Smart tech in the home......do you?

We need a new thermostat for the central heating. After a bit of research went off down a rabbit hole looking at smart devices. Including digital TRVs. I dont have any smart devices in the house - such as Alexa speakers. However, being able to zone and control the heating is quite appealing.

For a number of reasons, such as privacy and feeling smart devices are just not necessary - I've never bothered. However, I'm starting to see the appeal of some of the tech. I dont want a fridge that is connected to the matrix - but, Alexa speakers are very cheap and get good reviews. I always have music on around the house. Then there are door bells........

I have the Wiser system, a mix of hue and other smart lights, as well as an Alexa device in almost every room. The heating system is excellent value for the money. The starter kit was £130 a few days ago on Amazon, so very reasonable, keep an eye out in the sales.

I don't like the Alexa devices. The wife had one and they can sometimes just start responding to something when not requested. Over a year it happened four or five times but quite creepy.
If you work from home and speak to customers on the phone (well, through the computer these days) employers insist you must switch them off because they are always listening and who knows what is really shared with Amazon, whatever the official line.
Of course there's an argument that there are some contradictions with this position. My smartphone is arguably capable of the same thing. Alexa seems more intrusive as it is directly responding to anything you say (even when you're not addressing it on some occasions) and I find it easier to interact using an app than issuing orders to a virtual assistant like some privileged sociopath. I don't use the Google [voice] Assistant on my phone.

I have a smart TV and am smart phone and am happy with those. No experience of the doorbells or heating. I can see the value in them

Yes ... lots!

It started with a replacement boiler and a Hive thermostat, which in time has become the least viable use-case for smart tech. I simply don't want my heating turning off when a window opens or when I leave the house. Most importantly (take note) this is from the earlier type of smart tech which requires a permanent internet connection for the controller app to actually work. Many of the older style (and this includes Alexa) does the processing in the manufacturer data centre and sends the instruction back to your house.

With Alexa, there was some work on being able to support the zigbee protocol generally, but it was patchy at best. I have read they have it in the works that processing will be done locally and won't require a live internet connection ... maybe it's a thing now, dunno.

What I found over the few years of using smart tech is that it is a huge jumble of unconnectable and non-interoperable stuff that really ought to be a lot easier, especially given it all sits on an open protocol called zigbee. If you're a nerd, yes, there's HomeAssistant and that will make the lot work together perfectly well.

As an example, you can buy cheap buttons from Aqara but the Aqara app will only work with Aqara stuff, so unless you want to operate a curtain or blind you're pretty much stuffed. Yes, it'll all work swimmingly with Apple HomeKit and that is where you can get the buttons to connect to a whole heap of other stuff which might be supported by Apple HomeKit < not everything is and it tends to be the more expensive stuff. The buttons don't work in Alexa (well, actually something happened in the last month and now they do but nobody else seems to have realised).

Another example is the temperature sensors from, say, Aqara which can do temperature, humidity and air pressure - all these can be seen the Aqara app but only the temperature is visible in Alexa and only the temperature and humidity in HomeKit.

Yet another example is the Hive stuff - so, you can get the contact sensors (for doors and windows) which say they're HomeKit compatible but actually, they don't work at all in HomeKit, just Alexa ... but then you can't use them to trigger anything in Alexa because you need a logic/automation engine like HomeKit has.

Urgh!

So, at the top I said I have a lot of smart tech ...

Yes, I do ... and no doubt you want the shortcut to what it is you should buy. Well, the answer there is always based on what do you want to do?

In the simplest sense, much home automation can be achieved through cheap inbuild RFID/light sensor lights which you can put in cupboards and so on. Voila! Open the door and the light comes on. I have several in cupboards and one above the loo, so I can shamble into the bathroom in the middle of the night without having to put the light on and wake myself up!

Then there's the more complex ...

I have a number of plugs from Meross, bulbs from Meross, THP/TVOC sensors from Aqara, buttons from Aqara and the Hive heating system. All of that is tied together through Apple HomeKit which uses an Apple HomePod as the "at home base" (equivalent of an Alexahub speaker). I use Apple HomeKit app and that ties together all sorts of automations and multiple operations on the buttons.

Simple one is by the bed, I have a button which when pushed once runs the goodnight scene which turns all sorts of tech in the house off (also saving energy) and a couple of night lights on. Press twice (double-click) and all the lights through the whole house come on - kinda like an emergency situation. I have several automations, like certain lights coming on at sunset or off at midnight regardless ... or our night lights (triggered manually at night) going off at sunrise.

With automation and buttons, I don't need to use my mouth "Alexa ... do this ... do that ... whatever" and so can avoid that awful thing. Don't get me started on Google Home - dear lord, that's crap! I do have Alexa available, because I do have Amazon Firestick TV devices, so I can say "Alexa, show me the garden" and the respective Blink camera will show on the TV.

Ah, cameras ... yeah, whole heap of random there. Blink is cheap and cheerful, but without a subscription and a live internet they're pretty useless. I say useless, but for what? For security, they're useless. For having a camera in a place you don't want to run a wire to they're actually okay. No subscription and you can still save video to a USB stick, but it's not as slick as with a subscription. I have a few around the garden, pointed at exterior doors and watching the woodland at the back for the wildlife - badgers, foxes and even deer.

... but in short, it's a bit of a bind to get much of this stuff working together in any single application. HomeKit is about as close as I've got for most of my stuff, but it comes up short for voice (Siri is crap ... Alexa is massively better, but annoying) and as I said, tends to be the more expensive stuff that is compatible. But, you get what you pay for. Alexa might be a good start, but you'll need to find your own path as to what you want to do and whether it'll work together with everything else.

Used from outside of the house? Very rarely, but I have had to connect back and double-check I'd turned the whatever off (like the Christmas tree lights) ... and I run a slightly different routine on the lights and things when we're on holiday. I do have a Blink doorbell, which has been useful on only a couple of occasions but for me and generally more of an interruption (plinging my phone), mostly it's a convenience thing of having a button/switch that can run a scene to do multiple things and being able to have those things automate, predominantly at sunset/sunrise or only on weekdays.

Last edited:
Yes ... lots!

It started with a replacement boiler and a Hive thermostat, which in time has become the least viable use-case for smart tech. I simply don't want my heating turning off when a window opens or when I leave the house. Most importantly (take note) this is from the earlier type of smart tech which requires a permanent internet connection for the controller app to actually work. Many of the older style (and this includes Alexa) does the processing in the manufacturer data centre and sends the instruction back to your house.

With Alexa, there was some work on being able to support the zigbee protocol generally, but it was patchy at best. I have read they have it in the works that processing will be done locally and won't require a live internet connection ... maybe it's a thing now, dunno.

What I found over the few years of using smart tech is that it is a huge jumble of unconnectable and non-interoperable stuff that really ought to be a lot easier, especially given it all sits on an open protocol called zigbee. If you're a nerd, yes, there's HomeAssistant and that will make the lot work together perfectly well.

As an example, you can buy cheap buttons from Aqara but the Aqara app will only work with Aqara stuff, so unless you want to operate a curtain or blind you're pretty much stuffed. Yes, it'll all work swimmingly with Apple HomeKit and that is where you can get the buttons to connect to a whole heap of other stuff which might be supported by Apple HomeKit < not everything is and it tends to be the more expensive stuff. The buttons don't work in Alexa (well, actually something happened in the last month and now they do but nobody else seems to have realised).

Another example is the temperature sensors from, say, Aqara which can do temperature, humidity and air pressure - all these can be seen the Aqara app but only the temperature is visible in Alexa and only the temperature and humidity in HomeKit.

Yet another example is the Hive stuff - so, you can get the contact sensors (for doors and windows) which say they're HomeKit compatible but actually, they don't work at all in HomeKit, just Alexa ... but then you can't use them to trigger anything in Alexa because you need a logic/automation engine like HomeKit has.

Urgh!

So, at the top I said I have a lot of smart tech ...

Yes, I do ... and no doubt you want the shortcut to what it is you should buy. Well, the answer there is always based on what do you want to do?

In the simplest sense, much home automation can be achieved through cheap inbuild RFID/light sensor lights which you can put in cupboards and so on. Voila! Open the door and the light comes on. I have several in cupboards and one above the loo, so I can shamble into the bathroom in the middle of the night without having to put the light on and wake myself up!

Then there's the more complex ...

I have a number of plugs from Meross, bulbs from Meross, THP/TVOC sensors from Aqara, buttons from Aqara and the Hive heating system. All of that is tied together through Apple HomeKit which uses an Apple HomePod as the "at home base" (equivalent of an Alexahub speaker). I use Apple HomeKit app and that ties together all sorts of automations and multiple operations on the buttons.

Simple one is by the bed, I have a button which when pushed once runs the goodnight scene which turns all sorts of tech in the house off (also saving energy) and a couple of night lights on. Press twice (double-click) and all the lights through the whole house come on - kinda like an emergency situation. I have several automations, like certain lights coming on at sunset or off at midnight regardless ... or our night lights (triggered manually at night) going off at sunrise.

With automation and buttons, I don't need to use my mouth "Alexa ... do this ... do that ... whatever" and so can avoid that awful thing. Don't get me started on Google Home - dear lord, that's crap! I do have Alexa available, because I do have Amazon Firestick TV devices, so I can say "Alexa, show me the garden" and the respective Blink camera will show on the TV.

Ah, cameras ... yeah, whole heap of random there. Blink is cheap and cheerful, but without a subscription and a live internet they're pretty useless. I say useless, but for what? For security, they're useless. For having a camera in a place you don't want to run a wire to they're actually okay. No subscription and you can still save video to a USB stick, but it's not as slick as with a subscription. I have a few around the garden, pointed at exterior doors and watching the woodland at the back for the wildlife - badgers, foxes and even deer.

... but in short, it's a bit of a bind to get much of this stuff working together in any single application. HomeKit is about as close as I've got for most of my stuff, but it comes up short for voice (Siri is crap ... Alexa is massively better, but annoying) and as I said, tends to be the more expensive stuff that is compatible. But, you get what you pay for. Alexa might be a good start, but you'll need to find your own path as to what you want to do and whether it'll work together with everything else.

Used from outside of the house? Very rarely, but I have had to connect back and double-check I'd turned the whatever off (like the Christmas tree lights) ... and I run a slightly different routine on the lights and things when we're on holiday. I do have a Blink doorbell, which has been useful on only a couple of occasions but for me and generally more of an interruption (plinging my phone), mostly it's a convenience thing of having a button/switch that can run a scene to do multiple things and being able to have those things automate, predominantly at sunset/sunrise or only on weekdays.
Thank you, Paul for the detailed reply! Sounds like there is plenty of research to be done - starting with thermostats.

Cheers, Richard

Your first purchase does kinda set the tone for your ongoing setup.

As I said, I have a Hive thermostat and wouldn't recommend it now. It's old tech really and they don't appear to embracing modern trends (like Matter) or really bringing anything new to the table. Mate of mine has a Nest, but he's a big Google fan. Blowed if I know what to recommend there, but maybe take a look at Tado.

Beyond that, I find Meross/Refoss the best for plug points and they also do plug strips. Their app is pretty good and they'll integrate with Alexa if that's the way you go (or HomeKit if you buy the right variant) for "Alexa, turn the TV off" kinda action. Meross bulbs are rock-solid, too, and happily live with being switched off at the wall because initially you'll struggle to get the right integration with control buttons and/or smart switches ... and the Mrs will always use the switch rather than anything smart.

Amazon's upcoming Echo Hub looks pretty good: http://tinyurl.com/4zcem649 ... maybe that'll get you started and you can build around it, especially if you're looking at the Blink/Ring gear. I've tinyurl'd the link coz this forum does weird thing with Amazon links.

Hive thermostat, which is very usefull. We leave it on a very low setting and just boost it via the app or via the thermostat if we want the house warming. Have saved a fortune over the years this way and it has the house heated just as much as we actually want it heated.

Ring doorbell too, which is ok. Took a bit of playing around with the wifi to get it to not be laggy, but now it works well.

Used to have Alexa, but ditched it from all systems (including Sonos) because it just went off on its own too often + because of privacy concerns (i always disable microphone access where ever possible)

I deal with home / office automation systems via work often and dont have any real desire for them at home.

Back
Top Bottom