SOTD : Saturday 30 July - Friday 5 August. 2022.

Friday August 5, 2022
Razor: Overlander
Blade: Wizamet
Brush: Spartan Custom/Cashmere
Soap: Ballenclaugh The Woodsman
AS 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla 70
AS 2: CHH Tobacco
Fragrance:
Consecutive Daily Shaves - # 1,368

One of my customers is a shopping plaza and he has 2 dead Pine Trees that are threatening the parking area and cars. So I got the side Gig to take them down and remove them. Heading out early today to set up a perimeter before the coffe shop patrons start to show up and park near the victim trees. That's why I chose the Woodsman for my soap today. Great smooth shave. Have a great day !
IMG_20220804_213849919.jpg

Fri 5
Soap Stirling Black Cherry
Brush Yaqi 28mm Tuxedo
Razor RazoRock G37 Slant
Blade Shark Super Stainless 4th
Aftershave Spice Original Splash
The lather qualities from the soap are just impeccable...the scent is nice albeit light. Matched well with the splash.
This shave with the blade in the razor was not so good. Not so smooth and efficient. Managed 3passes without issues for a sas result. The blade will be ditched...
20220805_134314.jpg

05/08/22
Pre - Sainsbury's Luxury Soap, Bergamot & Nectarine
Brush - Simpson Duke 2 Best Badger
Soap - Signature Soap Britannia
Razor - Supply V2 Mirror Polished
Blade - Personna Injector
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Barts Balm Lime Balm
A/S - Body Shop Arber EDT
Wk 31 2022 (7).JPG
Photo took earlier in the week @the cottage, however, we left very early this morning and had a trouble free drive home.
Back to my preferred hard water, crisp and cold. For me, much better for washing and drinking than soft water.
Stay safe and enjoy your day All.

Friday 5th August
Valet Autostrop VC1 - Modified GEM Stainless Coated #5- Eco Warrior Bergamot & Lime - Jayaruh 289 - Osmanli Lemon Cologne - Aloe Vera Gel
apC7BiH.jpg

SOTD 62.jpg
Soap – Vintage Imperial Leather shave stick
Brush – Vie Long synthetic
Razor – ER 1912
Blade – Star GB
A/S – Imperial Leather
Balm – Lea 3in1

Apologies up front for my ramblings.
A vintage theme today and a series of firsts for me in this shave. Razor, blade, soap & aftershave are all new to me. This is my first shave with a GEM style razor / blade.
I’ve always thought this razor looked more at home in a medieval dungeon than in a bathroom but I decided to give it a bash as it’s been hiding away ever since I got it last year.

I can’t really judge on one shave but maybe I should have given this a bit more thought before diving in. I think my coarse hair along with 3 – 4 days growth wasn’t best suited for a first trial of this setup. I’ll be happy to hear the thoughts of those who are much more familiar with the razor. A few boxes of Star blades actually came with another recent purchase and they’re the only GEM style blades I have so I thought I’d give them a go. The box states “for tough beards”, however I found them pretty tuggy and the first pass was particularly hard work. Short deliberate strokes got me through it but to be fair subsequent passes were very smooth and comfortable. Overall it was a lot more work to achieve a decent result than I’m used to. Hard to say if a different blade would make a difference as I’ve no reference or anything to use as a comparison. The blade I used today was loose so next time I’ll take one out of the box to ensure it is “new”.

The soap was disappointing from the scent point of view. It smelled exactly as it is … an old piece of soap. No hint of Imperial Leather whatsoever and considering this is probably around 40+ years old in hindsight I was probably expecting a miracle thinking it might still have a scent. Nevertheless as a shaving soap it was excellent. I rubbed it across the beard and face lathered and it produced a rich creamy lather in no time. Slick and protective and it did the job very well. I reckon I’ll grate it into a small puck and add some essential oils to brighten it up … or maybe I’ll add some of the aftershave ?!
Speaking of which the A/S is pure 70’s / 80’s in a bottle. Once again this is new to me so I have no previous experience to use in reference in order to know if it actually smells as it should. No mistaking it's a man’s scent which, to my nose at least, exudes the scent style of the period. An animalic, leathery type vibe. Brilliant.

No cuts or weepers and the final result was more than acceptable but it was a chore to get there.
The razor was a lot smoother and more comfortable than I expected once I got the initial growth mowed down so it could be this will suit me better with lighter growth. I’ll give that a go next time.

Have a great day everyone.

View attachment 91586
Razor – ER 1912
Blade – Star GB
A/S – Imperial Leather
Balm – Lea 3in1

A vintage theme today and a series of firsts for me in this shave. Razor, blade, soap & aftershave are all new to me. This is my first shave with a GEM style razor / blade.
I’ve always thought this razor looked more at home in a medieval dungeon than in a bathroom but I decided to give it a bash as it’s been hiding away ever since I got it last year.

I can’t really judge on one shave but maybe I should have given this a bit more thought before diving in. I think my coarse hair along with 3 – 4 days growth wasn’t best suited for a first trial of this setup. I’ll be happy to hear the thoughts of those who are much more familiar with the razor. A few boxes of Star blades actually came with another recent purchase and they’re the only GEM style blades I have so I thought I’d give them a go. The box states “for tough beards”, however I found them pretty tuggy and the first pass was particularly hard work. Short deliberate strokes got me through it but to be fair subsequent passes were very smooth and comfortable. Overall it was a lot more work to achieve a decent result than I’m used to. Hard to say if a different blade would make a difference as I’ve no reference or anything to use as a comparison. The blade I used today was loose so next time I’ll take one out of the box to ensure it is “new”.

The soap was disappointing from the scent point of view. It smelled exactly as it is … an old piece of soap. No hint of Imperial Leather whatsoever and considering this is probably around 40+ years old in hindsight I was probably expecting a miracle thinking it might still have a scent. Nevertheless as a shaving soap it was excellent. I rubbed it across the beard and face lathered and it produced a rich creamy lather in no time. Slick and protective and it did the job very well. I reckon I’ll grate it into a small puck and add some essential oils to brighten it up … or maybe I’ll add some of the aftershave ?!
Speaking of which the A/S is pure 70’s / 80’s in a bottle. Once again this is new to me so I have no previous experience to use in reference in order to know if it actually smells as it should. No mistaking it's a man’s scent which, to my nose at least, exudes the scent style of the period. An animalic, leathery type vibe. Brilliant.

No cuts or weepers and the final result was more than acceptable but it was a chore to get there.
The razor was a lot smoother and more comfortable than I expected once I got the initial growth mowed down so it could be this will suit me better with lighter growth. I’ll give that a go next time.

The ER 1912 razor fitted with the Gem blade is indeed a great razor, maybe that's why at one point I owned 16 of them!
The more you use it the more you will come to appreciate just how good it is. :)

Paul.

View attachment 91586
Razor – ER 1912
Blade – Star GB
A/S – Imperial Leather
Balm – Lea 3in1

The GEM/ER razors are different beasts to DE/AC razors. What angle did you use? You want it much flatter to your face than other razors. Your experience sounds similar to mine. Grew to love it in the end though.

Back
Top Bottom