So I discovered a new soap called "Tabac"...

I can't quite believe this is a man's shaving soap. The floral perfume seems very feminine to me - and not in a wolf-whistle kind of way. Every time it hits me I have a brief panic attack. Post-traumatic stress I guess: I have this terrible fear my mother is about to spit on a hanky and start wiping my face, roughly, annoyed at my latest crime against cleanliness. Such a strange choice of scent for male bathroom activity.

It's pretty strong stuff. I tried out a new shavette yesterday and hours after the shave it *still* smelled of Tabac. Maybe if I leave my window open and let the soap air for a few days the flowery aroma will calm down. Does Tabac attract bees?

But... it lathered up really easily and it got me through my first shavette shave with almost zero damage. That was quite impressive.

I don't exactly hate the scent: it's more that I was surprised by it. At the end of the day what does a little relived childhood trauma matter compared to a good shave?

I can't quite believe this is a man's shaving soap. The floral perfume seems very feminine to me - and not in a wolf-whistle kind of way. Every time it hits me I have a brief panic attack. Post-traumatic stress I guess: I have this terrible fear my mother is about to spit on a hanky and start wiping my face, roughly, annoyed at my latest crime against cleanliness. Such a strange choice of scent for male bathroom activity.

It's pretty strong stuff. I tried out a new shavette yesterday and hours after the shave it *still* smelled of Tabac. Maybe if I leave my window open and let the soap air for a few days the flowery aroma will calm down. Does Tabac attract bees?

But... it lathered up really easily and it got me through my first shavette shave with almost zero damage. That was quite impressive.

I don't exactly hate the scent: it's more that I was surprised by it. At the end of the day what does a little relived childhood trauma matter compared to a good shave?
Really? I get a spicy, woody ,musky masculine scent off it. I guess all our noses are different but it certainly isn't feminine to my nose.

As long as it done the job :LOL:

I can't quite believe this is a man's shaving soap. The floral perfume seems very feminine to me - and not in a wolf-whistle kind of way...

DrkLCen.jpg

I put off trying Tabac for around 10 years. I remember one of my sisters past boyfriends used it as an aftershave, which I liked the smell of. Once I did try the shave soap, then smell didn't bring back any familiar memories. However I do like the scent and as you say, it lathers really well.

I like the Tabac scent in small doses and love the performance. At one point I had the Tabac soap, post shave Balm, aftershave and EDP. It was too much - I couldn't bear the smell of myself by the end of the day. The EDP has gone and I much prefer the scent for a shorter period now.

I just wish I'd had the opportunity to try Sir Irisch Moos before it became unobtanium.

I like the Tabac scent in small doses and love the performance. At one point I had the Tabac soap, post shave Balm, aftershave and EDP. It was too much - I couldn't bear the smell of myself by the end of the day. The EDP has gone and I much prefer the scent for a shorter period now.

I just wish I'd had the opportunity to try Sir Irisch Moos before it became unobtanium.

Agree. I think the Tabac shaving soap, but I have no inclination for any other products, I find Tabac shaving soap works a delight with some Turkish Tobacco splashes I like.

IMO, they'd sell SIM by the truckloads if they brought it back.

When I first bought the soap, I didn't like the scent but then I fell in love with it.I stopped using it for months, I had new soaps to enjoy.... and when I went back to shave with Tabac I hated the scent again. I have tried it a few times but I still don't like it.....It's weird.

You should smell some of Chanel's feminine classics, like Cuir de Russie or Bois des Iles; they quite literally emasculate many modern "man" perfumes. Yeah, no great surprise - it's a classic scent profile shared across a whole spectrum of perfumes of the day and the high notes are coming through good and strong. It's quite a cacaphony, initially! You're likely not to be aware of that specific scent profile again, now your nose knows it ...

Maybe I've been too hard on Tabac. My first impression was based on a brand new lump of soap unwrapped for the very first time and shoved up my nose.

But it's made for shaving, not huffing, and in use it's absolutely fine. Just a mild soapy scent which barely registered while I concentrated on my 2nd-ever deadly shavette shave of death.

The performance is great and that's what really matters. Not a single nick! (Although I only did cheeks & neck then finished off with the DE which is cheating a bit). I think I'll use Tabac exclusively until I build up some skills. It's my lucky shavette soap.

PS: I left the stick out, unwrapped, in my bedroom all day. Not a single bee!

I love Tabac and have all the other Tabac stuff too, but I do agree with those that say it can be a bit much all used together. I had a similar experience with TOBS sandalwood shaving soap, AS, EDT...I felt so sick of the smell of myself after a few hours I showered and through everything away but the soap...I still use that and really like it...as long as that's all I use. I guess the longevity of the Tabac AS and strength of the scent in the shaving soap is a testament to what quality used to be like...an unchanged formula that's quite singular and great in moderation.

Not sure about it being a feminine scent but boy is it strong and long lasting. Personally I don't like it. I only have to see the word Tabac and I can smell it and even then it lingers somewhat. It has to be said though that it is a great performer and good value for money. I've previously grated up a stick and left it in an open container in the garage for a couple of months. Then mixed it with some grated palmolive and added a good few drops of essential oil... lemon or whatever you fancy. Microwave for short bursts until it's soft, stir it all together and leave to harden. Excellent soap that lasts for many months without the weird Tabac smell.

Back
Top Bottom