Single edge razor of the day.

Then it needs a day out
I've just hauled out my boxes of Rocnels, which contain:-
- a regular DE model DE-P
- the Gem type DE-G in black (a real challenge, that one)
- the halved DE blade model which is also a "P" designation-SE-P
- the AC model which is SE50. This has the top cap which slides out horizontally and which is retained by an Allen-keyed grubscrew which also serves to screw the handle on to. The "50", as I understand it, refers to the width of an AC blade.

Pictured in order left to right.

Unless my eyes are deceiving me, or my inventory is up the creek, I think the razor in question is the SE-P rather than the SE50.

Last edited:
And you are probably right knowing me. Thanks for the correction

I know this is an SE thread but what are the Rocnel DE's like?
Thanks.

It's a nice enough razor, very well made. It "sort of" fits in the same bracket as my Barbaros TR1, Wolfman WR1, ATT 2012 R; medium razors, which are quality stainless, shave well but don't have any special or unique performance characteristics. The other thing they have in common is that they ain't cheap.

Back on the SE side, Rocnel used the suffixes -P, -G and 50 respectively for DE, Gem and AC blade razors. The halved and whole DEs are then differentiated by naming them SE-P and DE-P. Presumably "P" has some significance, but what it may be, eludes me. It doesn't help in identification that the razors have minimal markings, the boxes have no razor name/designations, nor do the cards with the red wax seals, and I've had to go back over invoices, relate them to the razors and dates of purchase, and put a note in each box.

I like the SE50 razor, but the SE-P and the Gem SE-G require me to dare myself to use them. I've had to trim a little off certain blades in the SE-P when they've stuck out too far, and both need care to position the blades precisely.

I've had to trim a little off certain blades in the SE-P when they've stuck out too far, and both need care to position the blades precisely.

I found that one out for myself. Depends how they snap and find I have to be choosy over which half I use. I also find positioning makes a huge difference and how they snap. If they snap with a curled edge that can be testing on the nerves. And then of course having to snap the tabs off. Not much of a blade left by then other than the sharp bit.

First time I ended up with half a Polsilver sticking the end of my finger.

Painful, and too much claret in the washbasin isn't good. The SE-P is a masterclass in machining something that precise, and is a great demonstration of a design that on the face of it shouldn't work, but does. The tab removal is a real PITA, but in the end I resorted to sharp scissors and a pre-cut. A pity that loading and unloading it is probably best-achieved wearing knife-proof gloves.

With these half-DEs, I think that the Twig has pretty well solved most problems, followed by the Focus Dynamic, but the latter isn't always a "right first time" load.

The SE-P is a masterclass in machining something that precise, and is a great demonstration of a design that on the face of it shouldn't work, but does.

I share your thoughts there. It is an incredible piece of engineering and the blade slot is something else. I still can't work out how they managed it as it is slightly curved if I recall (away at the moment)

Against its scary approach there is something very fulfilling about using it and it certainly delivers.....once you've sorted the blade out and got it right

Last edited:
View attachment 71979

Stainless Colonial General. The razor which made me realise there was much better than the aluminium Hawk.
A good razor. I have the tri-metal trio, and the brass is currently in use. I think the first AC razors I bought were Mongoose and Alumigoose, but I can't recall the last time I used them. My big favourite among the ACs is the Occam's, original version.

I sometimes try to work out why some of these razors are, to me, better performers than others, despite most being basically very similar. Still haven't decided.

The stainless Mongoose stands near the top in my pick of the bunch. There is just something about it which makes it a pleasure to use with consistent results. Never got on with aluminium version despite being not that much different outside of the material choice.

The original Generals are startlingly brilliant and yet such a simple design. Just well executed and manufactured. The V2 is quite a move away from the previous generation and a nice take on the modern slant of narrow heads. Works superbly.

I am down on the list for the new Claymore but something tells me it ain't going to be that far away from the Generals.

The Enoch? A Cobra in a different disguise.