Small camera.

Current photography duties seem to be falling to the Samsung Galaxy Y. And frankly its pants.

My issue is that over the years I have sort of spiralled downwards from an OM10 with all the kit and a selection of lenses to a 35mm compact Rihco SLR, to a Samsung 35mm zoom thingy (auto) back up to the current steed which is an aged Fuji S5000 Digital faux SLR.
The picture quality on the Fuji is very good, the optics are superb and though only maxing out at 5MP the quality of picture I get is fine for me. The downside is that it needs an add on telephoto lens (which I have) to get good zoom shots and isnt exactly pocket friendly.
Which is why the Samsung Phone gets used.

So Christmas is coming and Im thinking of asking Mrs Ted for a new camera. But I cant make my mind up between something like the Nikon J1 or something like the Sony cybershot DSC-HX9, which is pocket sized, has a 16x optical zoom and quite probably will get more use than a J1 which would require lens changes and so on - the J1 would allow me to use filters whereas the Sony would not.

Hmmmm:huh:

Opinions please.

I have a 12 (or possibly 14) megapixel Sony Cybershot compact something or other that was a freebie - it's most excellent in terms of optics and all that jazz... the Sony sensors are good enough that Nikon use them in their SLRs so there's no room for complaint there either. Most pocketable device too - smaller than a packet of 20 cigarettes.

I use a Nikon D80 DSLR, but for many years used a Canon G7 and G9, and the quality and control you can get from that camera is equal to most DSLR cameras, also build quality superb built like a tank full alloy body, total user control, as far as i'm concernd the best compact money can buy.

Jamie.

Good on you for the OM10! I've got an e410 at the moment. I upgraded when my Ricoh CX1 died. I'd completely advocate any of the CX series, they are truly professional back up cameras and the features in the later ones give you more and more manual settings.

OTOH, the Canon Gs are good, as are the Panasonic TZ range.

When I wanted to go digital about 3 years ago, I went to the same, local, indie camera shop I got my old automatic 35mm from. He recommended a Ricoh R-series; though he suggested what was then the old model, the R8, as he felt that the improvements that had been made in the upgrade to the R9 weren't dramatic enough to justify the extra cost. I must confess I'm not much of a photographer, but I've taken some pretty nice shots with it despite having no discernable photographic talent whatsoever.

Thank you for the suggestions
Having spent some time looking at reviews and comparisons, I think I am going to plump with a Sony DSCHX9VB Cyber-shot. This seems a nice mix and I wont be getting rid of the Fuji S5000, so what the Sony lacks (decent Macro) the Fuji compensates for.

Sony are knocking out refurbished examples at £160 with 12 months warranty which suits me fine, and leaves me with a few pounds to spend on shaving products.
133889.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom