So whats the differance!!!

As a newbie to this brush lark whats the differance between say pure,best,finest,silvertip etc how do they rank in performance/cost and any other information for us badger noobs would help thanks kev :D

kev... said:
As a newbie to this brush lark whats the differance between say pure,best,finest,silvertip etc how do they rank in performance/cost and any other information for us badger noobs would help thanks kev :D
Hope this helps:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.shaving101.com/index.php/education/shaving-brush-basics/105-understanding-hair-grades-of-badger-brushes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.shaving101.com/index.php/edu ... ushes.html</a><!-- m -->

For someone who has a thread up not knowing about Badgers ( not you ) I would advise heeding anything that was just posted ( what ever it is ). I refer you to antdad, Andy, Fido, Henk, Neo, beejay... essentially anyone on this forum. Much knowledgeable about brushes in general.

Rule of thumb brushes no matter the grade-there isn't internationally accepted grade for shave brush. One's "Best" can differ from someone else's. I'll liken this to vehicles there's 4WD, AWD, SAWD ( Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive ). All from different manufacturers having different functions and connotation.
As for the brush, despite having 2 of same brushes under one brand they will not be the same. Possibly only time they may function similarly is if they were made by same artisan with same batch of knots and you happen to acquire said brushes. These brushes are often bespoke where a knot's loft are off +/- 1 to 3 mm if that.

Kev - the two links really do provide a nice summary of facts and opinions.

I liked what John said:

"Or the other view (mine!) is that you can face or bowl lather soaps or creams with whatever you damn well please.

Some are more suited to certain tasks (ie. smaller brush for face lathering) but plenty of people use a BK8 or Chubby 3 for face lathering.

Also - hair grades are complicated even further by the natural variation in badger hair. I've had four Rooney "Supers" and all were quite different in appearance, texture and feel. In my experience, the most consistent manufacturer in terms of hair (brushes bought months apart) is Savile Row.

So, take brush reviews with a pinch of salt - there is no guarantee that your specimen will match the reviewer's exactly"

Have fun in finding your own preferences. For some, it takes a lot of time and money. But for others it could be quite simple. They could just get one brush, find the right way to use it, and spend money on other things.

Back
Top Bottom