SOTD : Saturday 6 August - Friday 12 August 2022.

Osw8rh5.jpg

This is an excellent pre-shave cleanser!!

SOTD

Prep, Flannel & Hot Water
Brush, Yaqi
Razor, Fatboy (5 for 3 grain pass)
Blade, Supermax Diamond Edge (1st use)
Soap, PAA Good Vibrations
Post, Zingari Man The Gatherer

I have a slim adjustable and a super adjustable. And usually use a higher setting but thought a 5 would be fine to start with. The soap was thick on application not particularly creamy, but i'll put this down to operator error and not enough water. I was also lathering direct from the soap not a bowl like i normally do.

I had a few issues in getting the angle right. Again, operator error most likely. Had similar with the super adjustable i used yesterday. A comfortable 3 pass shave, no irritation / nicks / cuts / weepers etc. I have to be honest and say it does not feel as clean and close as the super adjustable. That was on 6 throughout.

But i'm going to experiment with the Fatboy and see what happens. Thanks to the owner for the opportunity to have this experience though.

Best,

Ben

Saturday AM 2022-08-06
National Trap Day
0ob9ovs.jpg

Rooney 1/2 Faux Horn Finest (24/50)
Martin de Candre shaving soap
LASSC BBS-1/UFO Titan Fine
Personna 74 Tungsten (8)
Davidoff Cool Water aftershave

I think the 1/2 configuration is my favorite Rooney 'daily driver.' The soap, with its love-it-or-leave-it scent, made wonderful lather. The UFO handle, at 60g, seems to me to balance the 26g BBS-1 head even better than the stock handle. And the excellent aftershave reminds me somewhat of Roger & Gallet l'Homme. Altogether they added up to a great shave.
gTlbZLZ.jpg

Saturday 6th August

AL9nZEXiVsf9m6NtHyijlitbYSErUyOmRJE6lXpDvD6p7ZUqQJmtnU69INQniOZIS7I2drmemBjvgSdWjKEw-I2ecoB754GgXxc8oRxKCwsYOUc0bugcnEDBJsc2cSI_lkjUPyBvO5KSeZJyQ2JrVAXIVNzbiw=s800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Wilkinson Sword (Vintage - Green Band) Shaving Bowl
Wilkinson Sword w/Synthetic Fibre 21mm
Wilkinson Sword Sticky & Wilkinson Sword (Vintage)
Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve Aftershave Cologne

Another weekend with a vintage Wilkinson Sword blade much thanks to @Mike Smart ...

This time, it's the white curved plastic tuck with the black logo wrapper and blade with the same logo on the upper half and Made in England on the lower half which is slightly smudged. I'm not sure what to make of that, if anything. Era? I'm thinking 1980s or into the 1990s?

The Wilkinson Sword shaving bowl is vintage - it's the green banded black bowl which pre-dates the last generation blue bowl. I think it's from the 1990s or 2000s and it produces a good, but not great lather akin to something like Erasmic or Culmak. The scent is heavy synthetic citrus and a damn sight stronger than present black bowl or last generation blue bowl. Quite addictive, actually! Lovely to use the new synthetic fibre brush from Wilkinson Sword - it's certainly an improvement on the rather scraggy boar that they're known for and actually a surprising joy to use.

The shave was certainly good. Smooth, as before, yet not as staggeringly so like last week and actually more akin to the earlier blade feeling more like SuperMax Titanium than Lord Chrome. Sharpness, again, less so than last week but better than the first one I tried two weeks ago. Smoothness 9.9 and sharpness 7/10.

Good fun! Very much looking forward to shaving with this kit again tomorrow ...

AL9nZEUops7SnRr93TkaO9qGXgGGLIfHveSyVjYBFlIt8dGXJ27cOwy1WXcl7gc4FlLr-Hlz3f6OZlTaq0wn0fbTFBqYR7H0ssMQVyr-vqhvrp4Pu2TW1IppSZhqjDP6bvT6E2NZRL3pT4ugkK5junH1SsL-1A=w300

Sat 6th August

Stirling Syn 26mm
MWF
Claymore Evolution
Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG ( 2 )
Pitralon Classic A/S Lotion

Another Saturday out officiating, so used what seems to have become my Match day. Razor- The Evo. It seems a bit like cheating as it is so easy to get a super Shave with this Razor.

5769CA3E-BFA8-4EDF-ADCB-D5329A5D678B.jpeg

Last edited:
Razor = Phantom Blue Double Slant By PAA
Blade = Gillette Blue ( 1 )
Brush = Yaqi Ocean Synthetic
Soap = Sacré Bleu by PAA with matching Edt
Balm = L’oréal Hydra Power Gel
3EF11EBC-FA19-458D-BD5A-8B6EFF99DBF0.jpegBit of a late one for me today but it’s been a busy time at home.
A wonderful 3 pass shave with the monster series slant,
The soap was a first for me and although i like it the scent strength is fairly poor for a paa soap.
This one is a homage to Aqua Vela & pretty close to the original although not strong enough for me.
Overall a 7/10 shave,
Not super good but not bad either.
Couple of Martinis for me tonight & football tomorrow
Big Derby game up in Scotland & the might Hibernian are coming home with 3 points.
Stay Safe guys

Last edited:
A start to the SOTD week with a shave themed, 'Wasps Bees'

20220806_204310.jpg

Bumble bee - Ikon B1
Bumble blade - Wizamet Super Iridium
Bumble brush - Hive 2
Bumble Brian - Signature Soaps Londinium
Bumble bouquet - Abbate Y Mantia Krokos

'Apparently sometimes bees sleep in flowers and that makes me so happy like I can rest well knowing that there’s a bee out there sleeping in a flower.'

Kevin Turvey

This shave was all about the brush. The rest gets so much coverage from me I can't be bothered waffling more about them....this time

So a nice new shiny and delightfully pretty brush from @Ian T at the Dundee Gentleman's Groom Room. Wonderfully made it really does elude quality. Right down to the Hive pattern on the underside. More importantly, in use the quality continues. The brush sits comfortably in the hand (and I have shovel head sized mitts) and is nice and tactile. Happy to say from my side the knot doesn't hog water which I rather like. It starts damp and it finishes damp. Absolutely no problem face lathering and a most smashing job made of the Londinium. Altogether a very happy purchase and Mr Hive 2, welcome to my shaving world.

After a long day on the river a very fine and dandy shave to nicely round off a happy kind of day driving boats (big boats)

And a nice video to finish on. Why it's those 'Bed-in' girls.

Spoiler alert
Spoiler alert

555D9815-4CD2-4CC2-AF8F-D7EE1365FC19.jpeg
SOTD: 06/08/2022

Razor: Gillette Tech
Blade: Viking Sword, 1st use
Brush: Shedeleven Spalted Scottish Hawthorn AP Shave Co G5C 26mm Fan
Bowl: Captains Choice Copper Lather Bowl Standard Bowl
Preshave: PAA Cube Unscented Soap
Soap: PAA Astra Planeta Puck
Balm: PAA Star Jelly Astra Planeta Balm

A great shave on my return home with the ever accurate and capable Tech. The Star jelly is great I just need to get the aftershave now too at some point.

Spicy Sunday

hBqntpm.png

Pre: Hot washcloth & bloom water
Razor: Charcoal Goods Everyday Brass
Blade: Perma-Sharp Super
Brush: Erskine Simulated Ivory 20mm 2-Band Badger
Soap: ‌OSP Old Gold Shaving Soap
Frag: Old‌ ‌Spice‌ ‌Cologne‌ ‌Original‌

Back
Top Bottom