SOTD : Saturday 3rd April to Friday 9th April 2021.

Thursday 8th April

ACtC-3emRNoIX32iMXcPHxqLmwZGxGS3FAqQMcEC5PxmrUfWeX7ds1R8K7wT34ohR2jg1n-S2YclzH57RdWWxq7UJ1fGk2nHPu2tAMjso5VOqQVd6orvdFvaNvqbcBQA-lHfZIEBu7hGCjKQ9_QTW-s-zZDA2g=w800

French Pink Clay & Charcoal Face Soap
Wickham Super Smooth Shaving Soap
DSC Stem w/Snow White Synthetic 22mm
Yaqi Katana DLC w/Star Bakelite Handle
Gillette Wilkinson Sword (2) Made in India
Novaya Zarya Chypre Aftershave Cologne

Well that changed my opinion of this blade ...

I've been comparing the Indian & Chinese made Gillette Wilkinson Sword blades and given both two runs in a Yaqi Katana, equating to three or four shaves in double-edge format. My first shave with the MII confirmed the oft cited difference as the MII being smoother and the MIC being sharper. With this shave, I now disagree as I think the MII is indeed as sharp as the MIC, just masked behind its smoothness.

Tonight's shave was again smoother than the first run and I think the sharpness really became apparent. Close from the first pass and enjoyed so much I made a second for extra closeness. Lovely job! I think this half-blade would do a third shave, equating to four, five or six ish shaves in double-edge format. I can now see why comparisons have been made between this blade and the Winner Platinum, but in all honesty it's nowhere close. And, while I don't know if this particular blade is, or isn't, platinum coated (some say it is, some say it isn't) I can see why folks think it might be.

It's still not "up there" for me, though ...

MII gets a 6.9 placing it just a tick below what I would call workable. I know this sounds harsh, but when I don't want to lose sight of what I've graded already and when I look at the blades of that grading, there's the SuperMax Super Stainless Blue and that certainly feels about right for comparison as I felt that blade might well have had a touch of titanium coating for smoothness. Slightly better than the 1st generation new epoch Zorrik Super Platinum with a similar feel. All of these blades felt smooth in use, but left me feeling a little raw afterwards.

MIC gets 5/10 as it is sharp, but boy it's raw! It puts me very much in mind of Personna Med/Lab Blue of the same grading. Again, that feels about right for comparison. I have the Zorrik Talvar at a similar grading. First run was certainly very close, but felt irritable and left me with rough regrowth. Second run was just raw.

As budget blades, neither really caught up with the very pedestrian Vidyut/SuperMax Economy Stainless (the burgundy/yellow packaging) to my face, a blade I consider a really excellent economy blade.

Fun to try, mind.

Much enjoyed digging out this first batch Wickham Super Smooth and trying out my DCS brush/knot combo. Finally, a good splash of Novaya Zarya Shipr signed the whole thing off, a splash I think Brut (Green) really ought to feel like.

Sotd-08-04-21.jpg

This afternoon -

razor - ATT Calypso alu - M plate
blade - Kai (2) - nice, just getting into its stride
soap - RazoRock - Puros - tallow
brush - Simpson - P8 Phyl - best
post - witch hazel
a/s - RazoRock - Santa Maria del Fiore
balm - none needed
scent - Gotas Frescas - Hombre.

All good - apart from the gecko - they get everywhere - wee sticky bastards. Granted - it's pretty cool to be able to walk upside down on a roof - but if he takes another step towards my beloved P8 brush - I'm going to hit him with a spade. Do you have any idea how difficult it was to glue my shaving gear to the wall to tempt him down into shot from his lofty perch? I didn't really mean that - geckos are grand - they eat flies and mosquitoes - happy memories - lying on a charpoy for days in a guest house in Peshawar - waiting for our Afghan visas to come through - watching them passed the time. My first experience of accommodation that had two armed guards at the front door - just across the road from Green's Hotel - if you know the place. A duo of massive Pushtu guys - black beards to their waist - with enough weaponry to start a civil war. Thank Allah they were friendly. Alsalam alicum. Sorry - digression - I shaved two days in a row - well done me - virtually nothing to take off - but - those products aren't going to use themselves. Another adventure in tobacco land. Great - enjoy yours all - cheers - I.

This shave was nearly ruined by a phone call from my sister in law (think Alien only uglier and more vicious) Luckily I was able to despatch her via the answer machine.

PS-Proraso
Brush-ES T3
Soap-Signature Danum
Blade-Supermax Diamond
Razor-Karve Brass*
AS-Thayers

Bought this from a gent on here but for some reason it was put away until today. Worked well with the Supermax blade.

[IMG]

Two Pass Shaving Routine..
[IMG]

Hot Water Prep & Massage with Argan Oil
Taylor Witness 1000 Sheffield Full Hollow 15/16th
German Pure Badger
Wickham 1912 Soap
Humphreys Witch Hazel

I Had a Wonderful Uber Close Shave with My Taylor & Witness 1000 Sheffield 15/16th..She Sports a Surgical Black Arkansas Edge..Lovely Big Shiny Blade.,Canny be a Bad Day at the Ranch with this Razor..Beautiful Shaver..
:D

I Am Dolphin Smooth & Refreshed..
[IMG]

Billy..
:chores016:

Добро пожаловать на мое бритье с темой 'War and pieces'

IMG_20210407_201541.jpg

Сельскохозяйственное орудие - Ikon SE
Кованые из старых тракторов - Titan Mild
Славная кисть - Wee whisky barrel
Мыло для очищения принцессы хелен - MDC Fougere
Аромат для фермеров - Extro Arzachena

Google translate? God knows what I might have just written but it does remind me of its early days when I wrote to a Mexican friend.

'Is that true Chris, you really do have tapeworms?'

A first outing with the new purchase from the BST in the Martin De Candre Fougere. Expectations were high. Expectations met. An absolutely superb soap with a beautiful air about it. Doesn't quite leave the same level of scent as the rose but damn good. Whatever you look for in a soap the MDC delivers, and with a real sense of luxury.

@Blademonkey you really do need to try MDC. You really do

The razor? Sometimes life needs a dangerous slant and a touch of madness. I can do both happily. In the case of the Ikon SE both can be well provided for as previous experiences had me looking like an extra in a slash movie. Face the devil (everyday in the mirror) and take more care and attention. A lighter touch, a kid gloves approach and things started to make sense. In fact, very much so. Three careful passes to one extremely close shave. So close I'd say it was teetering on the edge of being ridiculously close. But shit, it felt brilliant even if a tad extreme.

A splash of Witch Hazel, a massage of L'Occitane Cade aftershave balm and I can honestly say 'Wow!'. I seem to have figured out this bastard son of a razor and feeling chuffed. So happy I decided to dance like a Cossack while fueled on two litres of aftershave splash.

Indeed I was in pieces but felt I'd won the Ikon war.

So time to let loose with the usual ladies from Japan except this time with an unusual angle of synchronised dancing while hammering out thrash metal. Saki the superb guitarist from Marysblood.

Добро пожаловать на мое бритье с темой 'War and pieces'

View attachment 67863

Сельскохозяйственное орудие - Ikon SE
Кованые из старых тракторов - Titan Mild
Славная кисть - Wee whisky barrel
Мыло для очищения принцессы хелен - MDC Fougere
Аромат для фермеров - Extro Arzachena

Google translate? God knows what I might have just written but it does remind me of its early days when I wrote to a Mexican friend.

'Is that true Chris, you really do have tapeworms?'

A first outing with the new purchase from the BST in the Martin De Candre Fougere. Expectations were high. Expectations met. An absolutely superb soap with a beautiful air about it. Doesn't quite leave the same level of scent as the rose but damn good. Whatever you look for in a soap the MDC delivers, and with a real sense of luxury.

@Blademonkey you really do need to try MDC. You really do

The razor? Sometimes life needs a dangerous slant and a touch of madness. I can do both happily. In the case of the Ikon SE both can be well provided for as previous experiences had me looking like an extra in a slash movie. Face the devil (everyday in the mirror) and take more care and attention. A lighter touch, a kid gloves approach and things started to make sense. In fact, very much so. Three careful passes to one extremely close shave. So close I'd say it was teetering on the edge of being ridiculously close. But shit, it felt brilliant even if a tad extreme.

A splash of Witch Hazel, a massage of L'Occitane Cade aftershave balm and I can honestly say 'Wow!'. I seem to have figured out this bastard son of a razor and feeling chuffed. So happy I decided to dance like a Cossack while fueled on two litres of aftershave splash.

Indeed I was in pieces but felt I'd won the Ikon war.

So time to let loose with the usual ladies from Japan except this time with an unusual angle of synchronised dancing while hammering out thrash metal. Saki the superb guitarist from Marysblood.

Thanks for the tip Chris, I shall try to use mine more. :)

Paul

Fri 9th SE SOTD
Soap Ariana & Evans Kaizen
Brush Yaqi 24mm Ruby Tuxedo
Razor Yaqi AC Brass
Blade KAI CT ProTouch MG 2nd (hmmm...this blade is somehow smoother & more efficient than the Feather Proguard)
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Stirling Witchhazel MitA + Hyaluronic + Bvlgari AS Balm & Edt
Gorgeous lather from the soap! Perfect today. Beautifully strong scent, thickly creamy, and very slick!
Perfect shave with this blade paired with the razor despite the alignment issue. Super silky-smooth and very comfortable in 3passes with some pickup without any issues for a BBS result. These KAI & Feather guarded blades are giving me the best shaves now...hahaha. I have yet to try the Feather Professional which is still waiting to bat. Marvelous aftershaves! Top marks!
20210409_090242.jpg

171398125_353409056081193_476823648623074981_n.jpg

Prep:
Shower, Palmolive Olive Oil Soap
Pre: Proraso Green
Soap: Arko
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Mysterious Space Tuxedo
Razor: Parker 22R Interceptor
Blade: Kai Stainless (3)
Got up and immediately wanted to return to Arko! This was tp benchmark against the Mogno soap, although the Arko now sits in a PP so was lathered from there rather than rubbed on the face. It didn't feel anywhere as slick as I remember, and the scent now feels massively artificial after recent experiments with numerous soaps.
The Kai was still decent, and the Aqua is great for the price. One nick caused by the shock of a 4 year old trying to kick his way into the bathroom to use the toilet:oops: but apart from that a pleasant shave:giggle:

Last edited:
View attachment 67771

This afternoon -

razor - ATT Calypso alu - M plate
blade - Kai (1)
brush - Yaqi HMW silvertip - the cloud on a stick
soap - Mickey Lee Soapworks - Grand Havana - tallow
post - witch hazel
a/s - Extro - Tabacco - don't complain to me, that's how they spell it
balm - none needed
scent - Creed - Tabarome parfum

Superb - a while since I had a nose to tail tobacco shave - one of my favourite scent classes. The very sharp blade and forgiving razor thing is really working well for me. The Grand Havana was kindly gifted to me by @Paul L - in my opinion this is a very fine soap - unfortunately the company doesn't appear to exist anymore. I think it was a husband and wife team? Not sure. A wee spray of Creed to finish - lovely - job done. Certain things in life - such as scent, shouldn't be done cheaply - much like cocaine and ladyboys. :) (For the avoidance of doubt - that's a joke - mostly.) The best thing about today? I get to see my best mate face to face later - for the first time in six months - I suspect there will be less malt whisky in the world tomorrow. Have shaves as good as that one - one and all - yours - I.
Excellent post, Iain. Looking forward to hearing about the malt depletion at your convenience :)

Back
Top Bottom