Spanish or French?

Hi All and Happy New Year.
I have a bit of an issue with French Toes/Points as against Spanish.
I have a 50/50 split of Spanish to French/Spike razors but always prefer shaving with the more rounded Spanish.
This is mainly due to the fact I will invariably nick myself with the French/Spike toe and never nick with the Spanish.
What am I doing wrong with my technique as some of my lovely razors aren't being used as much as my favourite Spanish?
Speak to all later.

Hi All and Happy New Year.
I have a bit of an issue with French Toes/Points as against Spanish.
I have a 50/50 split of Spanish to French/Spike razors but always prefer shaving with the more rounded Spanish.
This is mainly due to the fact I will invariably nick myself with the French/Spike toe and never nick with the Spanish.
What am I doing wrong with my technique as some of my lovely razors aren't being used as much as my favourite Spanish?
Speak to all later.
I would suggest putting your round tip razors away and just shave with your square ended one's, and you will soon learn to take more care when shaving and with more practice you will eventually become proficient with any style of straight razor.

Paul.

I would suggest putting your round tip razors away and just shave with your square ended one's, and you will soon learn to take more care when shaving and with more practice you will eventually become proficient with any style of straight razor.

Paul.
Thanks Paul,

BUT, BUT, BUT my round points are beautiful things and I would hate to put them away.
Do you think it may be that I'm using the front edge of the 'sharps', like you would with a round and should be using the back edge more.

Thanks Paul,

BUT, BUT, BUT my round points are beautiful things and I would hate to put them away.
Do you think it may be that I'm using the front edge of the 'sharps', like you would with a round and should be using the back edge more.
The only reason I said try putting your round tips away until you master the square tip is because you will better get the feel for the razor and how to shave with it if it's the only type you use.......it's like learning to drive a car, your driving instructor will turn up with the same car every lesson because it's easier than if he arrived in a different car every lesson.
Practice practice practice. You can do it!

Paul.

The only reason I said try putting your round tips away until you master the square tip is because you will better get the feel for the razor and how to shave with it if it's the only type you use.......it's like learning to drive a car, your driving instructor will turn up with the same car every lesson because it's easier than if he arrived in a different car every lesson.
Practice practice practice. You can do it!

Paul.
OK
I'll give it a go but every time I nick I will be cursing your name.

Most of that sentence sounds like me talking to my wife!
Problem with watching the tip is that I'm quite short sighted and with the rounds I can (more or less) shave with my eyes closed.
I may need to invest in a magnifying mirror.
That would be a good start, it's probably best for you to be able to see what you are doing when shaving with your square point's!

Paul.

Rub the point against something hard until the edge is gone and it won't cut. Wet & dry sandpaper would get it done quickly. A light touch would do it: probably don't want to grind the point away completely.

UPDATE!!!
Just had a nick free shave with one of my French Points.
I've realised that I have to keep an eye on the edge, about an 1/8th" from the point.
Still prefer the Spanish though.

Back
Top Bottom