SOTD : Saturday 12th March - Friday 18th March 2022.

SOTD, Thursday 17 March 2022

Pre-shave:
Hot shower, Wright's cold tar soap, followed by cold water splash.
Soap: The Gentleman's Groom Room: Essence of Scotland Scottish Heather.
Brush: Blackland (Signature).
Razor: Blackland Era-SB (level 4).
Blade: Personna Platinum (Day 3).

Era - SB (2).jpg

I hope everyone is well; it's been a while since I have posted - my mum was unwell in the summer of last year and thankfully had recovered; my dad is not so good at the moment - and I went into my shell, a little.

I was lucky to order and get a Blackland Era; I ordered the SB level 4 and the OC level 3; the postman came by surprise on Monday with this beauty - made all the better as HMRC did not demand a cut :) .

3 Passes: WTG, XTG (L - R) and XTG (R - L); DFS+/BBS- finish - skin felt very comfortable afterwards and no issues to report.

The Era thus far is a great razor - I feel that it has something to offer for everyone, whatever their experience in DE shaving - Shane has pulled another beauty out of the bag; in my opinion (and I appreciate YMMV) this is a great daily driver - smooth, efficient, kind on the skin and touching wood, it feels as if little could go wrong when shaving.

I'm looking forward to getting to know this razor - its unique in the line of Blackland razors - the Blackbird for me is still the no1 in the Blackland line-up, however for me that is a 2 pass razor - this has more forgiveness, and 3 passes if needed is easily possible with no issues.

All the best,

Chris

Pre-shave:

View attachment 85733

I hope everyone is well; it's been a while since I have posted - my mum was unwell in the summer of last year and thankfully had recovered; my dad is not so good at the moment - and I went into my shell, a little.

I was lucky to order and get a Blackland Era; I ordered the SB level 4 and the OC level 3; the postman came by surprise on Monday with this beauty - made all the better as HMRC did not demand a cut :) .

3 Passes: WTG, XTG (L - R) and XTG (R - L); DFS+/BBS- finish - skin felt very comfortable afterwards and no issues to report.

The Era thus far is a great razor - I feel that it has something to offer for everyone, whatever their experience in DE shaving - Shane has pulled another beauty out of the bag; in my opinion (and I appreciate YMMV) this is a great daily driver - smooth, efficient, kind on the skin and touching wood, it feels as if little could go wrong when shaving.

I'm looking forward to getting to know this razor - its unique in the line of Blackland razors - the Blackbird for me is still the no1 in the Blackland line-up, however for me that is a 2 pass razor - this has more forgiveness, and 3 passes if needed is easily possible with no issues.

All the best,

Chris
Good to see you back Chris. Sorry to hear about your father.

SOTD 18-Mar
20220317_124752.jpg
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2
Soap: PAA Speakeasy
Razor: Gillette New
Blade: GSB (2)

Again a skip on the Era due to the Gillette New arrival yesterday, and again a lovely shaver, I went a bit hard on the neck ATG so need to ease up, but a really good shave!

If I had been inclined at the beginning of this whole shaving saga I could have very well saved myself a fortune, picked up a Tech and either a New/Old and I could have been content. I don't regret the route I've taken as I would have missed out on trying a raft of novelties but part of me wonders. I'm too far down the rabbit hole to rewind the clock but as it stands there's one more I'm after....

That's for the razors, I'm ignoring the brush and software monster lurking in the corner...

Hope everyone has a cracking day!

Cheers

Marc

Friday 18th March
Yaqi AC - Schick Proline P #7 - Alpha T400 - Vitos Red - Superdrug Forest Fresh AS - Aloe Vera Gel
o5C1nVM.jpg

Pre-shave:

View attachment 85733

All the best,

Chris
Hope your dad gets better soon
Regards Brian

Good to see you back Chris. Sorry to hear about your father.
@Boycie83 - Cheers mate - it's great to be back - my dad gave me a bit of an arse kicking and told me to get out and live my life.

One of the greating aspects to wet shaving is that 15 minute ritual of mindfulness - good for clearing the head and restoring the soul.

Hope your dad gets better soon
Regards Brian
@BrianH - Cheers, much appreciated - we are not sure what's happening - at one stage we were told it was game over - however, all the tests they have done since have not supported the initial diagnosis - there is something up with dad but we don't know what yet.

Hope all is good with you and yours.

SOTD 18-Mar
View attachment 85737
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2
Soap: PAA Speakeasy
Razor: Gillette New
Blade: GSB (2)

Again a skip on the Era due to the Gillette New arrival yesterday, and again a lovely shaver, I went a bit hard on the neck ATG so need to ease up, but a really good shave!

If I had been inclined at the beginning of this whole shaving saga I could have very well saved myself a fortune, picked up a Tech and either a New/Old and I could have been content. I don't regret the route I've taken as I would have missed out on trying a raft of novelties but part of me wonders. I'm too far down the rabbit hole to rewind the clock but as it stands there's one more I'm after....

That's for the razors, I'm ignoring the brush and software monster lurking in the corner...

Hope everyone has a cracking day!

Cheers

Marc
@Razorboy - Morning; your Gillette New and the set-up looks stunning! I love all the variables of wet shaving - it's become a hobby/life-style thing. If only SWMBO could understand :)

Mornin'!

So I don't generally post a SOTD....
But I thought I would for a change.
No particular reason, it wasn't the most impressive shave, neither was it a shave that caused me any problems. Just a nice everyday get on with your day shave.

It started with a blurry eyed look in the mirror and a look at the cracked porcelain sink bowl, a reminder, I still need to get that sorted...
Then reaching for the cobbled together razor with a Yaqi Melon Cob head and a quite surprisingly nice cheap eBay razor handle (the head was awful it's now on a keyring).
Next was the brush of choice... The Body Shop 'Original'. The first shaving brush I ever bought. I decided on this as, although it's synthetic, it has quite the scritchy/scratchy-ness needed to scrape up some hard soap. The newer Bodyshop brush with the darker handle and darker bristles is somewhat more soft as you would expect from a synthetic. I had already decided to go with the Erasmic, so the brush of choice was indeed the right choice.
A few turns of the bristles on the puck and I'd gathered enough soap to see me through a simple 2 pass shave (WTG, XTG).
I finished off with a good dowsing of cold water and an ample splashing of Cien Aqua.
A simple shave on a bright sunny Morning.​

IMG_20220318_083629.jpg

Back
Top Bottom