Sole and Edge (Welt) Dressing

As we are, in general, a sartorially well educated bunch (and if not well educated, then definitely opinionated) I thought I would turn this query over to the forum.

I've got a couple of pairs of brown Loake's, which are lovely shoes but diminished in terms of appearance by scuffed welts on the toes. That is to say, the leather uppers are in fine condition, but the toe ends of the soles are scuffed. Both pairs were damaged in the same fashion - walking over uneven pavements when inebriated.

I've looked in my local supermarkets and Timpsons, but haven't been able to find any welt dressing. I remember my mum always had some handy for repairing high heels, etc. when I was a kid but I'm buggered if I can find any now. Possibly she used nail varnish.

Can anyone recommend a good place to get ahold of this and also recommend a decent brand (if possible)?

Thanks in advance!

Memories... Haven't seen or thought about that since the early 60's when I worked a very short stint in a shoe factory.
(In a Metal can with a cotton swab attached to the cap?)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kiwi-Leather-Heel-Color-Renew/dp/B000U9YODA/ref=sr_1_1?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1380194164&sr=1-1&keywords=sole+dressing

Can't say I have used it but it's cheap enough to have a punt. I have a very good shoe shop / repair shop near me and will ask if they have any next time I am in. Might be worth giving them a call, I am sure they would post to you if they have it.

http://www.wainwrightshoes.com/our_shops/risborough.htm

Hi Boab - thanks for that. Princess Risborough isn't too far from me, so I may well give them a bell and head over if they stock the stuff. Looks worth a visit in any case.

I'd seen the Kiwi stuff, but have only been able to see it in black - the shoes I've scuffed are brown sadly. If it comes to it, I'll work some dark brown shoe polish in directly, but I know that's a temporary solution.

The shop is good, it's a proper old style shoe shop with a large workshop at the back. They still carry out repairs and I would recommend them if you want anything doing on a pair of good shoes. They also have a fair amount of 'imperfect' barkers and loakes. You can pick some pairs up for around £100 instead of £200+. Worth a visit. They also have a shop in Beaconsfield.

In the end, I went to my local (independent) shoe repairers to see if they sold the stuff. Sadly they didn't but the chap happily took the shoes off my feet and re-stained the welts there and then on his machine.

I renewed my stocks of light and dark tan at the same time, but he hadn't asked for any payment.

Anyone in the vicinity of Ashford, Surrey (so Staines, Feltham, Shepperton, etc.) - I can thoroughly recommend the shoe repairers on the corner near Ashford Station.

Just a suggestion,but could you not smooth off the rough looking scuff marks with FINE sandpaper get some brown wood stain that comes close to a match,stain the scuffed fronts of the soles,then gently rub again using FINE sandpaper until a smooth appearance is acheived,and then maybe apply a coat of clear wood varnish,or as you yourself said maybe some clear nail varnish.It might work,I honestly think it might.And think how pleased with yourself you'll be.Good luck.

Sam.

That sounds fantastic - the varnish would add a layer of protection for the future. Could I apply that all over to achieve a kind of wipe clean perma-shine? Never have to polish my shoes again!

Well I would'nt personally,as I think the varnish would dry and crack the leather uppers,and to be honest with you Chopper (and by the way I've seen you play,and you were a right dirty bastard,who used to try and kick my beloved "Supermac" off the pitch, you could'nt play football) I rather enjoy polishing shoes.
Let me know how you get on,good luck with the Loake's.

Sam. (Supermac COULD play football)

C.H. could play football too... it all depends on which balls you're referring to, but to see him neatly bisect the oppositions gonads with malice aforethought was a thing of beauty. Poetry, sheer poetry.

http://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/products/saphir-teinture

Tracked some down online.

Back
Top Bottom