SOTD 3-7-2012 Gillette Goodwill test

I used my Gillette Goodwill from 1931 today for shaving, the shave was prepared well, I took a shower and after that made my lather with De Vergulde Hand shaving soap.

The first pass I did carefully WTG and after that I did a second pass which I do a XTG/WTG combo, XTG from my ears to my nose on my cheeks and WTG in my neck, after that I did a third pass which I only did some ATG in my neck to make it smoother there.

I did find the Goodwill slighty more aggressive then I'm used, I use normally an Edwin Jagger DE89L, but today I wanted give the Goodwill for one test run, the Goodwill looks nice, works good but I prefer a more mild safety razor.

The ATG also gave me some razor burn, lucky it wasnt that bad and some Nivea sensitive aftershave balm gave it some healing.

Diqiu-Long said:
I used my Gillette Goodwill from 1931 today for shaving, the shave was prepared well, I took a shower and after that made my lather with De Vergulde Hand shaving soap.

I did find the Goodwill slighty more aggressive then I'm used, I use normally an Edwin Jagger DE89L, but today I wanted give the Goodwill for one test run, the Goodwill looks nice, works good but I prefer a more mild safety razor.

The ATG also gave me some razor burn, lucky it wasnt that bad and some Nivea sensitive aftershave balm gave it some healing.

Hi there,

Never used a Goodwill, but I've seen em in person and have read lots of reviews. They look to me like a mean spirited little bastard, but then I don't like aggressive razors. And that's what these are known for. That, and the unusual head design.

So you picked a tough one to practice with, but you survived nicely. Just an idea, but you may like to put that one away till your technique is better.

Martin

dodgy said:
Diqiu-Long said:

Hi there,

Never used a Goodwill, but I've seen em in person and have read lots of reviews. They look to me like a mean spirited little bastard, but then I don't like aggressive razors. And that's what these are known for. That, and the unusual head design.

So you picked a tough one to practice with, but you survived nicely. Just an idea, but you may like to put that one away till your technique is better.

Martin
They also look more aggressive. Well in the half year i'm shaving now my technique has already quite improved, I find myself able to handle a strange safety razor without much more cuts and nicks.

To be honest I was also surprised, I knew the Goodwill was aggressive, but I'm confident off my shaving technique and before I would never do an ATG as its kinda sensitive.

Normally I also not do three passes, but I can see when doing ATG in the third pass its better, but I'm still working to improve the technique and De Vergulde Hand shaving soap does a fine job but there is only enough in the brush for three passes.

But before I used a shaving cream.

full.jpg

You see it looks quite aggressive, but that's why the open comb is there I guess. But its a nice safety razor to see and I don't think you see them often.

Back
Top Bottom