Soap suggestions (silvertip badger brush and shaving bowl)

Why does the bowl rule out MWF? Does it have to be a round bottomed cake to fit the bowl?
My top three to try as a cake would be MWF, Tabac or any of the DR Harris flavours.

It just doesn't lather well in a bowl (ask antdad) - Kent recommend face lathering it, Graham at Mitchell's also recommended face lathering with it - if the manufacturer and reseller both counsel against bowl lathering it and antdad had trouble bowl lathering that's 3 from 3 on a downer on it in a bowl.

Face lathered it's excellent though.

That BK8 is a big old soft girl. Well suited to cream generation in a bowl but it will swallow lots of water and lots of soap. It will take a while to adjust your'e technique and work out how to use it properly.

I agree with the above suggestions, here's another though that is less brush style dependent.

Palmolive Stick and Cream combo - Palmolive Super Lather.
Rub wet face with shave stick and put a dollop of cream right in the middle of your'e brush and work away. I guarantee you will have enough
good slick lather for many multiple passes.

A soft soap like Cella or P160 might be more appropriate and easier to use if you are used to lathering creams.
I might be mistaken but I think a hard triple milled soap would be difficult for your'e brush to pick up due to its size and softness.

Another vote for Tabac here as it lathers well whatever you do with it. I think it would be fair to say that the consensus here is that Wool Fat is funny stuff - rather off-putting 'til you find a technique that works, but excellent thereafter.

Yup Andy

I'm with you. Tabac is brilliant. Sometimes I think things are that good you tend to take them for granted.

Have never tried MWF. I have a bar of Valobra soap. It is very good, more like a thick cream though. Are all the Italian soaps like that?

Regards

Russell

i'm starting to think that a request for a particular soap/cream and brush combo is a bit of a pointless search
:eek:
:?
let me explain
the question was asked in good faith so my answer is simply this, my experience has taught me that any cake or stick of soap you buy last ages and a tub of cream will last a long time as well.
we also probably agree that there are certain must have/try soaps and creams (although i myself have more soap experience)
Palmolive - soap
Tabac - soap
MWF - soap
DRH - soap (lest Tony beat me)
etc
if you have a look at the various polls the usual suspects keep appearing, and with good reason.
i think what i'm trying to say (get to the point will you :roll: ) is you've got your brush, you will be getting these soaps and creams anyway so, just try it and see!

we have an old saying where i'm from which i think fits this pretty well
"you can only piss with the cock you've got"

i hope this doesn't sound too condescending, it certainly isn't meant to, it took me a few years to realise this myself.
says the man with a brush for creams, one for soft soaps and one for hard ones :lol:

I half agree in the sense that we could list a top 10 of soaps and creams that we would all have general consensus over but where would be the fun in that?

I think the one thing to consider with new DE shaver advice is, is it appropriate for someone with little or no experience? We can all tell them what are favorite's are but how long did it take you to find you're favorite? I thought Hando's advice about lather and not chucking the cartridges out was correct.

I think you have to tread a certain path and it just takes time to understand what you actually want.

well put Tony, i shall revise my answer in that case.

i only used my shaving bowl for creams never soaps and am pretty much a face latherer, so to answer Fido's question he needs a soap that he can load easily onto his (floppy) brush and then whip away in the bowl, so for now no sticks.

immediately i'd lean towards a glycerin based soap as a starting point - Mamabears is about the best i've tried but others here have more experience with these types of soaps than me, Tony and Anton for starters.
MB's is as easy a soap to lather as you'll find and would do very well in this set-up.

if you want to go the tallow/palmate route (hard soaps) the choices would be as before Tabac & DRH.
the only thing i would add is make sure you put some hot water on the top of your chosen soap cake for 5 mins before hand to help soften it prior to use.

hope this answers things a bit better

Some feedback on what I did following my original post. For a start, I probably posted the wrong question. I now understand that while I enjoy using a bowl there is a need to be more flexible if one is to enjoy the variety of soaps on offer. I have also now obtained a Simpsons Best Badger Duke 3 brush.

These are the soaps I have or await:

Tabac stick
Palmolive stick
Mitchels wool fat
Kent traditional (had it a while)
Toja stcick
Cade L'Occitaine
Arko Stick

I have used the Tabac,Palmolive,Kent,and Arko. All excellent. You pointed me in the right direction. The Duke 3 has come into its own with the sticks and soap. I am getting excellent lathers and very smooth shaves. It will be hard to pick a favourite. Each soap has its own pleasant characteristics.

You may find that your'e Kent and MWF are very similar if not identical, MWF make soap for Kent.
Is your'e Kent soap a creamy circular cake with a fairly neutral "soapy" smell and contains lanolin?

Back
Top Bottom