So what are your favourite childhood toys/games?

This thread is amazing, so many memories brought back.

GiJoes
Action Man
Meccano
Guns with poppers-made sparks
Micro machines
Match box cars
Monopoly
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Boglins and mini boglins
Monsters in your pockets
Mighty Max
Lego
Starwars
Mouse trap

There is some great 'down memory lane' moments on here guys!.
I too used to love toy soldiers!,especially the tiny (00 scale?) ones when combined with a Hornby Inter City 125 train set...;)
I had a Scalextrix too,unfortunately one of the cars burnt out on Christmas day...But at least many happy hours ensued watching the cat chase the car round,and round,and round...
Pocketeers,I know I had a couple,but cant remember what ones!.I think one may have been a roulette wheel?.EDIT-Rally and Angler!.
Rotodraw,used to pick these up from jumble sales for pennies.
Spyrograph,the little wheels always caused me issues...
There was another thing I had,I think it was called 'Flight Deck' ,where you had a plastic plane,on a long piece of wire that went from one end of the room to the other,and you had to guide the plane down the wire,and land it on a plastic/cardboard air craft carrier with a little joystick...
Airfix kits,I got quite good at these,and used to do my own diorama's.I used to heat up a pin.and add bullet holes and all sorts!.
Star Wars figures. I Didnt have that many,but a friend of mine was addicted to them,lucky little bugger even had the AT-AT!.
Matchbox/Corgi cars...I had a fair few,again,mostly from jumble sales,my favourite though was one I got for Christmas,Matchbox Adventure 2000 space age tank thing,it split into two parts,and fired little red missiles.Another favourite was the 007 Lotus Esprit!.

Last edited:
One of the earliest toys I remember having was The Golden Shot based on the eponymous game show (hosted by Bob Monkhouse of course).

It was a gun that projected a target onto the wall and you had to shoot it. From memory, I think when you pulled the trigger it punched a hole through a transparent card and this was projected (weakly!) onto a wall. Your room had to be absolutely pitch black in order to see anything at all.

TV96.jpg

Loved me a cap gun - had one like a Smith & Wesson with a white plastic handle insert. Bang yer deid!
Had an M16 machine gun too - made a great noise.
Lego - I made Mother search for all the parts I needed. My earliest memory of delegation.
My wee brothers - when I got tired off beating them up, I'd get them to fight each other. Hours of entertainment!
Marbles - had this killer 'steelie' till some toerag stole it.
Hornby Train Set - had a really cool loader but I broke it.
Football - was always out kicking a ball.
Raleigh Grifter XL - weighed a ton but was unbreakable. Got it for Christmas 1981.
Toy Soldiers or 'Sojers' as we called 'em.
Monopoly - always tried to be the banker and slip notes into my stash when no-one was looking. Cheated like the deil, so I did.
Trees - climbed them, fell out of them, jumped out of them, threw things at kids in them, threw kids at them. Climbable trees were the mutts!
Hay bales - Watch out farmer! We used to roll one or two into a local stream or 'burn', untie and unravel them, climb a tree and jump into the hay. Brilliant fun!
Star Wars toys - had one or two but there was always the spoiled kids who had just about everything going that they're parents could possible afford. Little shits...
Action Man with Eagle Eyes - got this jeep for him that fired little orange rockets one Christmas. Loved that thing.

Last edited:
I would say that my bicycle (Raleigh Olympus) was number 1, followed by my roller skates.

Then there was plenty of Corgi, Dinky and Matchbox cars and lots of Lego. Scalextric.

Racking my brains to think what else I had!

Anything involving construction so Lego and Meccano without a shadow of a doubt. I also rejoiced when I received a chemistry set one Christmas, various chemicals, samples and a microscope made for one very happy 9yr old. I then progressed into electronics, building radios and basic amplifiers, that sort of thing. I soon discovered rugby and began playing that.

I had a very typical boyhood in that sense :D

I was never allowed a chemistry set....I did end up getting an electronic's set,but nothing fitted in the base board!,so into the 'also ran's' cupboard it went...:(.I did spend some Christmas cash one year on a 25w soldering iron...The smell of burnt flesh emanated around the house for years after...:D

Vindec Speedwing - drop handler.
Lego, lots and lots of Lego.
Forts & Castles up the ying-yang.
BSA Airsporter S - underleaver job (I really wanted a Webley Vulcan though)
Action Man
Hornby Train Sets
Scalextrix (again I was hoping for a 'TCR' (Total Control Racing) 'cos you could overtake)
Battling Robots
Commando Comics and Valiant Annuals
A portable record player
HotWheels track set with loop di loop thing

Back
Top Bottom