SOTD : Saturday 27th February to Friday 05th March 2021

711186FD-603E-4342-A14D-C06B31BD8077.jpeg
Pre: hot shower
Soap: Reef point soaps espresso / Palmolive shaving cream
Brush: omega 49 boar
Razor: Gillette tech
Blade: Astra sp #1

good shave - first time trying out the Gillette tech - I like how it performs , found it to be really mild, would be quite comfortable with only two passes using this one. Although one caveat - I found it to be tugging a bit - might it be that the Astra sp blade is too mild for it? Unsure really since it’s pretty much the same standard routine as usual for me.
Soap was okay however even with bigger loading, I found the lather to die out quite quickly , seemed like there was enough for 3 passes, but it died out on a brush and barely was enough for second pass. Used Palmolive shaving cream and actually enjoyed its slickness much more than this of a soap.

one more shave on Sunday and then newbie box will be off to next person - soon it’ll be time to dig into my growing collection of soaps

View attachment 65936
Pre: hot shower
Soap: Reef point soaps espresso / Palmolive shaving cream
Brush: omega 49 boar
Razor: Gillette tech
Blade: Astra sp #1

good shave - first time trying out the Gillette tech - I like how it performs , found it to be really mild, would be quite comfortable with only two passes using this one. Although one caveat - I found it to be tugging a bit - might it be that the Astra sp blade is too mild for it? Unsure really since it’s pretty much the same standard routine as usual for me.
Soap was okay however even with bigger loading, I found the lather to die out quite quickly , seemed like there was enough for 3 passes, but it died out on a brush and barely was enough for second pass. Used Palmolive shaving cream and actually enjoyed its slickness much more than this of a soap.

one more shave on Sunday and then newbie box will be off to next person - soon it’ll be time to dig into my growing collection of soaps

Astra SPs are empirically dull from new in sharpness testing. After the first shave they come down to Treet Platinum kind of sharpness which is pretty middling in terms of blade sharpness but I happen to like that as my sweet spot. Your next shave will hopefully be nicer.

Here's a review and a link to a sharpness comparison chart: https://www.refinedshave.com/astra-superior-platinum-razor-blade-review/

Sharpness is not necessarily the be-all and end-all, but it is a good indicator. For me, I know I like blades in the mid-40s and like them to be like that from the off, not sharpening up after one shave or losing sharpness after the first. It makes for interesting reading, particularly once you land on a blade you like, it clicks what it is you like about it.

Fingers crossed for a more pleasing second run with this blade.

Back
Top Bottom