Singapore Grand Prix

Spectacle and location are certainly impressive.
I don't think much of the track though. There is nowhere to overtake and I found the race a bit boring like last years.
Fido, I take it you are an F1 fan, as am I. Any suggestions on how to increase overtaking? I don't think the new rules have worked.
Maybe rather than a rear wing, all cars should mount a devise to increase drag. A small wall perhaps.
Or perhaps mount guns.

computer games have a good solution, but its unlikely to work in real life. If you play a two player race, the computer gives more oomph to the second car. If it then overtakes the new second place car will have the oomph.

Hi there
I have followed all major sports since childhood and played several.
Formula 1 is fantastic. I don't pretend to understand it's finer points. I guess the very limited overtaking opportunities on several tracks makes it even more exciting as drivers are tested at their limit because there are so few places to pass. I don't pretend to understand the rule changes. I'm still working out all these power plays in cricket! And rugby! I'm always wondering why the ref blows for technical infringements.
The race was a bit boring yesterday. But from my point of view I was in a permanent state of tension for two things. I wanted Hamilton to win. And you know how things go wrong, even at the finish. And I wanted Jenson to improve his points position. And he did. So I was happy. Just as I was later as England brilliantly beat the South Africans. In fact the only bad thing this weekend was Pompey's outrageous lack of luck against Everton.

The rule changes were designed to assist overtaking such has having the KERS system to give extra power to pass. However as usual this doesn't really work because when the driver presses KERS to pass, the car in front also presses KERS and everybody remains in the same order.

You prompted me to seek further enlightenment!

The power of the internet!

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAvexjr2ax0">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAvexjr2ax0</a><!-- m -->

I enjoy F1, and whilst this particular track is a spectacle, it doesn't really encourage 'racing'. I find that most street circuits, including Monaco, are similar. They strike me as being more of a PR job than a proper race. I still enjoy these street tracks, but slightly less.

Ian

How did those car's pass their MOT's without any lights.

The KERS system can work on certain tracks but not all teams use it plus there is the added power/weight to be considered. As usual with F1 everything except the racing is interesting. IMO.

Flatfish said:
Spectacle and location are certainly impressive.
I don't think much of the track though. There is nowhere to overtake and I found the race a bit boring like last years.
Fido, I take it you are an F1 fan, as am I. Any suggestions on how to increase overtaking? I don't think the new rules have worked.
Maybe rather than a rear wing, all cars should mount a devise to increase drag. A small wall perhaps.
Or perhaps mount guns.

computer games have a good solution, but its unlikely to work in real life. If you play a two player race, the computer gives more oomph to the second car. If it then overtakes the new second place car will have the oomph.

I reckon they should all be fitted with a turbo boost like KITT on Knight Rider so they can jump over each other :D

Stitch306 said:
I reckon they should all be fitted with a turbo boost like KITT on Knight Rider so they can jump over each other :D

Or extendable legs to drive over other cars like in the Whacky Races. Actually, I think that a real life version of Whacky Races would be an excellent way to encourage me to watch motor racing. :D

At Suzuka now.

Great to see a purpose built track track, people and some great action. Can you imagine overtaking at high speed through such small gaps! Race started at 6am today. Some great camerawork.

Back
Top Bottom