Shredder

We seem to end up with so much paper in our house that I would take a life time to shred it all with our hopeless strip shredder which I think takes about 5 sheets at a time. So I just bung it in the recycling. Haven't had my identity stolen yet, but if someone would like to swop identities, I'm open to offers.

Look for cross cut, which is what HM mentioned. I bought a Fellowes one which has really rubbish reviews on Amazon, a PS-62C three years ago. Mine has never failed, copes with up to half a dozen sheets of paper at a go and tears through credit cards and CD's. Once in a blue moon I squirt oil on a piece of paper and run that through it.

Every home use model will cut out if you sit and feed it for 20 mins. I think a lot of people get antsy about throwing out credit card cheques and bills and buy a home use model and expect it to eat years of old bills when they decide to have a clear out after getting it. I did this when when I got mine and yes after a while it cut out with overheat self protection, once you have that initial glut out the way I just shred them as they come in and its not a problem.

Overall it depends on how often you want to use it, for home office and domestic use most of the cross cut ones will do the job just fine and you can get one that will cope with cards, staples and CD's for under the £50 mark, less if you don't need this ability. For office use expect to pay a good it more.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/shredder,-paper-shredder,-recycling,-Eba-Tarnator-400_W0QQitemZ280459426968QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20100202?IMSfp=TL100202197001r25764" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/shredder,-paper-s ... 7001r25764</a><!-- m -->

Back in the dim and distant, I made credit cards for a living. The botched ones went through one of these.

That's one serious shredder, we had one something like that in a place I worked a while ago for shredding any failed computer parts. This company was so paranoid that no parts ever leave the site. They buy all equipment with no warranty because they are never going to let any of it get swapped out, anything that could have ever retained any data including network and RAID cards, hard drives, system boards and CPU's absolutely everything was secure shredded then sent for fragmentisation and metal extraction.

There is money in shredding for a living these days.

gerbil1.jpg

Burning's a good idea if you have a lot of paper to get rid of. In the past I've waited until I had a bonfire and just bunged the lot on. Perhaps not so good at this time of year though.

Soon to be 7 guinea pigs, I've just been told. Apparently there's a rescue alpaca guinea pig in Perth with our name on it.

How do I resist?

I'm allowed to buy shaving and tea stuff. Sometimes I'm even allowed out to play.

Back
Top Bottom