SOTD : Saturday 27th February to Friday 05th March 2021

Great photo Paul. The working end of the Hawk.

Are you sure you don't want to try other SE's? They do only get better..... I promise you

Thank you Chris,

My SOTD photos sometimes come out quite well - with more luck than skill - with very minimal effects (Snapspeed Portrait effect in that image)

I must admit to being a little curious about the Colonial General, as it seems to have a loyal following from it's users.
I'm fighting the temptation to look in to how to order/purchase one in stainless steel !

My interest has also been drawn to the new YaqI AC razors, and they're definitely more within my present budget (possible new car purchase on the horizon)

Nice shave Iain....but the background is worrying......all OK?
Thank you for your concern but all good - I need to be tested in the next few days for being asymptomatic - apparently it is a problem where I live. I got a letter today - hence the leaflet - don't fancy it much but I shall do my civic duty. A bit more of a news feel to a sotd pic? :) - yours- I.

Thank you for your concern but all good - I need to be tested in the next few days for being asymptomatic - apparently it is a problem where I live. I got a letter today - hence the leaflet - don't fancy it much but I shall do my civic duty. A bit more of a news feel to a sotd pic? :) - yours- I.

The Lateral Flow Test isn't as uncomfortable as the pictures depict, Iain.
In my work I have to enter all manner of care homes, and have to be tested before entry.
I've been tested 5/6 times in recent weeks.
It's over in a flash, and of course, it's nice to know you've got a negative test result.

Today I am very happy to present you with a shave themed 'Any old iron'

IMG_20210302_202044.jpg

Pig iron - Ever Ready 1912
Scrap iron - Gem
Wrought iron - Alpha Wickhams Artic Fox
Cast iron - Captain Fawcett's
Ironing board - Eau Sauvage

Reading a recent thread on vintage SE's enticed me to reach in to the iron mongery cupboard and pull out the 1912. You do have to say they do rather look as if they were forged out of the industrial revolution. Probably when someone got the size wrong for a shovel and mistook feet for inches.

There is something rather savage looking about them and they really do give the impression it is a skinning tool more than a shaving tool. But the reality is they are little kittens in use and you would really have to get something drastically wrong to draw blood ( @Jester ?). Unlike an AC SE you do have to work at it a bit to get results but well worth the effort. Under the nose is a challenge (more so as I go ATG) and it feels as if the handle is somewhere level with one's chin. But very short strokes and job done. And done to near perfection. I ain't going to complain and a real top class finish.

The Fawcett's and the Alpha were simply made for each other. I keep forgetting the Captains soap really is up there with the best and a superlative product. Hats off to them. It is a Captain thing.

A slap of Simple moisturiser (my go to at the moment and so damn cheap), a spray of Sauvage and one beautiful smooth shave.

'And this my love is the Gentleman's manual on shaving'

'Oh you are just so dapper and fucking boring'

Maybe I am, but these ladies aren't

1DED3F66-A64F-4618-B64E-23F581BEBDA1.jpeg
Pre: hot shower, proraso refreshing cream
Brush: omega 49 boar
Soap: Dead Sea shave kraken
Razor: ever ready
Blade: gem (3)

In short a good shave without errors. Found kinda hard to get a good consistency of lather with that soap - it was very slick however not as cushiony as others - not sure whether it’s due to them being clay? based - will need to revisit it and give it a few more tries to get to grips with this one!

finished off with pinaud bay rum - good to know that I’m not too keen on the scent , definitely won’t be going on my to get list ! :)

Wed 3rd SOTD with New Budget AC Setup!!
Soap
Ach Brito Mogno - Super Slick!!
Brush
Yaqi 24mm Mountain Lake Badger
Razor Yaqi AC razor - New and terrific!
Blade
Feather ProGuard - New and terrific too!
Post & Aftershaves
Ice Water + Thayers + Hyaluronic + Clubman Gents Gin
Received my new budget AC set up at a very affordable cost!
Use my slickest soaps among all as a precaution. Man...this soap is super-duper slick!! The lather quality and performance is outstanding! The scent is pleasant too.
Razor is kinda light but still heavier than the other aluminum. The top-cap thread seems crooked but it fits perfectly. Quite easy to load the blade and all. I've heard and seen so many AC shaves that I was a bit apprehensive...hahaha, worried unnecessarily.

The shave with razor paired with the blade was nothing short of awesomeness and was amazing!! I never knew shaving can be so soft, so smooth, so comfortable...and yet so sharp and efficient! What an experience!! The razor angle is easy to find...more shallow than steep...so easy to maneuver (especially under the nose) and it really covers more area...
After 3 silky soft passes, I get one of my closest shaves yet, especially for the adam apple area. Atg on trouble chin and lips area was silky smooth too! A wow shave experience! The aftershave was an excellent finish.
20210303_000002.jpg
20210303_072818.jpg

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Butterscotch 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Noble Otter ~ Monarch
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34G / Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow #11
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Davidoff Cool Water Night Dive

20210227_105049.jpg

Soap - Catie's Bubbles Midnight Dreary
Brush - Yaqi 22mm Cashmere knot
Blade - Ascot Super Stainless
Razors - Merkur 27c & Gillette Slim Adjustable
Post - various.

Used the above setup for 4 smooth shaves. Like the blade, feels smooth but I think i pushed the 4th shave to its limit. Faith is restored to soap after lathering it with 30mm Plissoft brush. Star of the week - Yaqi Cashmere! Great little brush. Think its softer than even the Tuxedo knot. Whips up a quality lather with ease. I know the green handles 24mm version is called the Dandelion - no idea what this orange one is called.
Stay safe people and enjoy your shaves

But the reality is they are little kittens in use and you would really have to get something drastically wrong to draw blood ( @Jester ?)
@Satanfriendly
breakfast noise GIF

Last edited:
Wednesday 3rd March
Alpha Outlaw - OSP Bay Rum - EndGem Speed 3 dot - GEM Stainless Coated #3 - BigBoar's No4 Bay Rum - Aloe Vera Gel
irH4CmR.jpg

I really like this unique 3D razor design from Roger Quintero. The way the blade is held is ingenious.
Also a big shout out and thanks to Greg, @BigBoar for his magnificent Bay Rum. One of my inspirations to make my own.

Back
Top Bottom