Simpson Trafalgar

Had a few shaves this week with my new T3, and it's quickly become my favourite brush.
I always had reservations about the Simpson synthetics because of the short loft, thought they would be a bit poky or prickly, not in the slightest :) plenty of backbone but soft on the face.
For Simpsons to put out a brush of this quality for the price it is, is brilliant. I'm a sucker for trad ivory and the handle is very comfortable and feels substantial.
Hats off to Simpsons for the Trafalgar, a great brush.

This is interesting. I thought about one of these but wasn't sure, as the bulb shape and loft made me think it would be too hard even with soft synthetic tips. I was thinking my next brush upgrade might be a PAA as they seem to be well loved but I also like the traditional style of the Simpson. I just couldn't shake off the idea that the Trafalgar was the "poor relation" even though the Chubby is out of my price range. Might have to give one a go. Although I'm also wondering about travel brushes at the moment.

I must go into hibernation again. Had no intention of getting any more brushes. Until I looked at this thread. Three clicks and it’s on its way.
I came off the forum for quite a few years (maybe 10). A few months later, a new razor, a vintage razor, two new brushes and enough shave soap and cream to see me to the next decade. I've gone back to glancing looks at it now.

The T3 arrived today. Looks and feels excellent. The tips are incredibly soft yet the knot has plenty of backbone. I lathered it up a couple of times, washed and dried it and it looks exactly like it does in the photo on taking it out of the box. First proper run out in the morning. I cannot quite get my mind round Simpsons strategy. They are producing synthetics using their traditional logo and charging their usual luxury product prices. Yet now they have simply put a different logo on and produced three brushes priced to compete with Yaqi. I guess they aim to remain at the top end but also to take a share of the lower end of the market. I’m now looking forward to getting my Yaqi synth and doing a comparison.

.7F043A31-262D-4DDE-B4B0-4C65DFC2B9C6.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve also noticed that on some of their brushes they changed the name to Simpsons, omitting the apostrophe. And, they haven’t used the traditional gold transfer. Not to my liking in the least not to mention puzzling.

I don’t judge a brush on first use but so far so good. The quality of the handle and synthetic hair is excellent. I lathered my hybrid Palmolive/Argo soap. Plenty of lather. I paint the lather on and the brush has soft yet firm tips that make it easy to apply. I did briefly see how it worked with a mashing motion and that was much less comfortable than my badger brushes. Simpsons recommend painting for all their brushes. That’s certainly the way I will use this brush. Synths have come a long way since I last tried one. If you have any scruples about the use of badger hair you will be more than happy with this Simpsons offering.

I added a T2 to my T3 a few weeks ago. The more I use these brushes the more impressed I am. If I was just starting wet shaving I wouldn’t dream of spending a small fortune on a badger brush. The present crop of synthetic brushes are all you need for a perfect shave. If you have scruples about cruelty to badgers you have your answer. If you are an addictive, obsessive collector carry on spending and enjoy your badger brushes. I’ll continue to use mine but the synths will be in the rotation too.

Back
Top Bottom