SOTD : Saturday 5th March - Friday 11th March 2022.

Thursday AM 2022-03-10
International Bagpipe Day
PFiiVHI.jpg

Rooney 3/2 Ebony Finest (24/54)
Floris Santal shaving cream (vintage)
Carbon Adamas
Wilkinson 'Light Brigade' (2)
Chanel Égoïste Platinum aftershave

A great shave. All the hardware and software parts performed perfectly.
0C0yNCI.jpg

Thursday 10th March

AM-JKLWDxGJtldoPL5mtUYstWTW1rb8JkBWn_R7klvIIl21CqHmlo7W3M938t33k-umxxIzGp6wfytxe8nOrGYTR9U0JZxeBqjo5D1TwZg1RkiDws1CktG-f0ZGK0Kk1Lj3LuHi1Zp49VIz4WE19sKyh3b535w=s800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Wilkinson Sword Shaving Stick (Grated)
Omega 10098 Boar 27mm
Muhle Rocca Gold & Treet Trim
Pinaud Clubman Aftershave Lotion

Another new blade from Treet, the Trim ...

... and it's unlike Treet's other stainless blade, the King, which at the time I referred to as fierce (fierce, like playing with a Tiger) and mused that folks who like the Shark Super Stainless would like it, finding it like a refined Shark. The Trim is, alas, harsh. Granted, it's probably the same blade underneath with the King gaining an extra strop, or something. I noted on Treet's website that the Trim is the "Barber's first choice" and that gives us a clear indication as to its market.

... yet I also found it absolutely unlike what would appear to be its legacy sibling, the Trig. Marked as the "Silver Edge" the Trig often has that claim discounted and it's considered simply a stainless blade, but I do still wonder whether the edge is chromed as I find it has that neutral feeling, almost a dullness that I find with many chrome blades; not least yesterday's TJAX.

So, it's a stainless blade, it's aimed at professional use and in use it's somewhat unrefined. I was put in mind of the likes of Rapira Super Stainless or the Ladas Stainless. If you like those, you might like this.

34F788E9-8F77-4158-BAA6-30C7F5E053C7.jpeg
SOTD: 10/03/2022

Razor: Tatara Masamune
Blade: Viking Sword, 2nd use
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia
Bowl: 3D Printed Bowl
Preshave: PAA Cube Unscented Soap
Soap: A&E Monte Carlo
Aftershave: A&E Monte Carlo Aftershave
Balm: Baxter Of California Aftershave Balm
Additional Care: Osma Laboratoires Alum Block

A super shave to start the day. The Yaqi is a great little brush that doesn’t get enough love but despite being the cheapest I own, it is a fantastic latherer and more a match to a lot of the brushes I have in my den. The soap and splash were lovely and lasted most of the day, and the razor was super smooth as it always is. A delightful start to the day!

Fri 11 SOTD
Soap Shannon's Soap Silk Pajamas
Brush Yaqi 26mm Lucky Dice 2 Band Badger
Razor RazoRock G37 Slant
Blade SilverStar Super Stainless 4th
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel MitA + Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic Splash
This soap scent for me just smells like a nice tobacco/cigar aroma. The lather is creamy and slick enough...
Another excellent shave with this razor paired with the blade. Compared to yesterday's vintage blade, today's shave was smoother and more efficient. 3passes for a bbs/dfs finish without any issues. The aftershaves were terrific...
20220311_093827.jpg

SOTD 11-Mar
20220308_120643.jpg
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Manchurian
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Cubebe
Razor: Gillette Old
Blade: Nacet (2)

Another first for me with a run out with an old type courtesy of @Rohleder, thank you very much. Even just one shave a piece with the tech and this I can see why so many gravitate to the vintage arena, they just work. There's no bells and whistles, they just hold the blade (and hold it well) and mow down everything in their path. I just went for a two pass today, but that was enough to get an excellent finish, think one more and it would've been BBS.

I'm not saying I'm a complete vintage convert, I love the design of moderns, but I can definitely see myself throwing a few more into the mix...enter another purchase from the bay for what I think is a 50's tech and seemingly a bit weightier. I'm going to need another storage box at this rate!

Hope everyone has a cracking day!

Cheers

Marc

Wednesday, Thursday, Friday

Wednesday, I carried on with the Parker InjRzr, but TBH I get bored and remember that the adjustment is moot, as you need it on 5 to shift anything. I'd have much preferred to have to use of on a 3-4 for regular use. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but may as well use one of my other injectors. I'll just rotate it in occasionally over the next week or so. Latigo soap and splash, good performance.

Yesterday and today, I've broken out the Tech that was NOS. The nice thing about it is I'm the one that broke the cellophane wrapping and used it. It's also a Tech, so delivers a great shave. I loaded it with the Gillette Blue blade and can say that both shaves have left me BBS afterwards.

Today was the Barber Blue soap, I'm just waiting for the matching splash to become available in the UK. It pairs with other blue splash quite well though.

Of the Brut homage soaps I've tried, the P&B right handed giant is definitely the closest and once I've splashed the splash, I get that 70s 'dad and grandad are off to the pub' memory.

Here's to getting ready for the weekend.
Gary

Attachments

• IMG_20220309_091119__01.jpg
    IMG_20220309_091119__01.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20220310_105733__01.jpg
    IMG_20220310_105733__01.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20220311_091639.jpg
    IMG_20220311_091639.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 4
Sotd-11-03-22.png

ATT Calypso alu - M plate
Treet Platinum (3)
Frank Shaving two-band
Fitjar - Fjellheim
cold water, witch hazel
Tabac edt.

Lovely. You don't see Fitjar products around much these days. The scent is subtle but very pleasant, described thus - As if you rolled in the juniper bushes on the way over the mountain - fair enough, I'll take their word for it as we are kind of short of mountains and juniper in Govanhill. Rolling in bushes sounds like a good way to trash your Goretex and best avoided. The cream is undoubtedly a premium product but I'm really not sure it justifies the price. Nice enough but other creams perform just as well for much less to my mind. The weekend beckons - oscar - I.

Back
Top Bottom