy, if that makes sense almost as if the lack of the challenge removes any interest. Maybe it's just the novelty factor but I hope that it doesn't wear off...

Back
Top Bottom