Smiling blade straights - 6/8 or 7/8

Coming here for piece of advice - I'd love to get another straight razor - potentially 6/8 or 7/8 with smiling blade.
Something along the looks of Koraat that was recently on BST (one day I need to get myself one of those - had a look on their site and they do have some beautiful razors).

My budget will be around £50-£60 at the moment.
What razors would be good to look out for (that is if there's even a chance of getting one at such price)

Coming here for piece of advice - I'd love to get another straight razor - potentially 6/8 or 7/8 with smiling blade.
Something along the looks of Koraat that was recently on BST (one day I need to get myself one of those - had a look on their site and they do have some beautiful razors).

My budget will be around £50-£60 at the moment.
What razors would be good to look out for (that is if there's even a chance of getting one at such price)
Most of the vintage , Le Grelots have a slight smile usually , assuming they have been well honed. Modern Thiers Issard do as well.

Both can be picked up second hand , but you will need to budget for a Hone.

Why a razor with a Smile ?

Most of the vintage , Le Grelots have a slight smile usually , assuming they have been well honed. Modern Thiers Issard do as well.

Both can be picked up second hand , but you will need to budget for a Hone.

Why a razor with a Smile ?
Thanks Russ!

To be honest no particular reason besides liking their looks.
Other than that, now that I think about it, I assume it could be slightly different just as is with safety razors and slant - the way it cuts the hair

Ok cool.

The idea of a pronounced smile i believe is you get more cutting area without making the blade longer, many people feel they get a better shave with them , I have never felt much of a difference. The TIs and Le grelots have a very slight smile.

We all have our preferences but if it was me for that budget I would look for a nice Vintage Japanese Razor most won't have a smile. or one from a good vintage German Maker.

Ok cool.

The idea of a pronounced smile i believe is you get more cutting area without making the blade longer, many people feel they get a better shave with them , I have never felt much of a difference. The TIs and Le grelots have a very slight smile.

We all have our preferences but if it was me for that budget I would look for a nice Vintage Japanese Razor most won't have a smile. or one from a good vintage German Maker.
Thanks Russ - Will keep an eye out for some Japanese Razor too. Simply due to me liking Japanese stuff overall haha!

My one and only straight is Dovo Black Star 5/8 - so a German made one... Can't let it sit there all lonely haha

Back
Top Bottom