SOTD : Saturday 27th February to Friday 05th March 2021

View attachment 65620
Prep: Shower, Palmolive Olive Oil Soap
Pre: Proraso Green
Soap: Stirling Hipster
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Mysterious Space Tuxedo
Razor: 1912 Deluxe
Blade: Personna Gem (1)

After a lovely little package of blades from @Satanfriendly arrived yesterday (thank you, sir!) this evening was set to give the 1912 its first run out. And I'm so glad I didn't try it on a work day morning. Talk about having to re-learn technique! The face was fine, and the quality of the finish was amazing once I worked out the steeper angle required. But my God did it bite me on the neck. The alum made me wince and I've not had that many blood spots since I started with a razor in my teens! I will persevere though, as it's a lovely bit of kit.

The juice is absolutely worth the squeeze, my friend.

You're right about the angle. It's so easy to have that blade rasping almost perpendicular to the face, but when you figure out that the very unnatural feeling angle of top cap almost to face with the handle sticking straight out (absolutely wrong, wrong, wrong for a double edge razor) then you catch the sweet spot. For reference, if the guard comes into play the angle is not steep enough. If you can imagine it, you sorta need to follow that little bevel at the front of the top cap.

I think necks are troublesome because you have quite a curve from the chin to the neck and following it down with an unfamiliar razor that you just clicked with the angle to them move to an area where the angle has to be slightly altered every centimetre is a challenge.

... but it will come!

Understand also that the GEM Stainless/PTFE blades are indeed seethingly sharp with first use and probably a lot more so than many are used to. The second shave will mellow, third, more so.

The juice is absolutely worth the squeeze, my friend.

You're right about the angle. It's so easy to have that blade rasping almost perpendicular to the face, but when you figure out that the very unnatural feeling angle of top cap almost to face with the handle sticking straight out (absolutely wrong, wrong, wrong for a double edge razor) then you catch the sweet spot. For reference, if the guard comes into play the angle is not steep enough. If you can imagine it, you sorta need to follow that little bevel at the front of the top cap.

I think necks are troublesome because you have quite a curve from the chin to the neck and following it down with an unfamiliar razor that you just clicked with the angle to them move to an area where the angle has to be slightly altered every centimetre is a challenge.

... but it will come!

Understand also that the GEM Stainless/PTFE blades are indeed seethingly sharp with first use and probably a lot more so than many are used to. The second shave will mellow, third, more so.
Thanks Paul - good to know my intentions were right, if not the execution (although execution's probably an apt word given the claret :ROFLMAO: )

FFE31A40-35B4-48D0-9F34-DA79C3752B6F.jpeg
Pre: hot shower , face scrub (L’Oréal barberclub beard and face scrub)
tobs cedarwood shaving cream
Brush : omega 49 boar
Razor : Gillette fatboy (4)
Blade: Astra SP (3)
AsL: pinaud clubman
AsB: nivea sensitive

BBS shave in majority - neck area under the chin seems to be a problematic zone since I can’t stretch it enough and hair grows horizontally .
one small weeper that went away on its own, and a bit of blade tugging at places - guess shave number 3, atg pass with this blade was a bit problematic for it, due to my coarse stubble . Also my slower movements during atg probably don’t help the blade cut through it either !

slight feedback from alumn, nice splash of pinaud clubman (beautifully complimenting tobs cedarwood IMO) and some balm to finish off

feeling fresh, very enjoyable shave

dkpwatson64_1614446312.jpg

I had this shave, a "grab what you like shave," all lined up, took the shot above and when it came to it, I thought, "No. I want to use my Hawk v3." So I used the same software but put the Fatboy back on the shelf. It'll get a run out in the near future.

It's been two weeks since I last used the Hawk and I didn't have a good shave, certainly due to poor prep and hurrying. But as I've noticed that a number of gents here on SOTD have been employing it, I decided to follow suit and I'm glad I did. With a new Feather Pro blade I was able to obtain a BBS shave with just two passes on my face and an extra ATG pass just on my neck. I count that as 2.5 passes. :)

I used the HD handle for the first time, which came with my recently purchased German 37 and replaced the super-knurl handle which my Hawk came with. I have an A plate but wanted to experiment a little with the angle of the standard plate. I found it to be much more audible and efficient when held slightly above the traditional 30 degree angle. The shave was fantastic, smooth and efficient with no issues - a real pleasure.

Thanks should also go to the LEA shave stick which I really enjoy using. For soap that's inexpensive, it provides a really great lather that can accept a fair bit of water to become luxuriously creamy and have a real sheen to it. To my nose the clean soap scent reminds me of warm Mediterranean holidays, I think because it smells similar to sun protection creams. Your nose may react entirely differently :) The balm is just about my favourite. The Razorock Beehive has the most backbone of all my synthetic brushes, so works really well with a face lather from a shave stick.

Stay safe and enjoy your shaves.

Ignore the photo:
Razors: Razorock Hawk v3 - HD handle
Blade: Feather AC Pro (1)
Soap: LEA Shave Stick
Brush: Razorock Beehive synthetic
Post-shave: LEA Balm

PS-Proraso
Brush-Australian Generic
Soap-Proraso White
Blade-Feather
Razor-R41 Twist*
AS-Lavender Oil Dilute

I bought this razor a while ago and it went to ground however found it hiding in another bathroom. Combined with the Feather blade its nearly up there with some single edge Feather injector razors.
That's the thing when you have more than three bathrooms, you're forever running around looking for your razors! I found one of mine I thought I had lost in the west wing bathroom! What's it like! :)

Paul.

Mon SE SOTD
Soap B&M Cheshire 1st Use (y)(y)(y)
Brush Yaqi 24mm Heavy Metal Tuxedo
Razor GEM Clog Pruf(y)(y)(y)
Blade GEM Stainless 14th Use(y)(y)(y)
Post & Aftershaves
Ice Water + Thayers + Hyaluronic + Reuzel Wood & Spice
1st use of the soap sample and ohh boy...the scent is amazing even before lathering. Gorgeous and awesome good strength scent! The lather is beautifully creamy and slick too, and as usual, I made way too much...will keep it for the next day. Excellent soap this!! Will sure be on my list now!
Shave with razor paired with the well-used blade was fantastic! I strop the blade prior and wow...crisply smooth and so comfortable for 3passes, even for the usual problem area atg pass on chin & lips with this SE razor. Very close mostly bbs result previously never achieved with the razor. No weepers, creepers nor irritation. Excellent aftershave. At this rate...I may not have to buy more GEM blades...hahaha
20210228_214921.jpg
20210301_075552.jpg

Monday 1st March
Yaqi Sagrada Familia - OSP Urban Viking - Ornate Handle Triceratops 3D - GEM Stainless Coated #2 - Blue Stratos A/S - Aloe Vera Gel
tpc0l4H.jpg

Monday 1st March St David's Day

Semogue 820 Boar - Stirling Black Cherry - Leaf 'The Twig'/Gillette Super Blue - 4711 EDC

In the absence of a Leek or Daffodil flavoured soap.....I had to make do with Black Cherry. The blade will be retired today as 3 excellent 3 pass shaves with a 1/2 DE blade is a very good return for the money and I feel like a change of razor anyway.
3 passes for a 'Face Feeling' perfect result

Todays Shave Kit Monday 1st March 2021

Shave Score 9.75/10.0

PreShave: Hot Shower
PreShave Cream: Proraso Refreshing
Soap: Batavia Barber Shaving Soap by Oaken
Brush: Clear Confidence Co Synthetic Shaving Brush - Vegan-Friendly
Razor: Merkur Progress 500 (3.0, 2.5, 2.5)
Blade: Gillette Super Thin Platinum (1)
Post Shave ASL: Vecchia Torino Aftershave by Tcheon Fung Sing
Post Shave Balm: Proraso Aftershave Balm White
Post Shave Cologne: Geoffrey Beene - Bowling Green

Have a Great Day All

Joe

1A593C00-398C-46A5-A02F-66B99802C5B6.jpeg

Last edited:
Mon 1st March

Cyril Salter / MS. ED2band
Arko Stick-grated
RR Hawk V3-OC plate
Feather Proguard [ 8 ]
Tuff Red A/S Lotion

What the Arko lacks in sophiscated scent it more than makes up for in abundant effective Lather. With what seems 2 to 3 swirls of the Brush there is an explosion of lather, which though the blade was on its 8th outing made the Shave smooth and comfortable. I am very pleased with the closeness of the all round finish. I am enjoying this Razor more since changing to the Super Knurl handle.

IMG_1348.jpg

Back
Top Bottom