SOTD: 18 of September to 24 of September of 2021

Monday AM 2021-09-20
World Barber Day!
XEttvIO.jpg

Rooney Emillion 2 Tiger Stripe Finest (24/53)
Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet SS (tallow)
Carbon Mokume-gane Brass/R2 Copper
Polsilver Super Iridium (5)
Penhaligon's Racquets Formula aftershave (vintage)
lZcEzFV.jpg

242316784_276482667437497_3709841201468768241_n.jpg
Prep: Shower, Palmolive Olive Oil Soap
Soap: Ach Brito Mogno
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Mysterious Space Tuxedo
Razor: Parker 22R Interceptor
Blade: Tiger (1)

Well this "actually leaving the house for work" thing really impinges on your time;) Anyway, here's today's setup. Simple straightforward shave with no drama - exactly what was needed for a 6am start!

47917D9D-9550-4D2A-971D-3D2B4A9CFF07.jpeg
Prep: Shower with No. 7 exfoliating face wash.

Pre: PAA cube unscented.

Soap: Proraso wood and spice.

Brush: Yaqi orbital boar brush.

Razor: Merkur Futur clone.

Blade: Voskhod

Post: Alum, Baxter’s aftershave balm and proraso wood and spice aftershave.

Forgot how much I love this cream and as my lathering has improved so has my enjoyment of it! So creamy, thick and slick plus the strongest scent I know on a cream or aftershave!

Monday 20th September

AM-JKLWy441MmLv4DNJUaq_c4MyYdXNtxKS74b8xOECM6UtVyesylwmGtLHACJHiMIko8PcAh_atHQQTZk6XpOuPNfSxRYvd1vTuItTzpEPxxB9tzBiTRs2MlkyHJewgFJfSj3QFjTX7JT0HFekbLSKoOwdi6w=s800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap
DSC Stem w/Blonde Boar 24mm
Weck Prep Medical Razor
Personna Stainless (1)
Gillette Series Wild Rain Aftershave

Fancy a GEM style blade shave but like the width of the AC format? The Weck Prep is for you ...

It takes the longer, slimmer Personna blades marketed for hair shaping. The format actually goes back to 1909 when Weck came onto the market with their disposable blade straight razor, the Weck Sextoblade. Stroppable blades that could be replaced, negating the need for you to maintain your straight razor and taking all the benfit of the new concept of disposable blades. Over time, the Weck format was adoped into widespread use amongst the medical profession, seeing such models as the Weck Orderly (also issued to the US Navy MDs), the Weck Bantam (a smaller model for the Nurses) and this model, the Weck Prep. Nowadays, there are very few manufacturers of the blades - Personna brand (under AccuTec now) are the most easily accessible, which gives a coated finish on a stainless steel blade.

Razor = Rockwell 6s ( 4 )
Blade Platinum ( 3 )
Brush = Turn N Shave 28mm Boar Stoat
Soap = Declaration Grooming Mayflower
Splash = Nivea 2 Phase
Balm = The Merchant By Zingari Man

Another brilliant shave for me tonight and a first with Declaration Grooming.
I loved every minute of this soap from start to finish.
The floral scent was a straight 7/10 straight from the tub, a very complex bit beautiful scent.
The third use of the Tiger was a hit & miss but hey ho i can’t win them all.
Overall it was a very good shave and exactly what i needed after a 12 hour shift.
Stay Safe Lads
98F248BA-677D-431A-AB79-8129ED7D8F3B.jpeg

Sotd-20-09-21.jpg

This afternoon -

razor - Cobra
blade - Proline (7)
brush - Semogue Torga
soap - Vie-Long Mentha Eucalyptus
post - witch hazel
a/s - Myrsol Formula K
balm - Floid.

All good - the soap and aftershave were made for each other - assuming you like the smell of mint that is. If not, I wouldn't go near them. :) Another super close and comfortable shave. Cheers - I.

91B7B057-A1B7-49F8-B444-2540F3BAAFAD.jpeg

Warm rinse and Proraso Red pre-shave
Yaqi Rainbow 26mm synthetic brush
Extro Cosmesi Tabacco cream
Alpha Shaving Claymore Evolution
Feather Professional (1)
Warm/cold rinse, Thayers Unscented and Extro Cosmesi Tabacco aftershave

I’m like a child with a new toy.

Home this evening to unwrap the Claymore with its matching stand and pack of Feather Professional blades. My maths tells me I saved £30 by ordering from Alpha, though the 2 week wait was soul-destroying….watching everyone open their new shiny razors.

First things first. The bamboo style presentation box is a nice touch. Opening the lid revealed a similarly nice pouch, holding the razor safely and snugly inside.

In the hand the razor is a tidy piece of engineering. Clearly a lighter head than it’s eldest brother, the Claymore V1, which I’ve been using regularly. This razor looks lean and ticks all the boxes when it comes to nice sharp angles and modern looks. This will clearly appeal to a lot of men. The Version 1 is heavy, raw, some might even say cumbersome, or a man’s “proper razor”. The Evolution is lean, sharper, even technical in comparison.

I tried loading a Schick Proline which unfortunately didn’t fit. Steve from Alpha Shaving has been open and honest enough to highlight that such instances may occur, in an email he sent several weeks ago. I’ve highlighted my issue and from what others have experienced, he’ll be true to his word and fix things. Excellent.

The Feather Professional blades supplied fit perfectly. Although not my preferred blade, I wasn’t going to delay use any longer.

The razor feels lighter and more controllable in hand. The smaller head making under the nose far more easy.

3 passes later and done. As said, this isn’t my favourite blade and I did find it a tad rough. A few weepers directly under my chin but nothing to be concerned about. Hopefully the blade will smoothen out for its next use (a bad workman always blames his tools!).

Initial impressions are good for the Evolution. I’m not going to have one “meh” shave and start saying it the best ever. It’s certainly good but needs a bit more time and defo other blades (for me anyway).

On today’s performance, I’d give this a 6 or 7 out of 10, though I do think it’ll get better.

I’m certainly happy with my purchase, even though the wait was awful!

Have a great evening folks!

20/09/2021 - SEptember

Razor: Alpha Claymore Evo / Schick Type L
Blade: Schick Proline (1) /NOS Dutch Schick (8)
Brush: Boti Captain 23mm
Soap: T&H Ultimate Comfort

IMG_20210920_210749.jpg

I had to abandon the Claymore halfway through the first pass. A very rough shave. I believe this is due to the blade alignment. The Schick L stepped up for the rest of it and did an admirable job.

JVo2pIx.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap
Brush: Rooney Polo 2 Super Badger
Soap: Murphy & McNeil Cliffs of Moher
Razor: Wolfman WR1
Blade: Vintage NOS Wilkie Light Brigade (5)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Myrsol Blue Aftershave Lotion
Scent: Musgo Real Classic Cologne

An invigorating and very close shave.

SOTD : 21st September 2021.

11.jpg

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/Nivea Men Power Fresh Shower Gel.

Pre:
Cold wet flannel to my face.
FatFace Ocean Escape Soap Bar.
Brush: Wilkinson Sword Boar.
Face Lather.
Lather: Palmolive Classic Shave Sticks. (Grated)
Blade: Euromax Platinum Single Edge. ( D1)
Razor: Yaqi SE Katana.

Cold water face wash with brush squeezings, Cold Water Face Rinse. /Homemade (~Autumn/Winter mix~) peppermint lavender, eucalyptus, + Tea Tree essential Oils Mixed Together With 200ml of Care+Witch Hazel./Brut Attraction Totale ASL./Wilko Men's Moisturiser.

Greetings,

Early morning shave.

The grated Palmolive shaving soap was the star of the shave this morning....It doesn't matter which way i use the humble Palmolive classic shave stick , it never fails to provide me with a super protective slick lather leaving a good post shave feel. Superb stuff!.

It's a great shame that this humble stick is no longer on sale in the UK...I have seen two sticks on eBay UK going for £17.95p +£2.95p Economy Delivery...Sheer exploitation.!!!

The Katana & Euromax Platinum duo continued to cut through my stubble with effortless ease.

A Enjoyable 2 pass + pick ups close comfortable shave with no errors to report...Finishing the shave off with a small dollop of Wilko Men's Moisturiser.

My face is feeling super smooth & smelling divine.;)

Stay safe, and enjoy your day ladies & gentlemen.:cool:

Tue 21 SR SOTD
Soap Southern Witchcraft Samhain
Brush Yaqi 24mm Silvertip
Razor Ribbon 1000
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel MitA + Southern Witchcraft Samhain Splash.
A break from Stirling today. The SW soap qualities are very good too. The lather was creamy and slick with a scent I can only describe as pumpkinish...perhaps some tobaccoish...
Shave again with this razor after putting it through the pasted balsa progression. Still nice & smooth with some improvement to the edge...slightly keener. 3passes for an improved result of dfs/ccs/sas and no issues. Matching aftershave was good with some added frost drops but definitely not a family favorite.
20210921_134504.jpg

Have a break, have a Kit Kat. The shave with the theme 'My free shave'

20210920_154134.jpg

Free world - Yaqi Excalibur
Pain free - Kai Titan mild
Tax free - Muhle ivory synthetic silver tip
Fat free - Menrock Scicilian Lime
Some band called free

My free shave on special offer so I presume I have to pay someone for the previous five. I can only but suspect that the Emporium has taken a whole new line of underhanded practices.

My smallest brush meets my smallest razor with a massive outcome.

I gave my wife this brush sometime back and it never really got much use so I have ended up retaking ownership. It did an okay job but now I remembered why I transferred ownership in the first place. It is quite soft and floppy ending up with a big hole in the middle when lathering. Like I said it did an okay job but nothing to write home about.

It shall be duly returned to her where she can have a second soft and floppy object in her life once again.

The Yaqi Excalibur remains an amazing razor and an exercise in minimalism. There is very little material in this razor head and as I have said previously, an SE blade on the end of a stick. But it works and it works wonderfully. Three days of facial rubbish removed with uptmost ease and efficiency. No collateral, no fear factor and all the way to a big happy grin and a chop smoothing stroke. Damn good my man, damn good

Have a break, have a Kit Kat and have some Nonnon. A minimalist band to go with a minimalist razor

Back
Top Bottom