SOTY awards 2019

It might just be in my head but I'm convinced it's softer. Works fantastically with soaps and provides a lovely silvertip feel softness when used.

Do you have the Yaqi Rainbow/Faux Horse? I have that brush and the tips are incredibly soft, but I find the fibres to be very soft, maybe too soft if anything. The Yaqi brush I tend to use the most is the Plissoft one as I prefer the fibres as they are thicker than the Faux Horse ones, and prefer the face feel of thicker fibres (as I do for boar brushes as well)

I've just conducted a very scientific test on your behalf: 24mm Yaqi Plissoft vs 24mm Yaqi Tuxedo vs 24mm Yaqi New Brown vs 26mm Yaqi Horse Synthetic. The test involved finger and face rubbing.

Conclusions:
The Plissoft definitely has the most backbone and the thicker feeling fibres. This is closely followed by the Tuxedo. The Mew Brown definitely feels softer than these two and has a little less backbone. The horse synthetic feels a little less scritchy than the Mew Brown (although the Mew Brown is not a scritchy fibre) but has a bit more spring rather than backbone if that makes any sense

Well, this could change (especially as I'm waiting for a Gillette New Standard in the post). It's also relative to DE shaving; as I seem to have been favouring that this year, due to purchases. But at time of writing...

Razor - Gillette New No. 88
Blade - Gillette Silver Blue
Brush - Yaqi Tuxedo 24mm synth
Soap - Phoenix and Beau Denali
Post shave - Thayer's
After shave - Fine American Blend

I do have a fondness for the vintage Gillettes Whether it's the Techs, Olds, and New. Also , the GSBs have been a revelation (it was a close thing between them and Personna Med Preps).

The Yaqi brush has performed well this year: it lost a bristle or two early on; but probably due to quality control and it's settled down. Slightly stiffer than my RazoRocks; but still a good face latherer.

Phoenix and Beau Denali is a great soap, imo. It has an almost ‘gummy' quality and provides a lovely cushion and glide. Quite the face freezer too.

Finally, Fine's American Blend really is a cracker. Unusually for an after shave, its scent hangs around for quite some time.The usual ingredients; water, menthol, alcohol and fragrance. The scent, allegedly, is supposed to be a nod to Rive Gauche by YSL (which I haven't experienced). It also provides a smashing post-shave feeling.

That's an excellent test! Thanks for posting it and it makes a lot of sense as well.

Thanks for all your support Chris. Have a great Xmas and all the best for the New Year
Regards Brian

Thanks Chris for all your supportive and kind words. Have a great Xmas and All The Best for the New Year. Regards Brian

That's kind of you
Have a great Xmas and all the best for the New Year
Regards Brian

Having started “proper” shaving earlier this year and already RAD inflicted my approach to this is what would I happy to use on its own.
Well I'd happily use only my Timeless razor, and more than happy to use only Brian's Signature soaps. In fact I only use other soaps occasionally and as a reference and then only for a day at a time.

Cheers Paul. Happy New Year
Regards Brian

My favorites of the year:

Razor : Tatara Masamune - Pretty much the only Razor I use now, wonderful craftsmanship and a nice mild shave.

Soap : Barrister and Mann Le Grand Chypre - My favorite soap scent ever it's so strong and heady. The soap base itself performs great although i have noticed it takes me longer to lather than most soaps.

Brush : Simpson's Chubby Synthetic - I only use synthetic brushes now and this is my favorite knot. The densest synthetic i've ever come across and creates huge lathers.

Blade : Thai Gillette Super Thin - The combo of this blade and the Tatara are virtually all I use. I've stocked up on plenty of these blades now, they've overtaken the Rapira Plantinum Lux as my favorites.