Simpsons Tulip - worth the wonga?

Just wondered whether people rate this brush, and whether it is worth the money?

I know there are alternatives out there, but for the purposes of this im more interested in opnions on this brush gentlemen......

Cheers

I had a T2 in three band Super.

I wish I hadn't sold it - it was really very nice. Love the handle - feels great in the hand, perhaps even my all time favourite handle, come to think of it.

It's fairly dense but not as dense as the Chubbies or the Duke. This is a good thing in my opinion, it puts the lather on your face, rather than keep it to itself like so many of these ultra-dense brushes.

Is it worth it? I'm not sure. After Fido's 2201, many popular brushes seem to be a rip-off in comparison....

John

I have a Simpson Tulip 2 in 2-band Super and use it daily.

It is a very nice brush.

Not as inexpensive as a Fido but less than a Plisson.

There are lots and lots and lots of brushes out there.

I'm pleased I saw this. Reminded me to write up another entry for my blog. I paid £60 for this Tulip 1 Super from one of Badger and Hone's special offers. Full price is around £85. It's still a lot of money for a small brush. Many people love the design and feel of this handle. It doesn't do it for me - I'm not keen on the shape of the top part. The point is, judgement of a brush is such a personal thing. There are four different sizes, the standard hair is Super but it can be bought in two band. And once again your perfect size and hair type is your own choice among these. My little Tulip is the usual high quality Simpson brush. But at 21mm knot and a 45 loft it is too small for me. But face latherers might love it!

So there's no real answer to your question. It depends on exactly which Tulip brush you like and what you are comparing it with. It does have an unusual handle, so that may swing it for you. But it's still a lot of money.

Tulip.jpg

Thanks for all the replies. The reason i asked this is that I used to own one of these. I loved it, it made great lather but for me it felt too nice to scrub on my face and soaps each day. Dont know why, maybe the price.

At the time though most simpsons were regarded at any price point because lets face it, they are quality brushes.

I just wondered if opinions had changed slightly given that there are a few options at a more reasonable price level now, and whethere people felt a brush such as this was worth the price tag.

I think it is worth it, it really comes down to if you like it. I do find the Tulip and Milk Churn type shapes less pleasing to hold but the hair is the same and that is where it really counts. I have even seen a few Tulip 2B brushes out there :hungrig

I will buy one eventually and there is no reason why you should not if you like it, I would like to have one of each type of the Simpsons range one day. Can't speak with authority on this particular one as I don't own one but I have never seen any overly negative comments on it.

Back
Top Bottom