SOTD: 30/08/12....Triple Change!

Well I'm into my 2nd week of DE shaving & tonite so thought id do a SOTD:

I got a few parcels from the postman today and rather than trying everything in its own time through caution to the wind and tried the lot

The Kit

Palmolive cream replaced with bluebeards revenge (ordered before i found my way here)

Wikinson sword boggo brush (10 years old) replaced with grosvenor badger & bristle brush

Gillette 7 o clock blue blade replacing the boot standard blade (still in the boot de razor)

The Shave
Not a great start as my lathering technique produced something even i would term useless so a bit of wasted time and cream later i had a good lather and with my new brush ready it was time to prepare my new blade! Out came the boots blade and in went 7 o'clock, (not before doing my usual trick of unscrewing the razor and finding the top two pieces and blade in the sink)..............2 rather nice passes later and a bit of touch up and i was done

Conclusions & Thoughts

The cream: Bluebeards Revenge........mmmm well it smelt almost the same as the palmolive and although i messed up the 1st lather the 2nd went a lot better and razor glide was very good, however i cant help feeling that this wasn't a major step up from the palmolive having spent over £10 to get the stuff i felt a bit disappointed, maybe my expectations were too high or that i need more practise either way i've got another 49 shaves left in the tub (according to the box!).

The Brush: the grosvenor badger & bristle brush was a big step up from my 10 year old wikinson brush, held the lather well and didn't wilt when small amount of pressure were applied - for £12 from amazon I'm happy.

The Blade: The 7 o clock blue gave a very good 1st pass but seemed rather blunted by the 2nd pass which i found surprising, however knowing i had a sharper blade helped me to apply less pressure to my neck area which resulted in less irritation but still gave a close shave which was pleasing.

Final thoughts: Im still new and only doing two WTG passes followed by touch ups but with the new sharper blades having arrived (65 blade sample pack) i'll be upping this to 3 passes next week, I'm learning all the time but crucially still enjoying my shaving. My neck area is still suffering from "fusion-itus" but the old shaving rashes seem to be fading slowly and every shave results in less cuts and less "ahhh" moments when i splash with witch hazel afterwards.

My theory is that you can trust your brain to make subtle adjustments day-by-day (muscle memory, painful experience and so on)... so no point fretting or over-analysing (but still take note of obvious good advice though). After three weeks DE shaving I was getting on quite well... then I decided a slightly different approach... and it was a disaster. Back to the learning curve. My biggest surprise was that while I was thinking about the actual shaving... my lathering technique was steadily improving without any over-thinking... now I get the lather of the gods rather than a wimpy foam that fizzles out after one pass.

My own view... it was good to move up from the Boots first-try gear, but now I'm trying very hard to use up all my Derby blades before I start mucking about with my Connaught's sample pack. Still got a full pack of Derby's to go at three shaves per blade.

Good luck with all that, and carry on enjoying it... who'd have thought a shave would be enjoyable!

Back
Top Bottom