Something more agressive than a DE89

I'm mostly using an EJ DE89. Its fine for me at present but I'm making rapid progress and I am sure that I will want a more aggressive razor eventually.

I quite like the idea of an adjustable and, apart from the plastic knob, like the look of the Merkur Progress. However I'm open to advice, and recommendations.

What do you guys think, should I head for an Progress or something else? If so what?

There are a couple of places I know of where you can get custom knobs for a progress, <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://sites.google.com/site/bobsrazorworks/razor-handles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://sites.google.com/site/bobsrazor ... or-handles</a><!-- m --> the other one is ikonrazors.com. I have not used a progress but I do like the look of the metal knobs...

I went with a EJ DE89 to start with and I still use it regularly but I also added a Merkur 38C which I use just as much.
Im no expert but I do find the 38Cmore aggressive than the DE89 but in a nice way.
Maybe its the extra weight and/or longer handle that gives the 38C that different feel? but its a deinitely a more agressive shave.
Its a beautiful, solid and well made razor as well.
Nice switching between the two and playing around with different blades.
beejay

I've found that the Feather Portable (available from Paul Dog at under £10) can be quite aggressive -- didn't intially. The handle is a bit dinky (it's a travel razor), but I slap it on an Edwin Jagger or Parker handle and it works just fine. It's actually a good shaver, and excellent value.

Frederick said:
want agressive? Try a Futur :shock:

I agree. Even when it's down on number 1 it is still more aggressive than any of the fixed-head gillettes.

Having said that, it doesn't seem to damage me at all, just removes beard in a very efficient manner.

Oh, and there's always a Slant. Not as aggressive as some seem to think, but different.

Ian

Maybe an HD? I used a Merkur HD for many months (it was my first DE). It's actually quite an aggressive razor. I believe too aggressive for beginners.

The blade exposure and gap allow for a great range of blade angles so you have to be aware of how you're holding the razor against your face.

The DE 89 is a couple of notches milder - there is less of a gap and the blade angle itself is more acute, so it's harder to get the angle wrong. I find I get less irritation, and more consistent shaves with it.

If only Merker made an HD handle for it! :)

John

OK so the more I read about the Futur, the more interested I'm getting. I'm still concerned about the chunkiness, but I can't see its going to be that difficult to get in under my nose and around the side burns, seems a heavy beast though.

I've done a lot of reading about the Progress and the replacement knobs you can get etc. but the way I see it Merkur should supply them like that in the 1st place rather the plastic thing just looks naff!

The Futur will demand some technique adjustment due to its weight and balance. Most of the weight is in the head, which is a good thing as you're not dragging the handle across your face. It's a very good shaver and built to last a lifetime, more so than a Progress IMO.

The merkur futur was my first reintroduction to DE shaving. I now have a number of other razors but I don't think anything beats it....

Back
Top Bottom