Sony alpha 5000 Close Up

Crossan

Supporter
Supporter
Hey All,

I'll preface this with the fact that I am an absolute novice when it comes to cameras. I've had a Sony alpha 5000 for a while now. I wanted a decent but easily portable camera, which for me it has done what I've wanted it to. What I'm struggling with at the moment is close up shots.

So to that end, does anyone have any experience with the camera and is anyone able to recommend a macro lens that might be suitable?

I know you can buy the made to measure one and that may very well be the exact one I need, but I believe you can also buy convertor collars so I would think that might open the field a bit.

I don't have a budget, that's not to say I don't have a limit (I haven't won the lottery just yet), but I don't know what these things cost so can't set my budget appropriately.

Any help or advice anyone could offer would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Marc

Take a look at reverse macro ... where you use a double-sided adapter to attach a second lens backwards. Look also at M42 lenses which are manual focus. Any (good) 50mm could be used as the backwards lens. You just need to know the screw pitch/diameter of each lens and get an adapter, accordingly.

You can also get an M42 adapter for the Sony, so you can use the lens with the camera.

Another idea is to look for some close-up adapters ... these screw onto the front of your regular lens and can be stacked, so a 4x plus 2x plus 1x will give you pretty much a 16x. This is good for close-up. The reverse lens above is for macro, which is VERY close-up.

Close-up adapters will get you at least closer to what you want to picture with the kit you already have.

Ah that's great, thank you man. I'm not after close ups to the point that I'm nigh on touching the object so the screw ons may be enough for my needs rather than going reverse/macro.

I'd tried initially to research it but got completely lost in the terminology and the ton of options out there, so thank you again!

Your existing lens will say what its diameter is on the front - it's a O with a line through and a number. Apologies, "filters" is the right word. So, set of close-up filters for whatever your diameter and they'll screw in the front of your existing lens.

If you want closer still, look at an extension tube. This will fit into the camera itself and the lens then fits to the end. It's acts like a telescope. Super-close can be achieves with a tube AND filters. You'll need one specific for your camera to ensure the focus and aperture is passed through to the lens unless you're going to do all that manually.

You'll benefit from a tripod, as the closer you get any vibration will be amplified. Likewise aperture should be quite closed to take in a good depth and so you'll need a longer exposure. That, or take three or four shots with a shallow depth of field and stack them together in some software so the whole subject is in focus.

Best just jump on in and take lots of pictures while experimenting ... some of the best are often by mistake.

Here's some of my mistakes/outtakes while mucking about with an extension tube an a 1970s manual lens (M42 thread): https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/threads/alien-life.53077/

Apologies, "filters" is the right word. So, set of close-up filters for whatever your diameter and they'll screw in the front of your existing lens.
No drama, I hadn't hit buy on anything just yet, I'm impulsive but I have a little self control when it's something I know jack about lol

If you want closer still, look at an extension tube. This will fit into the camera itself and the lens then fits to the end. It's acts like a telescope

Something akin to the following?

If that's the sort of thing you're talking about then I'll give it a bash. As you say just snap away and fingers crossed get something decent and if nothing else a bit of practice!

Yep ... that's what I mean by extension tube/s. So that and a set of +1/2/4/10 close-up filters to suit the diameter of your lens and you'll be rocking!

Now you know the terminology and the purpose of these things, what's free is YouTube. Watch some videos and hopefully there'll be some tips about setting up focal length and exposure to suit as you're no longer taking "regular" pictures. Most things will need some sort of adjustment but experimentation is the best way, especially so you make lots of mistakes and enjoy the effect of those mistakes.

Getting those lovely macro insects is a real art. Once you've sorted your method and technique, everything needs speeding up dramatically for the camera, so masses of light ... focussed strong light so you can take a quick (even handheld) snap. It is possible.

Don't forget also that the picture you take can easily be a few thousand pixels wide and so a crop into a picture will immediately make any macro "more macro". Cropped down to even 1600 pixels wide is still a big picture and for a pic on the web like our SOTD pictures, down to 1200 or even 800 pixels will do fine ... which can be quite a small part of an original big picture.

You know I don't think I've watched so many YouTube videos in my entire life compared to the last few months of having been on this forum ha ha!

Got the extensions on order, I'll get the filters ordered tomorrow after I've had a look at a few then I'll start queuing up the videos. Luckily I think I already have a tripod laying around but might need to transfer the mount from my old dslr, if compatible otherwise it'll be another amazon job, then I'll just get practicing.

Thank you, should be interesting to see the results, and an entertaining SOTD (new game, guess the stock razor from the section shown), fingers crossed I can pick it up well enough.

Cheers

Marc

Played around with the extensions (using a subject matter we're all familiar with), all just in the hand so they're not focused but they seem to be able to get to the levels I wanted, much easier with manual focus which I didn't do with these.

Though I will still probably get the filters then I can mix and match!

DSC01677.JPGDSC01668.JPG

DSC01687.JPGDSC01688_1.JPGDSC01693.JPGDSC01678.JPGDSC01686.JPGDSC01684.JPG

Good so far ...

More playing around, understanding light and how fickle focus (and depth of focus) is when you're extended right in and you'll be well on your way. Close-up filters on the front in addition will get you closer still. The key at that point really is light and a tripod so you can focus exactly right. By hand, even a slight tremor will give blur and cause shallow depth of field focus to miss its intended target.

Carry on! Looks like you're having fun :D

Lol cheers man, aye those were really just snaps to see whether I could even take a pic at all, but even so still good fun.

It's going to take a lot of practice, but I always enjoyed playing around with photos before (they were passable family photos, nothing more), it's just been a long time since I've put any really effort in but I can see this one cracking on.

Cheers again for the help and advice, really appreciate it!

Marc

Back
Top Bottom