SOTD my legs, his head, face is next

Legs (mine):

Gillette Thin Handled tech
Pre: home combo of castor, grapeseed and sweet almond oil (unscented)
Geo Trumper Sandalwood (one leg)
Edwin Jagger (other leg)
Post: robust, home made moisturizer with chickweed oil and jojoba with lavender.

My lathering is getting better but I also think I'm being more generous with the soap. I have heard the suggested amount of cream soap as being "walnut sized" or "the size of a nickel". I wonder if the Geo Trumper sample container is this particular amount. Of course, the amount I use on a leg is likely different than what a man uses on his beard... Anyway, equal amounts were used on each leg. I was impatient today and went ATG but maybe due to the differing nature of leg hair I can get away with this. I have achieved BBS, hopefully I won't be paying to dearly for it!

Head (husband's):

Gillette Thin Handled Tech
Pre: castor, grapeseed, sweet almond oil (unscented)
Bluebeard's revenge

Same as last time, no nicks. Hair was a bit longer than last time so 3 passes were necessary- I could benefit from a more assertive razor but I will take my time before I make this leap. The Bluebeard's Revenge is a really quick lather, holy cow! I am researching the ingredients after this post... Husband a bit less patient today because he needs to get to the butcher before closing, so I will do his face later. He questions whether it is really worth the time that it takes, but I have reminded him that it is taking more time than it would a more experienced shaver because I am learning the contours of his head, angle of the razor, direction of hair growth, etc. I hope it makes enough difference, in time, to the feel and comfort of his skin to coax him into continuing. Anyway, I really enjoyed this bit of playtime :)

I wonder if the Geo Trumper sample container is this particular amount.

Yes, their sample pots are designed with one shave (or one leg!) in mind.

Your lathering probably is improving partly due to the amount of soap... one of the easiest ways to get a richer lather is to just use more product, I don't bugger about with the minimum nowadays, I squidge a healthy amount onto the brush right from the off.
Sounds like you're enjoying the journey, well done.

I see you settled on a thin handled Tech as a starter razor, Cassia. well, I've just discovered another, possibly even easier. I was put onto 1904 Gillettes as mild razor, which surprised me as they look viscious. I bought a Merkur '04 Replica and used it for the first time today. It's a can't go wrong razor: so mild I wondered if it was shaving; close shave as smooth as smooth; floats on the lather so it's ideal for that 'scrubbing' (or whatever it's called) technique.

It stays on my 'in use' shelf because it 'scrubs' under my nose so gently and I can actually get BBS there!

Bechet45 said:
I see you settled on a thin handled Tech as a starter razor, Cassia. well, I've just discovered another, possibly even easier. I was put onto 1904 Gillettes as mild razor, which surprised me as they look viscious. I bought a Merkur '04 Replica and used it for the first time today. It's a can't go wrong razor: so mild I wondered if it was shaving; close shave as smooth as smooth; floats on the lather so it's ideal for that 'scrubbing' (or whatever it's called) technique.

It stays on my 'in use' shelf because it 'scrubs' under my nose so gently and I can actually get BBS there!

Bechet45, I haven't settled on it yet, I have four other beginner razors to try as well- I want to try each one a few times before moving on, then possibly revisit the first one as my technique (hopefully) improves. What makes some razors easier, milder than others if they achieve close shaves?

Now to search "scrubbing technique"...

Wait until someone corrects me - 'scrubbing technique' does NOT look right when you write it! There is a tutorial around and it comes under 'Advanced Techniques' along with 'J-hooking'.

Scuffing, maybe?

It's called blade buffing...no it's not something you do with a blade in the nod. I suppose its an advanced technique to get at those areas that don't succumb, you shouldn't need it but Mantic covers it in one of his vids.

As for razor aggression that's mainly down to the razor head design...blade gap. exposure, open tooth or saftey bar etc are all factors, once you have enough experience you should be able to shave with most types of razor to a satisfactory level by adjusting your technique accordingly. Thats why your systematic approach while your technique is improving is a good one rather than say jumping from razor to razor and then thinking it's the razor that's improved your shave.

antdad said:
It's called blade buffing...no it's not something you do with a blade in the nod. I suppose its an advanced technique to get at those areas that don't succumb, you shouldn't need it but Mantic covers it in one of his vids.

As for razor aggression that's mainly down to the razor head design...blade gap. exposure, open tooth or saftey bar etc are all factors, once you have enough experience you should be able to shave with most types of razor to a satisfactory level by adjusting your technique accordingly. Thats why your systematic approach while your technique is improving is a good one rather than say jumping from razor to razor and then thinking it's the razor that's improved your shave.

I am looking for the link but can't find it, am I blind or is it hiding... can anyone send me a link please?

cassia said:
antdad said:

I am looking for the link but can't find it, am I blind or is it hiding... can anyone send me a link please?

Here you are:
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQco5PWc2JU[/video]

Ah, thanks for that, chrisbell! Just watched it, it seems a tad frightening but worth checking out- I'm surprised at how many passes he makes over the bare skin once the soap is removed :eek:

cassia said:
Ah, thanks for that, chrisbell! Just watched it, it seems a tad frightening but worth checking out- I'm surprised at how many passes he makes over the bare skin once the soap is removed :eek:

Well, Lisa, there are two possible explanations for that, as I see it:

1. He's using zero pressure, and when I say zero, I mean ZERO. The blade is only just touching his face. Plus, he's experienced and knows what his face can tolerate, so he only goes as far as he knows he can manage without getting irritation.

2. Thanks to the moistness of his lather (it looks a little wetter for this sort of touching-up than the lather he uses for main reduction passes in his other videos to me) is lubricating enough that it leaves a thin, slippery film on his face even after the blade has been across it a couple of times. In his other videos he stresses that, normally, you need to avoid doing it more than necessary.

GDCarrington said:
cassia said:
He questions whether it is really worth the time that it takes... Anyway, I really enjoyed this bit of playtime :)

Every now and then it is good to stop questioning and learn to enjoy!

This morning was quite enjoyable, and I had loads of time to shave his face. As his beard is of the chin strap style, the learning curve is exceptionally steep here... the finished look is not as symmetrical as I was hoping but he is okay with this, as he doesn't go back to work until Tuesday. If I try and fix it later, am I asking for trouble? How much time needs to elapse, usually, before another pass can happen without extra irritation?

He is happy to be pampered in this way and the trick definitely seems to be choosing the right time. Actually, he is the one who asked for this today :)

I used my own soap, too, which seems to be performing better than I expected. Needs more stearic, as it's not quite pearlescent enough for my preference, and I might dabble with other added goodies, but not a bad starting point at all. Foam held up really well.

I did a bit of buffing Chris, with zero pressure (not a strategy, just a natural approach!) and yes, the extra moisture does maintain lubrication fairly well.

Glad the buffing worked well. I'd suggest leaving 20-24 hours between shaves; some chaps will shave in the morning and again after work if they're going out that evening, but I know I'd tear my face up if I tried that.

Back
Top Bottom