SOTD : Saturday 10rd April to Friday 16th April 2021.

10/4/21

Pre - Cien Soap Free Facial Wash
Brush - Zenith Euro X
Soap - Lea Professional Cream
Razor - Yaqi DOC
Blade - Gillette Winner Stainless (7)
Post - Witch Hazel
AS - Cien X-Bolt

It's taken a few shaves to once again realise why I love my Zenith Euro X so greatly, it's a delightful brush to use. A really great lather with the Lea cream as well, it may be a budget one but it performs really well.

The blade was smooth and efficient enough during the shave but I had a fair bit of post shave burn when I put on the splash so even though there's still petrol in the tank I'll throw the blade away. I'm impressed with the blade, it didn't get off to the strongest of starts but finished really well.

Have a good Sunday gents.

11/04/21
Pre: Cold water face wash
Brush: Alpha Outlaw Titanium G4 Synth
Soap: Signature Soap Eboracum
Razor: R94 Mühle Rocca V4 Stainless
Blade: Wizamet SI (1)
Post shave: Cold water Rinse, TC's infused Witch Hazel
Balm: Proraso Green
Aftershave: Proraso Green

View attachment 68011

Where to start?
I have been looking, then umming and arrghing over the R94 stainless for some time now, however, i really did not need another razor, then one of my chief enablers in @RussellR5555 puts his up on BST, i left it for a good few hours but was drawn back to it time and again, basically it was not snapped up quickly enough by anyone else, therefore, the button was pushed. Russ always looks after his gear and this razor is brand new.
View attachment 68012
So to todays shave,
Maiden run with the R94, an easy choice in the Alpha TI, my most used brush by a long way, such a nice brush to use.
I have not used any of @BrianH soaps while i was breaking in the boar brushes so that was another easy choice.
The blade choice was to compare against my horror show of the Polsilver last week so its "brother" was chosen in the Wizamet SI - apparently the same blade?
A wonderful lather mixed up in the heavyweight copper Captain Choice, far too much soap used giving me enough for 5 passes if needed, so slick , glossy and creamy. The Signature Soaps are easily in my top 3 for there scent profiles and performance.
A quick cold water face wash to get things started, lathered up and away i went, the angle was found pretty much as soon as i started, there is a tiny bit blade feel which i do not mind, some slight adjustment and its a goer, the WTG pass was as smooth as glass, very comfortable, i completed the XTG pass again just so easy, i completed a face rinse and could have left it there but as i had a bowlful of loveliness and was enjoying the shave i decided to complete a "Gunpowder" pass, the final face rinse left my skin soft, comfortable and slickly BBS.
Same Blade? My eye - i just don't get it, chalk and cheese for me.
I finished off with a cold water rinse and the Proraso Green post shave products, sitting here in the cooling glow with a "face feeler finish", very happy shaver today, i am going to run with this razor for my DE shaves this week.
Anyway
Stay safe and enjoy your Sunday All.
Thanks Tony, take care and stay safe

L1030605ss.JPG

I rearranged my bathroom rack which contains my splashes, balms and aftershaves, and spotted the bottle of Phoenix & Beau’s Trafalgar. One sniff, and I knew what my next shave would include. ☺

It’s been a while since I used my FatBoy and a Silver Blue so they were added for an enjoyable post walk Sunday shave. This was also my first time using Proraso White pre-shave, and I enjoyed it. Unsurprisingly it smells the same as the Proraso White soap. DOH!

Anyway the soap and splash were excellent as always. I'd forgotten what the GSB was like so set the Fatboy to 6 for the first pass. Hmmm too much stubble remaining for my liking. But I kept it at 6 for the XTG and that was better. Down to 5 for the ATG neck pass, not good enough. Up to 7 for a very light ATG sweep and bingo, BBS. That's the joy of the adjustable, it gets you where you want to go without overshaving.

Stay safe and enjoy your shaves.

Razor: Gillette Fatboy 1959 - E2
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Soap: Phoenix & Beau Trafalgar
Brush: Simpson’s Milk Churn BB
Pre-shave: Proraso White
Post-shave: Phoenix & Beau Trafalgar
Bowl: Face lather

C4AE774C-E4A9-48A1-B6B3-F4C254CE388A.jpeg
Today’s shave gear has been all picked by my girlfriend - and it was quite an enjoyable shave!

Pre: hot towel to the face, proraso green preshave cream
Brush: yaqi 26mm mysterious space tuxedo
Soap: Tabac
Razor: Gillette new OC with carbon fibre mod.
Blade: Topaz platinum

Decided to mix it up today - told my girlfriend to pick out bits from my shaving stash and whatever she picks I’m going to use in today’s shave. Quite happy with the stuff she picked - had a really enjoyable shave!
Second time using the razor acquired from @tadpole - Thank you! Last time it was loaded with voskhod blade - this time topaz platinum. It was a close but really smooth shave - didn’t get much of a feel on how sharp this blade is, but it definitely felt smooth. Next run I’ll use this blade in my Rockwell 6s , since this is the razor I’m most familiar with so far.
Picked up couple micro weepers on ATG pass that closed up on their own within few moments. All in all really enjoyable shave finished with Tabac AS too. Smelling fresh soaps and smooth with DFS+ finish.

Enjoy your Sunday gentlemen.

Last edited:
What’s the scent like on the Wickhams Jay?
Hi Gary the only way I can describe it is like an English Rose garden slightly brighter than the Mdc Rose if you have smelt that a very slight sweetness but not overly, it’s very close to the Dr Harris pink they are almost indistinguishable. If you can hang on till the end of the week I can send you out a sample if you like ?

Hi Gary the only way I can describe it is like an English Rose garden slightly brighter than the Mdc Rose if you have smelt that a very slight sweetness but not overly, it’s very close to the Dr Harris pink they are almost indistinguishable. If you can hang on till the end of the week I can send you out a sample if you like ?
Thanks Jay much appreciated

IMG_20210411_112209.jpgIMG_20210411_112446.jpgIMG_20210411_120517.jpg
H&S Co 17-4 PO76
Gillette Platinum
Zenith Manchurian
Fine Italian Citrus soap and aftershave
EDC - Acqua Di Parma Colonia

The soap: I've been a big fan of the old formula so I was really hoping I wasn't going to be disappointed. I've had a run of soaps lately which have been very disappointing. The new formula has received some less than positive reviews so I went into this shave with low expectations.

Let's start with the negatives. The scent strength is light from the tub but it does improve once lathered. The scent is very similar to the original but (to my nose anyway) it's less tart(?).
Thanks to the fantastic matching aftershave I'm not fussed about the scent strength. Plus I double down with the EDC too.
I find the majority of soap scents don't linger after the shave anyway.

The positives: The texture of the soap is a croap but created a near identical lather to the old formula. The lather was slick with plenty of protection/cushion. Post shave was excellent too.

I was very happy the soap which aided a fantastic shave.

Have a great week Gents.

Cheers
Rob

SOTD, Friday 09 April 2021

Pre-shave:
Wright's Cold Tar Soap, followed by cold water splash.
Croap: Mondial Almond Shaving Cream.
Brush: Blackland (Signature).
Bowl: Captain's Choice.
Razor: Rockwell 6S (Matte black) - Basseplate 3.
Blade: Gillette Minora (Day 1).
Post: Cold water splash, D.R. Harris Pink Aftershave followed by Moroccanoil Organic Argan Oil.

Saturday's shave was with the same set-up as Friday (Muhle Rocca R96 with Bic Chrome); the postman kindly dropped off some Mondial Almond Shaving Cream and a puck of Gillette Minora's (I get a random tester subscription circa every 6 weeks); the write-up for the Minora was 'super sharp' so decided to try with a 'safe' razor.

A very pleasing 3 pass shave - WTG, XTG and ATG - its been a while since I went for 3 passes, and this was enjoyable with no issues - I felt why not!

The Rockwell 6S loaded with a Minora was a very good pairing - each pass felt a steady and progressive stuble reduction - almost stop when you want to get off the bus.

Tomorrow, I may try the same set-up but load the 6S with the 4 baseplate to see if a 2 pass is all I need.

Hope every one is safe and sane.

With best wishes,

Chris

Sunday 11th April

ACtC-3c_ifhQYnLJa1C-j9zCKwQdRJBCDC_R6dVmIXyYYGZ8GQXG7ihEFLPHJbS2hkGwXa7X_IYv73PM9cAp_UZDyKD5pHIOswbkibgzD07kNSqiUsCE94HhU7SxBUAn4hXfTE2iUY9huoU2SSTH5sCAb91tPQ=w800

French Pink Clay & Charcoal Face Soap
Tabac Original Shaving Soap
Omega 10098 Professional Boar
Yaqi Katana w/Windrose Darwin Handle
EuroMax Platinum (1)
Tabac Original Aftershave

In the wake of enjoying the Gillette Winner blades, the stainless of which is made by Vertice, I thought I'd revisit the Vertice/EuroMax Platinum ...

I am certain that I loaded a dud when first trying the Vertice/EuroMax Platinum as the shave was just truly horrible, akin to shaving with a honey badger! It was almost like the blade was not stropped with the first few strokes feeling like shards were peeling off the edge and thereafter as if the blade had become serated. Not a great experience.

Tonight, while I maintain that first experience was indeed with a dud, the first few stokes also felt as if the blade could have benefitted from a good stropping. This blade is very sharp! Sharpness that perhaps my late model Gillette Tech failed to alert me to with my first experience. Past Silver Star kind of sharp into London Bridge kind of sharp, and while the London Bridge has a playful weasel-like bitiness the EuroMax Platinum has all the playfulness of that honey badger!

Loaded into the Yaqi Katana, it's a daring challenge and one which I undertook with great care ...

While I thankfully didn't draw blood, I got a very close shave in one pass. That initial shardiness in the blade passed pretty quickly but did not reveal the usual smoothness of a platinum blade - while not raw (as I found the Vertice-made Gillette Winner Stainless to be), it's simply not smooth. I praised the presumably Gillette-made Winner Platinum for this characteristic, lauding it as feeling like a really good stainless with the hardness of a platinum edge rather than smoothness which often masks the sharpness. In some respects, tonight's experience was like a gypsy bare-knuckle Gillette Winner.

Following a technically very successful single pass, I applied my aftershave and while it wasn't cry out loud painful, I did do a little on the spot dance! My face certainly knew it had been shaved!

... and so I am left rather in two minds about this blade now. I either really like it. Or, I really don't. Either way, I think I like it enough (and prefer it in this single edge format) to warrant a purchase of a pack of 100 while they're still about.

Back
Top Bottom