SOTD : Saturday 6 August - Friday 12 August 2022.

William Cowper's poem, “The Task” (1785): “Variety is the very spice of life, That gives it all its flavor.”
so, today I decided to give my face a bit of variety,
the start was pretty normal, old reliableTaylor Sandlewood shaving cream, one I’ve used for many a year, decanted into an Boots “Old English“ shaving bowl and applied with a sterling silver 1839 travel brush, recently re knotted by myself.

46486610-814F-4AA0-BFBE-F116B6E030B5.jpeg

more lather and used my Enders Dollar Razor, with a cut down GEM SE (Bottom of foto). Surprisingly good result although no blade stops so getting the cut down GEM the right size and shape was essential to avoid potential bloodshed :)

A6B2FB45-15A5-4BF7-8299-283F1A74E915.jpeg

More lather and then gave the Wilkinson Sword a run, again with a cut down GEM. I really like this model of razor, it is incredibly well engineered and it’s adjustable for degree of cut.

7CF6A5D5-CC2D-4EC3-BF45-18E7E0DAF1C5.jpeg

So, more lather and then I had a few passes pass with the Leaf,

6D3090EE-0408-48E6-91AA-D7224ADCF56B.jpeg

To give a final polish, so to speak I used the trusty Gillette

3E27C876-ECBC-433C-8D86-C51EE2835FF0.jpeg

I guess today’s shave experience was a bit OTT but, hey, it’s Sunday, the weather is great and it’s time to relax and enjoy life and as William Cowper said, variety is the spice of life!
Have a great week fellas

SOTD 63.jpg

Soap – Wholly Kaw 1776
Brush – Zenith BP / Boti pro 3 band synthetic
Razor – ER 1912
Blade – Star GB
A/S – Floid MV
Balm – ADP Colonia Intensa

Less growth to go at today in my second shave with the 1912 and my thoughts are pretty much a copy paste from the last shave. A very nice result but it felt like 100 passes to get there and pretty tuggy to start with. Once again nice and smooth when that initial growth is down and no irritation or burn and no cuts or weepers. It just feels inefficient.

Here's hoping the Personna Gem SS are a better proposition as recommended by a few of the regular ER users.
Many thanks to @culcreuch Brian for the generous offer of a few to try. It’s much appreciated.

I really like this soap. It’s a bit more work to lather than many but worth it. Difficult to describe the scent as it doesn't remind me of anything but I’d say it’s warming and cologne like as opposed to bright and fresh.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday everyone.

Evening all.

Pre, Hot water and flannel
Brush, Boti Blue
Razor, Rex Envoy
Blade, Supermax Diamond Edge (2nd use)
Soap, PAA Terra Preta
Post, PAA Terra Pret
Music, Natalie Imbruglia

A cheeky break from the newly arrived Fatboy, back to it tomorrow, as i don't want to hog it for an extended period. But i had to try the new arrival. The soap lathered up incredibly and was very thick on application. It provided a great surface to work on and i really like the scent, earthy / clay / clean.

A very nice 3 grain pass, zero irritation / weepers / nicks / cuts etc. To me it feels closer and cleaner than the Fatboy. But i'll be trying the Fatboy tomorrow on 6 using the same set up but with a new Supermax Diamond Edge blade.

I'd also suggest that the Rex Envoy for me would easily be a daily driver.

Best,

Ben

Razor = Occam’s OREN
Blade = Kai Captain Mild
Brush = Shavemac Beehive D01 3 Band
Soap = Geo F Trumper Spanish Leather ( sample )
with matching cologne & skin food
0CF494D5-FB3E-4F24-975E-D319CF54D6B9.jpegA lovely relaxing 3 pass shave with this wonderful potato peeler.
I can’t quite remember but i reckon this is the best shave iv ever had in my life,
A bold statement for sure but man this was top class.
A first for me with the blade and to be honest it was a tad mild however you get what it says on the tin lol.
it’s been absolutely months since i used this brush and i like it a lot, think it’s time for a clear out & start using all my preferred options,
What can you say about the Spanish Leather ?
one of the best i reckon.
Enjoy your sunday boys & girls
Stay Safe As Always

Sunday AM 2022-08-07
The revolving door was patented on this date in 1888 by Theophilus van Kannel
HlySN26.jpg

Rooney Stubby 3XXL Faux Ivory Finest (32/52)
Ralph Lauren Safari shaving soap (tallow)
Carbon Mokume-gane Oda
Personna 74 Tungsten (9)
Ralph Lauren Safari aftershave (vintage)

Tepid water in the scuttle on this warm morning. The brush, although a lather hog, is still one of my favorites; it feels much like one of the vintage Somerset-era Simpson Manchurians. The Safari soap made excellent lather, and it has held its scent better than most other old soaps. In a competition for 'desert island' software, the Safari products definitely would be finalists. And there aren't many combinations that can equal the Carbon razor with a P74 blade.
nLrSqhj.jpg

EF10EB94-99AB-4043-BE1F-6B7A9A04E951.jpeg
SOTD: 07/08/2022

Razor: Gillette Tech
Blade: Viking Sword, 2nd use
Brush: AP Shave Co. Lemon Drop G5A
Bowl: Captains Choice Copper Lather Bowl Standard Bowl
Preshave: PAA Cube Unscented Soap
Soap: PAA Future Fiction Croap
Aftershave: PAA Future Fiction Cologne and EDP
Balm: Baxter Of California Aftershave Balm
Additional Care: Osma Laboratoires Alum Block

Another winner from my growing collection of AP Shave Co. knots, many thanks @ATG. This being the G5A it felt a lot firmer and denser than my G5Cs and Synbad but made a great change! It took slightly more loading but again it created a lovely lather. It’s definitely a keeper, the handle is lovely and much better looking in the flesh. The Future Fiction was as usual delightful as ever. Overall a superb Sunday shave.
I’m on the last of my Viking blades which are always great and will need to order some more!
Enjoy the rest of the day guys!

SOTD

Pre: warm shower with Boots tea tree & which hazel Face Scrub, followed by King C Gillette face and beard wash
Soap: Noble Otter Plunder
Razor/blade: Henson AL13 aggressive on face (Lord Platinum - 1st use), Leaf on head (Treet Platinum saloons - 6th use)
Brush: UKWSS Alpha Brush with G4 bulb knot.
Splash: Noble Otter Plunder
PXL_20220807_164111905.jpg

Mon 8 SOTD
Soap Stirling Boat Drinks
Brush Yaqi 24mm Mojito 2 Band Badger
Razor Yaqi Mellon COB
Blade Shark Super Stainless 4th
Aftershave Stirling Iced Pineapple Splash
Another wonderful soap with excellent lather qualities and a pleasant scent. The aftershave kinda matches nicely...
It was a very enjoyable shave with this blade paired with the razor. So smooth, easy, and efficient. 3passes without any issues for a bbs finish. Marvelous shave!
20220808_122906.jpg

Back
Top Bottom